Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Phantasie I for real!

DaveO said:
I just don't trust the Apple versions I got to play Phantasie II. The ROM I tried for Phantasie I is cracked, so there's no telling how that affects the game.

I may eventually do Phantasie III on the IBM with the party I played Phantasie I with. But two of you have already requested Wizard's Crown. So who wants in on the 8 character party I would use for both WC and ED?

Of course. It is a given.

Do it when you have time though, I don't want to burn out someone with the guts, fortitude and technical ability to do LP's of golden oldies.

Which Atari version would you play? Isn't there a WC for the 8 bit and then ET for the ST? Mine were on the C64, but the Atari versions had the best graphics and sound if I remember correctly.

DaveO

Erudite
The Atari 800 version is one that I have ROMs of both WC/ED. The nice thing is that I could do voice commentary to prevent sheer boredom. I'm NOT going to bore everybody with 80% of the WC game which consists of building up your party before heading for the six level final dungeon. I might chronicle one night fight, just to give players a taste of what it takes to last until dawn in Arghan. Besides the final dungeon, there is Gozaroth's place with those Golems Anthony Davis and I discussed in the first aborted Phantasie I LP thread. I'll check out the Phantasie III walkthru to decide if I want to do it or not before WC/ED, but my recollections were mainly limb removal frustrations.

P.S. - Don't worry about me burning out. I've been meaning to do LP of ED eventually, so once I start WC it's for the long haul to do ED afterwards. I've had my practice in for pacing by going thru all of the Wing Commander games on my channel.

P.S.S. - To completely exploit the Luck skill in WC/ED, my entire front four will be priests. A character with Luck will have physical attacks against them miss.

DaveO said:
The Atari 800 version is one that I have ROMs of both WC/ED. The nice thing is that I could do voice commentary to prevent sheer boredom. I'm NOT going to bore everybody with 80% of the WC game which consists of building up your party before heading for the six level final dungeon. I might chronicle one night fight, just to give players a taste of what it takes to last until dawn in Arghan. Besides the final dungeon, there is Gozaroth's place with those Golems Anthony Davis and I discussed in the first aborted Phantasie I LP thread. I'll check out the Phantasie III walkthru to decide if I want to do it or not before WC/ED, but my recollections were mainly limb removal frustrations.

P.S. - Don't worry about me burning out. I've been meaning to do LP of ED eventually, so once I start WC it's for the long haul to do ED afterwards. I've had my practice in for pacing by going thru all of the Wing Commander games on my channel.

P.S.S. - To completely exploit the Luck skill in WC/ED, my entire front four will be priests. A character with Luck will have physical attacks against them miss.

No need for complete videos of every step you make, just any good fights, some footage showing different aspects of the game (travel, camping, towns, etc), dungeon delving and so on.

Priests only? Power gamer! Don't forget to give one of them the war hammer skills with plenty of strength.

Where is a good Atari 8 bit emu? I checked on the versions, and they only made WC for the Atari ST. What were they thinking?

DaveO

Erudite
A long time ago, there used to be an Atari ROM site called Holmes. It's around again at http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/mirror/homep ... .nz/atari/. I got the Atari Windows emulator and ROMs there.

As far as my Wizard's Crown party, it will be a split between four priests and four wizards. Due to the need to have a Thief, two Priests will be Fighter/Priest/Thieves. The other two will be Fighter/Priest/Rangers. And the back row will just be Fighter/Sorcerers.

DaveO

Erudite
I never completed Phantasie III, so I don't think I'm a good choice to do a LP of that game. I'll be happy to share the party I completed Phantasie I with on the IBM version with anyone that wants to do Phantasie III.

DaveO

Erudite
I ran into a little glitch since Wizard's Crown needs data disks to play the game. Fortunately, the Holmes page I mentioned earlier fixed the problem. I had to get to the FTP level to get the data disks. The standard default party comes with the data disks, but they suck pretty bad in my opinion.

GarfunkeL, Luzur, Azira, and myself will be in the party. Anybody else want to retrieve the Crown of the Emperor, bash Golems, or just make major mayhem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom