Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets play DIE HARD (NES): Intense 8-bit Bruce Willis action

schluberlubs

Educated
Ch. 3: Get me the detonators!

VDGS7l.jpg

I raid the toilet next to the elevator on the 34th floor for a couple of first-aid kits. They restore four foot points in total.

Next, I take the elevator down to the 32nd floor.

SFBKCl.jpg

Walking northwards, we are confonted by a blue shirt and shortly after, a green shirt.

I try advancing towards them but the blue shirt keeps laying down suppression fire. Plus, there's little room to maneuver here.

Green shirt makes the mistake of taking the offensive. Between the west wall and the columns, he becomes a sitting duck. I kill him with ease.

The blue shirt proving to be far too much of a prickly pear from the south, and he doesn't look like he's budging. I circle around to attack him from the north.

m1W8Sl.jpg

Seems like he managed to get stuck in the wall. whot.

While there isn't much cover from the north, there far more room too dodge. I land a hit on him then duck behind wall for a breather, only to recieve a call on the radio:

CokOHl.jpg

Our bromantic relationship with Al Powell begins.

I go on to take down the crook, suffering a point of damage.

Next, I take the stairs a floor down to the 31st. IIRC, it would be harder to fight from the elevator on this floor.

vgCHHl.jpg

The 31st floor has a west facing horse-shoe shaped corridor with numerous offices & ambiguous rooms.

I shoot the locks to the 2 rooms next to the elevator, in case we need some quick cover. Then begin cautiously tip-toeing it est along the corridor.

7hYbml.jpg

Contact! Hit the blue shirt with a snapshot then fall back. Things are quite for 2 ticks.

u4dPSl.jpg

Blue shirt pops out of a room to the north. That room has 2 doors. The crooks can go in one and out the other.

3tlUNl.jpg

Now a green shirt pops in. We're dealing with at least 3 guys here.

A barrage of suppression fire keeps us pinned inside the stairway.

I eventually manage to kill the 2 blue shirts but I'm now down to 2 health points.

Green shirt was still cowering in that room too the northwest. I try assaulting it but he shoots us instead.

Then when I step back for a breather, he kicks the door open to deliver the other shot.

Oops.

YAOwC.png
:smug:

Reload.

Ok, take 2.

This time around, I stick to the room that's next to the stairway as opposed to the stair way. Being closer to our enemies, there's a semi-decent chance of actually hitting the them.

OVqyvl.jpg

The battle goes well. I manage to take down a blue and green shirt. Because we still had the office to dive into for cover, I manage getting by taking 1 point of damage. Seems the crooks won't enter this room. Now we've just got blondie to go.

gxPxO.png
We just spotted someone on the 33rd floor, north side.

As soon as I kill the blondie:

v3rUsl.jpg

This happens if you phone the cops and fail to get to the 4th floor before Theo cracks the 2nd. But I don't think it actually matters whether or not this happens. Pretty much Deus Ex style fluff.

One thing to note, the game avoids giving you messages during combat and waits 'til its ended. Thoughtful.

QCUVjl.jpg

Blondie seems to have dropped a lovely little present for us.

aSibM.png
Lookie what we have here. What is Hans doing with detonators?

Oh baby! We can now use C4. C4 can be used to blow up doors, including bullet proof ones. Also, having the detonators out of the crooks hands will have an effect on things later on. Which unfortunately means foregoing one of the more kick ass parts of this game.

Another thing to note, the C4 is pretty much always guarded by 2 blue shirts who are deployed to this floor (the 31st).

I grab a first aid kit from one of the offices then move my way to the south.

bgWD7l.jpg

Christmas tree!

WApRbl.jpg

Crook bursts out of the room next to the elevator. We exchange fire before he cowers back inside. I try waiting for him to come out for a bit.

How ever, I hear the elevator moving and get into position for an ambush. We're out of stun grenades though.

T4c6Yl.jpg

Pinning him down, he takes 2 hits before I back off and kill him further along the corridor.

Hmm, still got that guy in that room to kill

gxPxO.png
We just spotted someone on the 33rd floor, south side.

I decide to just leave this 'til later and hop in the elevator.

oGivUl.jpg

He's having none of it. He charges out and attacks us with our pants down.

I was worried we'd take a hit, but the elevator close just in time to stop his bullets. I hit the button for the 32nd floor.

Upon arrival, I pick up a couple of sodas to the south east. Then head to the middle east.

8ZZsol.jpg

The door to this stair way is bullet proofed and locked. TIME FOR THE BOOM BOOM!

UwfSyl.jpg

EXTREME!

Always be sure to stand back when C4 goes off, it's one of the 2 thing in this game that can cause instant death.

What awaits up the stairs? Find out next time.

For now, our status:

6OGACl.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sergeant Powell looks like the Joker.

What would have happened if the crooks held on to the C4 ?

Also, MOAR John McClane !

schluberlubs

Educated
Ch. 4: Multi-barreled guns shooting ass and legs.

NAA6e.png

The 33rd floor. This floor is hellish to fight on.

The regular stairway & elevator to the west are total kill zones for Jon. For one thing, there's little cover. And it's also full of stuff which shatters and covers the floor in debris. His feet would be cut to shreds in no time.

So fighting from this stair way is a little easier as he'll have some walls for cover and no debris.

3tLnK.png

Still, things aren't going to exactly going to be easy this side either. He's fighting the crooks on even footing here. Play it smart and be quick on the draw, he'll have no problem.

N3qTi.png

Goof up like this and they'll get the advantage. Jon manages to kill the crook while backed in here, but takes 3 wounds. The crook also needed 3 shots to die, looks like things are heating up.

Jon search through a corridor and room on the left, finding a 9mm magazine and a soda then-

GNrZ5.png

Whoah! Looks like one of the crooks buddies is coming for revenge.

Killed without taking a hit.

wApG6.png

Nice, half the C's are down for the count. I make a save-state, but I probably just being excessively cautious.

Right?

What ever, Jon advances left towards the dreaded kill-zone.

yp5B0.png

aSibM.png
Looks like the coasts clear.

Famous last words.

YzHBc.png

Jon hardly takes so much as a step before the crooks come bearing down upon him. Seeing that its hopeless fight them here, he retreats.

3trCJ.png

Holy shit! Jon finds the door is locked from this side. He desperately tries to shoot the lock, but the terrorists have other plans for him.

These plans involve re-enacting a certain scene from Robo-Cop.

*Sighs*

Ok, take 2.

This time, Mclane tries taking a more central assault on the kill-zone.

NRCe3.png

He finds it tough though, green shirts use suppression fire on him from the west and south. At least the computer block provides good cover.

Jon ducks in through one of the central doors and starts sweeping through the rooms.

l4lPd.png

While shooting through one of the door locks, he uncovers a green shirt wanking around inside.

Jon charges in, the crook hops out and in before getting deaded. Jon gets wounded twice.

Mclane decides to move down to the south corridor. Perhaps assaulting the kill-zone will be easier from there.

iBFQZ.png

Looks like the crooks anticipated his move. Jon gets stunned and shot before diving behind the door.

BrNb7.png

Jon thought he could sit for a short breather, only to have the crook kick the door open and double-tap him before he could so much as blink.

God damn it!

Take 3.

OVQHV.png

This starts of really good. Jon, sticking to the upper left area of the kill-zone and ducking behind cover a the vaguest hint of gunshot, actually manages to eliminate 3 greens and a blue with out taking a scratch. 3rd time lucky, eh?

Feeling pretty chipper with himself, Jon heads towards the control room.

QilOD.png

Unfortunately, his cockiness gets the better of him. A blue shirt wounds Jon down to his last point of health before he could retreat.

QhKXn.png

I was pretty livid at this point and made Jon blindly sweep through the door to no avail

zaawS.png

Things only ended in tears

Will I chill out and find a way of beating the crooks on this floor? Will I even get around to writing an update? Find out next time!

...No, wait! Wait! The future chapters won't be so full of fuck ups. I promise.

---

God damn, this LP has gone on for over a year, wonder if there's any one still interested. If next to no-one comments or bro-fists, I'll probably move on to something new.

I've been feeling a bit more content since I finally got a steady job. Also made a new years resolution to make and upload more stuff to the internet.

schluberlubs

Educated
Ch. 5: The Lithuanian Hitman

r9GIE.jpg

Jon considers making another attack on the central kill zone, but realises this is a crap idea. He'ed get stuck going around in circles at this rate.

No, a... subtle change of tactics is in-order here.

JWtev.jpg

Namely blowing this accursed door to match-wood with his C4. It has been a thorn in his side long enough.

WI78g.jpg

Jon teases a blue shirt towards the door, before finishing it off by firing into the dark.

As you can see, the state of the door has no bearing on our line of site. Combined with that the A.I. can't see and shoot at us lest we see them, this gives us a very nice tactical advantage.

Jon proceeds to kill 2 green shirts normally, then draws another blue shirt over to the door frame to repeat our above trick.

Now with those guys out of the way, the control room beckons!

F68DY.jpg

It's door is bullet proof, so nothing less than C4 shall suffice.

SfEgL.jpg

Here we are, the express elevator and its control panel. But before operating it, Jon notices his feet a practically dropping off and grabs 3 first-aid kits from the toilet next door.

aSibM.png
Express elevator access granted

Excellent! Lets see where this bad-boy can go.

gPtYM.jpg

Along with some of the floors the regular elevator already gets to, this one can go to the 4th. This happens to be below the floor with the computer as Jon had mentioned earlier.

gL1xc.jpg

Upon arrival, Jon finds a couple of green shirts smoking cigarettes around a cache of explosives.

aOlTg.png
Those are very bad for you!

gxPxO.png
We just spotted some one on the 32nd floor, north side.

Its a bit hard fighting here, but Jon slaughters the green shirts with the help of a stun-bomb.

aOlTg.png
It was either going to be me, accidental explosion or cancer. I just came first.

After there death, he receives the following broadcast:

YAOwC.png
We demand helicopter transports for the hostages on the roof!

trZMb.jpg

OH BABY! Christmas has come early!

Jon grabs the rock launcher and inserts the rocket he found earlier. Then he wheels the RL around until it points in the direction of the computer, as indicated on the blueprints he got along with the rocket.

A man could argue the merits of firing explosive artillery in an enclosed space while surrounded by possible explosives.

Jon isn't that man.

C1MOb.jpg

As a wise black Scottish cyclops once said: "KABOOOOOM"

PrbXI.png
Yeow, what was that?! Hans, the main computer is down! It's gonna take longer to break this lock!

Well, it boosted the time for the current lock by a couple of mins.

Y0XfZ.jpg

Plus, we get some goodies from the explosion. We don't need those to FA kits though, I should have saved the ones in the toilet.

Not much else here, Jon heads back up the elevator.

FUN FACT: If you are in this room when the 2nd lock cracks, you can get stuck here until the 3rd one has been cracked.

Now that he's done all of the current side objectives, there's little else to do except mop up the last of the crooks. With exactly 13 left, could Jon have any less luck now than he already has?

The 35th floor seems a good a start as any.

xSV8J.jpg

A couple of green shirts lie in wait. Jon goes through them like like a hot knife through butter and takes the stairs down to floor 34.

cBwaD.jpg

Another couple of green shirts, another couple of frags. The crooks just ain't putting their hearts into this no-more. It's like they've just given up.

YAOwC.png
Karl, find him! Get back the detonators!

I may have spoke too soon. Lets camp by the elevator and await this Karl's arrival.

vFR0u.jpg

YTjvp.jpg

Sweet mother of god, he's a Lithuanian hitman! Highly trained in the art of Sodo-kata, ones body can never be ready for one of these guys.

He starts off just standing in front of the elevator so Jon tries to cheese it by firing shots round the corner into the dark.

He fails and gets spotted.

bmqBo.jpg

Like an enraged beast, Karl charges foreword with his machine gun ablaze. Jon is forced to make a hasty retreat.

An intense open-air machine gun duel commences. But Jon evades blanket after blanket of bullets, chipping away at Karl.

After the 6th bullet wound, Karl suffers critical existence failure. Jon remains unscathed. Can you say "Anticlimax"?

YAOwC.png
When you put your vision in the hands of other lesser humans, that vision is diluted! :rpgcodex:

With the meat & bone of his forces in tatters, what will Hans do to recover from this situation? Find out next chapter!

schluberlubs

Educated
Ch. 6: Best christmas bonus I ever got!

Jon's got 8 crooks and a few minutes left. Both in need of killing.

zp3AX.jpg

Starts off by searching north-east of the the 34th floor and finds a single soda.

The elevator makes its tell-tale sounds, he heads towards it to prepare an ambush.

4a5P0.jpg

And carries it off without an issue.

KimQQ.jpg

Just a little site seeing. This is the zig-zaggy table from the movie which Jon shoots a man in the dick through:

QtD0E.jpg

In the south-east part of the floor, Jon finds a room with a bullet-proof door which he (naturally) blows up with C4. A few goodies where found inside.

He ponders camping the elevator. But considering how few crooks are left, it's doubtable whether any more would be deployed here.

gxPxO.png
"We just spotted someone on 32nd floor, north side."

aSibM.png
"Well, the 32nd floor sounds as good a place to go as any."

After entering the 32nd floor, he hears the 6th lock cracked.

PrbXI.png
"Lock 6 is now open. Hans, only the vault is left!"

4 minutes left

Well Jon was supposed to sweep the 32nd floor for bad guys, but became distracted and took the central stairway back up to the 34th floor.

3mNIy.jpg

He finds a room with a couple of goodies. Seems this place can only be accessed via the central stair way.

Back to the 32nd floor, then.

EIAAA.jpg

He finds a wimpy green shirt making itself an easy target by the columns in the west.

Then he hides behind a wall near the elevator for, you guessed it, an ambush.

But nothing comes and his patience wears too thin. He goes and charges around on the stairway to speed up time.

PrbXI.png
"Hans, the FBI shut down the power and the vault is open! We're in!"

YAOwC.png
"Without the detonators, our plans are destroyed! We must escape, quickly!"

PrbXI.png
2KaKIRI.gif

An 8-bit rendition of the "Ode to Joy" is playing. This is it! Things are reaching an ultimatum. Jon must head to the 30th floor for the final battle to save his wife.

CnUEL.jpg

He goes for the express elevator.

qfEwO.jpg

Arriving on the floor, things seem quiet. Too quit.

This floor comprises of a corridor & rooms to the north. To the south, a large open area with a pond in the middle.

Jon diddles around the corridors before...

4S23i.jpg

...incoming gang-bang! 2 crooks come from the same elevator he did and another from the corridor. Jon is sandwiched in with no where to run.

He's starts by going full Rambo on the 2 crooks in front of him, leaving them more holy than the pope. Then he turns around and dispatch the third one.

Only took 2 hits. Not bad.

These corridors and rooms are clear, time to head south.

9KaKJ.jpg

He finds 2 crooks.

First one isn't too hard to kill as Jon was able to use the corridor entrance for cover.

The second was even easier. As illustrated in the above picture, it was stuck in place. Guess it wasn't much of a swimmer.

j4jk6.jpg

Just the one crook left. And a door to the north-eastern room has open.

PaU6W.jpg

Time to settle this once and for all!

CQn4f.jpg

6pAUK.jpg

evDfU.jpg

The ultra-final gun battle with Hans Gruber himself. Jon is stripped of everything except his pistol & the bullets inside it.

This battle will be tough, it's in an enclosed space with no cover. Plus, Jon has just 15 bullets while Hans is using an infinite ammo cheat.

Jon tries to go for an aggressive, in-you-face tactic but that didn't turn out so good. A.I. Hans easily out DPS's player-controlled Jon in close quarters.

Take 2.

Jon plays it a bit more careful this time but-

BBH20.jpg

A double death? So-

tLsaA.jpg

7AuP3.jpg

I've never had this happen before, it was a damn fine coincidence it did so during my LP.

So the developers went out of their way to put a logical game over screen for something extremely unlikely to happen. Seriously, this is why I love this game. So much stuff to discover.

Ok, moving on.

Take 3

Enough poncing around. Jon tries to focus on dodging Hans bullets first and take aimed shots where he can second.

z7CrO.jpg

8 planted shots later, Hans and his twisted schemes are nothing more than a bad memory.

Jon walks over to his wife, Holly. Time to blow this joint like a Rastafarian hooker!

6lReX.jpg

k4uNL.jpg

The Lithuanian Hitman has re-spawned!

pZccw.jpg

BOOM!

HEADSHOT!

Al has about had it with these noob haxxor crooks and their bullshit.

Butthurt, the Lithuanian hitman rage-quits from life.

(you can see the original scene here)

CT0Ka.jpg

Jon ditches Holly to pursue a truly bromantic relationship with Al.

Thats it, folks. Hope you enjoyed!

---

I have to admit, I did pretty bad on this run. It took me 7 reloads total. I'm usually atleast able to get to the battle with Hans without reloading.

Also, I found out that the actor for Karl/Lithuanian Hitman was a dancer. So it's suprising how he manages to come off as such a stone-cold bad-ass in the movie.

On a side note, one thing that pissed me off some years back was when someone posted the ending to this game on Youtube and a bunch of morons where like "DURR LUKK UT DURR BURD GRUMMUR DURR". Despite the fact that the "pardner" is legitimate slang and the rest of the games grammar, as you can see, is fine.

Anyway, I'm holding a vote for what I should do next:

A) Do bonus content for this Die Hard NES LP. I'll show some of the other stuff I didn't do like:

-Various game over screens

-The vents

-Axes

-The helicopter on the roof sequence.

-And might show some differences in the Japanese version.

B) LP Law of the West. A game of Choice and Consequence + gun slinging that was made for the C64. Even features romances, which I know the Codex won't admit its love for.

C) LP Metal Max. A JRPG with a post apocalyptic tank theme, has minimal cutscenes and emphasis on the actual gameplay? On my SNES? It could be be more likely than you think!

D) LP Mother 1/ Earthbound 0 for the NES. The prequel to Earthbound. I can't help but like this series with its strange humour and quirky setting.

E) LP a mystery game. Something incline? Something decline? Just plain stupid? You'll have to vote to find out!

And before I leave, another side note: I checked out pheal.net for rule 34 of Die Hard and only found some pics based on Die Hard 4.0.

Hentai artists, I am dissapoint.

lightbane

Arcane
Whoa, you did it! Congrats for completing the lp!! :love:

I vote for A and B.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom