Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Read: Museum of Terror 3

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Many films have been made off of the work of Junji Ito, but I am sad to say each attempt was half-hearted or botched. It all started when Ringu created somewhat of a boom in Asian horror and in 1999 the first Tomie movie was released. The ninth Tomie movie, Tomie Unlimited, was released in 2011. The Tomie films are universally atrocious and between them many of Ito's short stories were made into obscure films, some of which are impossible to find and most are a chore to get through.

The most recent adaption of Junji Ito's work was a low-budget anime version of Gyo, released February 15, 2012. Fifteen minutes into the movie there is an explicit double-penetration sex scene, safe to say the movie failed to adapt Ito's work.

For some reason any film based on Ito's work has a dismal pace. Even the ones which don't look like Garth Marenghi's Dark Place are slow, tedious and at best offer nothing more than a few glorified scenes of silly looking effects. The only one I could recommend watching is the film version of Uzumaki. It is slow and tedious but watchable, and it won't ruin the original manga because it deviates so heavily from it that it may well be said to be inspired by Junji Ito's Uzumaki rather than being based on it.

An honorable mention goes to Long Dream (film version of an Ito one-shot, more info, along with the one-shot, is found further down this post), but beyond Long Dream and Uzumaki the only reason to watch any film version of Ito's work is out of novelty and because you read the original manga and wonder how in goodness name they are going to pull it off. Sadly they never pull it off and indeed make a poor attempt at even trying.

Eastern horror is much like western horror, meaning it is a cesspool of films which are not scary but merely have a macabre theme. I wish I knew more of eastern horror films than I do but whenever I re-delve into the genre I find myself wishing I had not wasted my time. Whatever you do never touch the remakes until you've seen the original, and be wary because most ended up being remade even if they didn't have the publicity and success of Ringu.

I can recommend only five movies off the top of my head:
A Tale of Two Sisters (South Korean, made in 2003. The American remake was called The Uninvited).
Shutter (Taiwanese film from 2004, American remake was made in 2008 under the same title).
Loft (Japanese, made in 2005. Not a great movie but fairly interesting).
Hausu (Japanese, made in 1977. Horrifying but not scary. It is also funny, and will leave your brain feeling like it has been violated).
Matango (Japanese, made in 1963. Rather legendary this one, not scary or horrifying but interesting and at times rather funny).

I have on me a few of the short stories made into films. One has already been put up here; yes, The Face Burglar was actually made into a film, released in 2000. The rest which I have are found below.

The Hanging Balloons was a film released in 2000. It was an anthology of three short films based on three Ito short stories: Demonology, The Long Hair in the Attic (found above as the fifth story) and the story it is named after 'The Hanging Balloons'. The short movies were made for television broadcast and later released on a DVD which is hard to come across. I feel I have heard the name 'Demonology' as the title of some Ito story but can't seem to unearth it or recall what it could have been about; however, below you will find a delightful read in Junji Ito's 'The Hanging Balloons'.
Td8Hl.jpg

NyhJk.jpg

VkhYy.jpg

a39C2.jpg

xRrqf.jpg

u82cq.jpg

LwBNE.jpg

vW6aK.jpg

RXEhZ.jpg

y5vXs.jpg

xaaQu.jpg

Xg6vh.jpg

9MJNW.jpg

QEzWj.jpg

FMwof.jpg

gSM0o.jpg

jG9h6.jpg

2NTnr.jpg

RJvIv.jpg

mcrCv.jpg

vZahf.jpg

yLSBu.jpg

JMdGt.jpg

FDjF6.jpg

orhpB.jpg

BIjgz.jpg

lLO5y.jpg

EQdze.jpg

NrxMw.jpg

Qm8qJ.jpg

GPkpd.jpg

PklWt.jpg

XsMVh.jpg

aYxCg.jpg

HWeNm.jpg

ylXLZ.jpg

pOn2f.jpg

XFTi2.jpg

wsNiO.jpg

kww3J.jpg

0DjF6.jpg

fMHn9.jpg

NowAC.jpg

IJW0t.jpg

fDX11.jpg

N16ik.jpg

Wjh7z.jpg

eb1B7.jpg

Mt6nX.jpg

FfxbQ.jpg

uXXBq.jpg

GUVDa.jpg

sqLwi.jpg

NKDA5.jpg

a8Umh.jpg

lI1La.jpg

GdUyh.jpg

kb0oy.jpg

zMcYA.jpg

tuMNo.jpg

MZaQx.jpgv

R08Je.jpg

The Groaning Drain was the name of the film version of an Ito story titled 'Slug Girl'. It was released in 2004 and went direct to video; however, below you'll find the comic it was based on.
dWqLk.jpg

TlkOa.jpg

wOrDs.jpg

eMSly.jpg

WqVJb.jpg

jSSDG.jpg

wzMbq.jpg

MYdH3.jpg

CUIfH.jpg

cMztp.jpg

Tr9Se.jpg

GJa2i.jpg

ZkN5m.jpg

S1kx2.jpg

8FFtf.jpg

cAiKd.jpg

Long Dream is a fantastic Ito story and one of the better attempts at adapting one. The film version was a one-hour made-for-tv drama and next to Uzumaki is the only film version of Ito's work worth ones time. Below is the original one-shot.
GzZIe.jpg

ncaOW.jpg

B93if.jpg

nlXJR.jpg

SQ7JI.jpg

5SjBB.jpg

ihVVo.jpg

miQp3.jpg

ri1qi.jpg

akg9e.jpg

SXmjy.jpg

sOeko.jpg

DLRnh.jpg

MDypi.jpg

AvrbE.jpg

9bbl5.jpg

BpZk7.jpg

uVlOF.jpg

D6qp6.jpg

z2gt8.jpg

bWhlC.jpg

Q3iRs.jpg

j6vz8.jpg

9QKLz.jpg

iASZO.jpg

KbktI.jpg

Aad8K.jpg

XyVZF.jpg

WMwBU.jpg

iEUPR.jpg

JZojX.jpg

EvkEL.jpg

Further info and screens of some of the more obscure films based off of Ito's work can be found at the Junji Ito Index, and recently some gracious soul put up a mediafire folder containing a glorious collection of Ito's work along with the movie version of Uzumaki and Long Dream along with the anime version of Gyo, it can be found here.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
LoPan, you true brother you. Thanks for the advice on the movies, I'll be working shortly to find them all.

I think I'll be starting with Uzumaki since I've already read the manga. Thanks, bro! :love:

LoPan

Learned
EDIT: I'm afraid the image problem keeps throwing me through a loop. Perhaps imgur has become unstable, or perhaps image bloat is indeed causing the problems. For now the issue has me beat, I'll observe what occurs and see if I can fix it, but if there is a fix it won't be any time soon. Luckily the Dark Horse version of Museum of Terror 3 can be found in the glorious collection of Ito linked before, now found at the top of the original post as well.

The imgur upload seems to fluctuate, and some images become unavailable for unpredictable periods of time. Fixing the picture bloat is a good idea none the less, but it may have had nothing to do with the imgur problem. I'm going to re-upload the whole thing on an account, something I had, rather foolishly, not actually done, and see if it emends the issue. I'll edit this post once the full re-upload is done.

Sacculina

Educated
The most recent adaption of Junji Ito's work was a low-budget anime version of Gyo, released February 15, 2012. Fifteen minutes into the movie there is an explicit double-penetration sex scene, safe to say the movie failed to adapt Ito's work.

gyo-631145.jpeg

:what:

I can recommend only five movies off the top of my head:
A Tale of Two Sisters
Seconded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom