Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Fallen Gods

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fg0788.jpg

This update should be read at about the pace of this track.

fg0743.jpg

I mentioned it in the very first update that Songstones serve as a means of fast travel around the map. As fate would have it, we are right next to one, and another is right next to loverboy jarl's castle.

fg0744.jpg

We are ambushed by a bunch of draugs. There is no way whatsoever they can harm us at this point, but I'll use the opportunity to showcase das fog pot we got in the wizard's barrow.

fg0745.jpg

Eat my dust, dust-eaters.

The fog pot is, alas, limited in uses, but it's not like we have to care about that anymore.

fg0746.jpg

Here we are.

fg0747.jpg

If only we had the strength of 30 souls!

Regardless, 9 will be enough to open it and GTFO.

fg0748.jpg

Opening the Songstone gives you a convenient minimap with all the others' locations.
god1.png
This is Norse Jesus to Commander Boreale. My party requires immediate extraction.

boreale.jpg
Where?
god1.png
Southern quadrant, but we'll be on the move.

boreale.jpg
There is no time to be lost!

fg0749.jpg

These lovably placeholder maelstroms engulf the party and transport it to the target location.

fg0750.jpg

fg0751.jpg

fg0752.jpg

Since Southgate is in the middle of a forest, I wanted to use Wild Heart to jump over the river and emerge right next to the castle.

But then it turned out that Wild Heart CAN'T jump over rivers even though THE FUCKING TUTORIAL mentions this explicitly.

Dualnames your game SUCKS, it is LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE, and YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD

fg0753.jpg

Back to the drop pods.

fg0754.jpg

Fortunately there's another gate on the other side of the river.
god1.png
We have placed numerous beacons, allowing for multiple, simultaneous and devastating defensive deep strikes.

fg0755.jpg

borealehappy.jpg
The Codex Astartes names this manoeuvre "Steel Rain".

fg0756.jpg

fg0757.jpg

Go go go. You can see the Ormson's barrow in the top right corner of the screen, so it's all really close by.

fg0758.jpg

The arm ring can be used to hire either a fighter or a skald. Obviously I get the latter.

fg0759.jpg

Shut up and follow me.

"Homeward bound" indeed :lol:

fg0760.jpg

god1.png
Move like you've got a purpose!

fg0761.jpg

On the way to the barrow I run out of food, and of course the ingrates start complaining.

fg0762.jpg

Another day down the drain.

fg0763.jpg

Obviously I teleport over 2 hexes again with Wild Heart. BECAUSE I CAN.

fg0764.jpg

fg0766.jpg

fg0768.jpg

Let's brighten this place up.

fg0769.jpg

I give him Thorn.

fg0770.jpg

Then Oraekja's Folly.

just please don't mind the horrible curse, sir

fg0771.jpg

And finally I splurge all my cash on IKEA to bedeck it as appropriate. Unfortunately, this is still not enough...
god1.png
Food for fifty should make a good feast.

priest1.png
I am ready for this holy work.

maiden1.png
Gladly would I wed him.

skald1.png
The tales of the Ormson should be sung again.

Yeah, we still need food for the hungry hungry yokels.

fg0776.jpg

Leaving the barrow...

fg0777.jpg

A good hunt gives us all the fud we need.

fg0787.jpg

Also I remembered I forgot to show the skald's character sheet, so here it is.

The skald is arguably the worst combatant of them all. He has puny might, no special boost like the maiden, and no damage bonuses like the priest. However, merely having him around gives you a boost to your Words checks, and you can also pay him gold to tell [follower]'s tales and improve their morale. A VERY useful thing to have with some of the more fussy characters.

fg0779.jpg

But back to the Ormson.

We place 50 appetising legs of meat at the barrow's doorstep to lure in some random volk from the nearby wilderness.

fg0780.jpg

And we get this party started!

There is something funny about doing almost exactly what the other party at the barrow that we smashed last time was trying to do :M

priest1.png
You have done well. Now they will see a wonder.

Given how often we used Healing Hands this game, it's only logical to use that as our final act of this run.
god1.png
Farewell, my fellow men. I may not have righted all your wrongs, but worry not, for, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

fg0783.jpg

Huzzah!

fg0784.jpg

fg0785.jpg

fg0786.jpg

Thus end the adventures of Njal - a simple priest from the shrine of Lanhyrr, recruited by Norse Jesus on the sixth day of his exile to this middle earth. Were it not for Njal's help and counsel, The Good Incarnation would have never been able to return home.

Three cheers for Njal! Hip hip, hooray!

But shall the saga of some other Incarnation yet be told...?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you enjoyed this playthrough, I can also LP another one with the paranoid or practical incarnation with an entirely different skillset if you want. Remember that this is a roguelite, so worldgen is random, and actually so is the chargen, so we haven't seen plenty of what the game has to offer still.

Regardless of that though, I'll first wait for a new build. This one has an extremely annoying bug that, as far as I heard, has already been resolved, which hides the indicator for how many days it will take you to walk somewhere. It makes planning your route resemble a complex mathematical equation.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor was playing this fun?
Yeah. Like I said in the intro, this wasn't my only run, and shit is p. good. I like that the choices in events all feel meaty and non-fake, and you're constantly working against the clock to win your way back. This playthrough we've actually won by the skin of our teeth - 5 days left is a ridiculously slim margin, and if that one barrow with the thief didn't have Thorn, we'd be toast. We were also pretty lucky that some of the setbacks like the near-wipe at the castle weren't completely catastrophic, because I'm pretty sure that an actual TPK there would have sent us on a downward spiral towards failure.

Not enough raep

:rpgcodex:

Lusty castle draugs, lusty witch, lusty party at the burial barrow not enough for you?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Winning seems very easy tho, you just need 30 souls and portal spell right? And you get souls from exploring dungeons...

Dualnames

Wormwood Studios
Developer
@Dualnames your game SUCKS, it is LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE, and YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD
Can I use Njal to defend myself outside the game?

Malakal: That was my first reaction, but in the same way that Obliterate in ROR2 is a free win, it's also simultaneously not a satisfying win to repeat.
There are also multiple winning and losing conditions.

Also there are multiple runs where I find that acquiring 30 souls is not as easy as it is in other runs.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Darth Roxor No less impressive than your LPs of Primordia and Strangeland. "The shill is coming from inside the house!"

Haba There are five victory paths, and the only run you saw was one where the Songbridge wasn't a viable option, so I don't think it railroads. Of the five, I'd say it's my fourth most common path. For various reasons, it is not always feasible to get (and keep) sufficient souls to win that way. Best way to win is to be flexible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Darth Roxor No less impressive than your LPs of Primordia and Strangeland. "The shill is coming from inside the house!"

Haba There are five victory paths, and the only run you saw was one where the Songbridge wasn't a viable option, so I don't think it railroads. Of the five, I'd say it's my fourth most common path. For various reasons, it is not always feasible to get (and keep) sufficient souls to win that way. Best way to win is to be flexible.
Are all 5 paths available every run? Or is it random?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Winning seems very easy tho, you just need 30 souls and portal spell right? And you get souls from exploring dungeons...
'Just' 30 souls is putting it rather lightly. Going just by dungeons alone, you'll have to make sure to always squeeze out the best outcomes and be conservative about using souls to get past some of the more annoying obstacles or to keep yourself going (like I did all the time with healing hands in this run).

Luka-boy

Arcane
Man, it sure was heartwarming reading about Njal's wholesome adventures with Norse Jesus.

Especially the part where he fucking slit Hilda's throat. That was very uplifting.

:love:

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The problem is that once you as a player *know* which conditions are required to win, it starts affecting the way you play the game.

Compared to the situation where you can't be certain what will be the conditions for winning the game until you discover them within the game session itself.

Of course it isn't feasible to expand the scope infinitely. For a "small game" 5 win conditions are probably are enough. But that doesn't warrant a whole lot of replay-ability.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
'Just' 30 souls is putting it rather lightly. Going just by dungeons alone, you'll have to make sure to always squeeze out the best outcomes and be conservative about using souls to get past some of the more annoying obstacles or to keep yourself going (like I did all the time with healing hands in this run).
If I knew its 30 its probably easier to stockpile. Just pointing out that one event plus resource is easy way to win. Maybe the spell should be sometimes split into parts to be gathered or something.

For maximum autism you can check soul economy in this game as a comparison.

lightbane

Arcane
I like how you stopped a human sacrifice in one side-quest that the priest was mad at, and yet he has no hesitation to cut down your waif(u) for the ritual to work.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I like how you stopped a human sacrifice in one side-quest that the priest was mad at
If you mean the barrow party with the angry undead thane, the priest was mad at us for stopping the whole thing :M

He even wanted to be the master of ceremonies there too :M

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Jaedar I think as a technical matter, it is possible for some runs to generate in such a way that certain victory paths are practically not available. For instance, I have had runs where I couldn't find any armor (though maybe that was just bad luck in certain events) and thus couldn't get the victory path you saw in this LP. A victory path is never specifically disabled from the outset. (We may have "scenarios" where there are constraints, including to victory paths, but they don't exist yet, and they would not displace the core game experience, which is open-ended.) I should also note that one victory path has three variants, although the variations are not that significant, and you only ever get one variant per run.

Haba First, glad you know the folklore on scorn poles! Definitely once a player knows victory paths, that affects how he plays the game. For the better, I think. It's worse by far when a time limited game is directionless. Your win rate will be much, much lower if you always try to go the Songbridge path, though. Barbarian Prince (which heavily inspired FG) also has a limited number of victory paths, and I don't think that limited the game. Other things certainly do limit FG, including the simplistic combat (inspired by BP and Lone Wolf), the limited pool of events, etc. But victory conditions are pretty low on that list because there are so many different ways to accomplish them.

Darth Roxor The priest does object in the Till Death event, but that's because the dead aren't respecting the jarl's marriage, not because of the rite per se.

lightbane It's funny, having grown up playing jRPGs, I got used to right-side heroes. But once I started to thinking about it, yeah, it's not just in nu-stuff like Darkest Dungeon where the heroes are on the left, it's HOMM and MOO, which I played a lot as a kid, not to mention every platformer, etc. (The only strong counterexample outside jRPgs that comes immediately to mind is Sid Meier's Pirates! where your captain is on the right.) In retrospect, I wish I'd had the heroes face left (which would have also put the warband next to, and facing the same direction as, their portraits), but it now looks wrong to me when I flip it. Choice and consequences. In answer to your other question, wizards strike in combat because that's what everyone does. Combat is very simple because the starting point was the combat in Barbarian Prince and Lone Wolf. Worked up from there; it was never intended to be the kind of tactical combat real RPGs have (or the skill-spamming stuff that jRPGs feature). Those origins explain some of the things that Malakal noted are lacking (tactical combat, dungeon crawling).

Modron The two kinds of dice were because we're testing whether pips are suitably readable on a d10. I've never seen pips above d6, but I wanted pips because that's how the period-appropriate dice looked. Unfortunately, I find them hard to quickly read on a d10 (especially when there are four dice), so we are going to use numerals (but with much better textured dice than the blue defaults).

Demo.Graph The hut art is now changed, hope you're happy. :( Also, that's a foot. And it's after a touch up to make it less schlong-like. :(

Malakal On the difficulty level, I'd say that even with metaknowledge/recourse to the design documents, I still only have about a 50% win rate, and Songbridge victories are probably fourth out of the five victory paths for me. In terms of difficulty, my goal was not to hold experienced players to a low win rate, but to make sure that as you play, events don't feel trivial -- i.e., the risks/stakes are such that you still need to think about what choices to make, keeping an eye toward the victory conditions. I think we've largely achieved that. If anything, the problem we have with testers is that they find the game too hard, not too easy, but I am comfortable we have the balance right.

We may make a "hard" variant mode, and the levers for doing that would be disabling re-rolls, reducing the number of days (BP gave you 70, not 90), taking away starting follower(s)/item, and reducing or eliminating starting resources (gold/food/souls). I'd view this as an extra-challenge mode, not the way the game is intended to be played. Each of those things that we can take away were things that we added to the game from its original state ~2016, and I believe each one made the core game experience better -- the events are more fun when you have more choices.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haba First, glad you know the folklore on scorn poles! Definitely once a player knows victory paths, that affects how he plays the game. For the better, I think. It's worse by far when a time limited game is directionless. Your win rate will be much, much lower if you always try to go the Songbridge path, though. Barbarian Prince (which heavily inspired FG) also has a limited number of victory paths, and I don't think that limited the game. Other things certainly do limit FG, including the simplistic combat (inspired by BP and Lone Wolf), the limited pool of events, etc. But victory conditions are pretty low on that list because there are so many different ways to accomplish them.
You should make a subtle scene where someone accuses the godling of being "argr", whatever the translated equivalent be. Give the player the choice to walk away or act accordingly. Then if the player manages to return despite choosing... uh, poorly, he should have a new status in the afterlife.

A valuable introduction of the Gray Goose Laws for the modern audience.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There are certainly various insult exchanges in the game, including regarding the god's manliness. I don't believe there are any instances where you can be insulted, leave, and return because very few events persist that way. Walking away from an insult typically bears more immediate consequences like loss of follower morale, getting cursed, or getting shut out of a settlement because the god is too ashamed to show his face again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom