Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play... WHAT THE FUCK AM I PLAYING

Now, normally when you make an LP of a game you do it because you know the game's good and you want to show people how cool it is. Or you know it's bad and you want to show how much it sucks.

This LP...

...is different.

I've never played Magna Carta: The Phantom Of Avalanche and I only have a vague idea about what it is. I know it's a jRPG from Good Korea, which I could call kRPG but no one would fall for that one. Then again it does come with a patch, which is amazing in itself. See, that's because koreans, unlike japs, actually game on their PCs. Mostly shitty grindan MMOs, but still, let's give them this much credit.
I also know the art was done by that one dude who often draws soft erotica and everyone likes him but not me because he's too freeform for my tastes.

So there you go. Into the unknown! Let's play!

I guess this is where I'm supposed to post link to YT intro, and I'll do just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsbx8EF8lA

But you're welcome to skip it, the only notable thing in it is that the main hero has painted nails. Yes, that chick in white with the sword is a man.

Let's just move on to the main menu.

29125174511057770448.jpg

Holy mouse control, Batman! A cursor! I see this is a hardcore PC position after all, there's even current version number. Also I don't think we need both Load *and* Continue but whatever, maybe they felt if they gave us only three options to choose from it would look poor.

On with it, then.

77685226854920166744.jpg

Well that's convenient, I'm pretty sure this single panel describes 90% of story in this game. Someone wants to be more human so he goes and kills the planet and becomes ultimate human but in fact loses his humanity in the process! Probably.

55431387364447422578.jpg

The game starts with a movie they ran out of the budget for. There's this chick standing in deep space and as the camera goes around her there's this dude behind.

75621434546236903169.jpg

And then he kills her. OR DOES HE?

61599064078156756190.jpg

65506746303022402009.jpg

92354802618587123925.jpg

28270725081378100859.jpg

That's the wo-man from the intro you didn't see. Seems like we'll be playing him through this game. And don't be fooled by that arrow in the dialogue window, THE DIALOGUE DOES NOT WAIT FOR YOUR INPUT! IT JUST APPEARS AND GOES AWAY! That's so innovative I'm beginning to think the term "kRPG" is well deserved after all.

Also, all this is voiced in korean. Which sounds better than japanese actually.

39873498088617088753.jpg

40932483359114452347.jpg

Because the text just floats by I can't alt-tab and write it down with funnay avatars. I hope it's only like that in the cutscenes or this LP will quickly become several gigabytes big.

Anyway, after that Mackbethian exposition we finally get into the game.

53467232611076580510.jpg

The controls are Desert Strike-like, that is when you press forward the character moves forward relative to him, which ends up in me accidentally going the wrong way first time I try to move.

73444393132544701446.jpg

Cool story bro. Reflecting upon my life, I probably should've tried using the mouse here. This diaologue window does NOT go away by itself, so I guess I'll be adding funnay avatars soon and alt-tabbing fifty times whenever someone ask me about grapes. Thank god.

Let's got left then. It should be noted that as you probably can see for yourself, the graphics are fucking bad. Now I know that shouldn't really matter in a game with captivating story and thourough character development, but when I don't know where the fuck I am supposed to go because I can't tell a ridge apart fro-

54033762825644014436.jpg

Well I guess here's the other feature, other than the wo-man protagonist, straight from a jRPG. Random encounters. I kind of hoped for a tutorial with rats, I have no idea how to play the game. Here's what I manage to figure out: the system is, obviously, in turns. The first blue circle is how far you can move, the rest seems to be a filler. The orange circle is your attack range. Then there are Turn Points, which can be used both for attacking and moving, so if you move too much, you can't attack, and so on. It's all startingly similiar to 3rd ED, actually.

Now that's out of the way... what in the nine hells I am fucking killing here? They look like crossovers between hamsters and kohlrabi. Well one of them does, the other is a jello and kohlrabi. What the fuck is with asians and jellos. And I shit you not, the hamster one attacks by farting. Yes, I'm 100% seriuous here, he just turns around and FARTS at you and then you explode.

Well, trying to not look at them, I execute jRPG Strategy #1 - hit them with sword until they die.

06876029769601721794.jpg

I hit them and hit them and they don't die. I have no idea how many HP they have.

27766047433915711859.jpg

BITCH. It does more damage than me FFS!

07611598794262809156.jpg

What the f...

74399635317687739460.jpg

09576699414262847457.jpg

wat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:D

That was fucking funny. Are you actually going to sit through this monstrosity or does it end here?

I've no fucking idea. I mean shit, I heard SMT is hard but when some random mob can kill you in FOUR HITS what does it say about the game?

janjetina said:
I can't follow this LP as your screenshots are hosted on a site I adblocked.

You adblocked tinypic? Proper good job mate!

Junior Boy

Educated
Haha, nice. Let's also take a moment to reflect on the shittiness of the title. I really can't think of a more random orgy of words.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Emotional Vampire said:
I've no fucking idea. I mean shit, I heard SMT is hard but when some random mob can kill you in FOUR HITS what does it say about the game?

janjetina said:
I can't follow this LP as your screenshots are hosted on a site I adblocked.

You adblocked tinypic? Proper good job mate!

The Codex made me do it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Emotional Vampire said:

That you need to read a manual?

Emotional Vampire said:
Yes, that chick in white with the sword is a man.

I'd hit it.

Emotional Vampire said:
Because the text just floats by I can't alt-tab and write it down with funnay avatars.

Screenshot and transcribe from the screenshots, perhaps?

Brother None said:
Emotional Vampire said:

What the fuck is wrong with you.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Emotional Vampire said:
Brother None said:
Emotional Vampire said:
What the fuck is wrong with you.

:(

I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Heh looks asstastic. Do keep playing my good man. My humble vote is but a way for me to inflict pain unto thee vamp.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Would be cool to see more of this LP. Not enough lulz lately in the playground.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom