Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Daggerfall!

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
If you get bad performance on DosBox, try this in your dosbox.conf file:
Code:
[render]
# frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.
# aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
#           Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,
#                         2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,
#                         tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.

frameskip=2
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.
#         auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
#           Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
#           You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.
#           The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.
# cycleup   -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown    Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=100

It works fine for me like this.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Raapys said:
The problem is most likely that your z.cfg file didn't reflect the mounted drive's game location, so the game couldn't find the game files.

Install Daggerfall to C:\dagger
"Mount c c:" in dosbox, don't mount directly to the game folder. You'll get a warning message, but just ignore it.
"cd dagger"
"fall z.cfg"

Make sure the following lines in your z.cfg file equals these:

path c:\dagger\arena2\
pathcd c:\dagger\arena2\

That makes so much sense to me that I'm going to try re-installing right now.

---

later...

Works like an almost dream now! Thanks for the tip, but I need one more. I can't get the mouse to work right. I get a black mouse with a white outline that doesn't let me click on the new game/load game option. The game cursor is in the upper left corner sitting pretty.

Hazelnut

Erudite
MessiahMan said:
Works like an almost dream now! Thanks for the tip, but I need one more. I can't get the mouse to work right. I get a black mouse with a white outline that doesn't let me click on the new game/load game option. The game cursor is in the upper left corner sitting pretty.

Try Alt-F10 to lock the mouse pointer. I've found using the auto-lock breaks the game so I always have to Alt-F10 to lock. I do find that the game pointer does follow the white outline pointer and can be used though, so it's possible you have a deeper problem. (note: I have to use the Alt Gr button on the right of the space bar - the other doesn't work for me, possibly because I mapped it to jump in DF itself)

I've been finding the dungeons really creepy when playing late at night in the dark with headphones on... it's all about the sounds. :)

cutterjohn

Cipher
OccupatedVoid said:
If you get bad performance on DosBox, try this in your dosbox.conf file:
Code:
[cpu]
# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.
#         auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.
# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.
#           Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
#           You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.
#           The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.
# cycleup   -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown    Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=100

It works fine for me like this.
I've read elsewhere that dynamic is recomended for cpu as it offers the best overall performance, although it's a bit hard to tell in my case as either normal or dynamic really showed no difference.

They also suggested playing with your cycles setting, as in setting it fairly high and then reducing it until the speed was right or your sound played reasonably with good enough performance.

There was also a buffer change recomended earlier in the thread that you may want to try simultaneously as I had poor sound playback until I adjusted the buffer size.

Then again, if you want to skip the hassle try Virtual PC or VMWare running a copy of windows 98 or FreeDOS...

Raapys

Arcane
Also, for everyone new to DF, be sure to switch to 'Mouse View' mode. Go to Options->Controls->Mouse.

This makes it play like Morrowind/Oblivion, instead of the tedious default play style.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He started one on System Shock and Wizardry 8, but as always, didn't finish them. That's Surgey for you, starting things, but never finishing them, ever.

If you liked this, though, you really should google "Something Awful Let's Play" and you shall stumble upon a subforum that'll entertain you for decades.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
He left us because people wouldn't explain the Paranoia RPG rules to him.

[Rule #1 - The GM is always right]
[Rule #2 - Knowing the rules is treason]

Mr Happy

Scholar
Raapys said:
Also, for everyone new to DF, be sure to switch to 'Mouse View' mode. Go to Options->Controls->Mouse.

This makes it play like Morrowind/Oblivion, instead of the tedious default play style.

That can make the mouse swing combat a bit awkward though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom