Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead without firing a shot!

potatojohn

Arcane
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a let's play of ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead.

For those of you not familiar with this game, it's a heavily scripted, and very buggy military popamole.

To prove just how popamole it is, I'm going to play the entire game without firing a single shot, or acting tactically in any way (any deviations will be noted and celebrated).

Menu: No, I haven't turned off the menu background scene, the game just loaded a scene of complete darkness. Lovely.
wmhfV.jpg

We're beginning with mission 02. Why? Mission 00 and 01 are unskippable cutscenes. They're absolutely terrible, even more terrible than the game is usually, and won't be shown here.
Q4EoO.jpg

We're going into hajiland.
X3byC.jpg

The first objective is to capture the airport. Whatever. Unlike in OFP, ArmA 1, in ArmA 2 there's no need to ever look at the map or read the briefings because the campaign is so popamole.
XmtUZ.jpg

We're in a helicopter. The campaign opens up with what is possible the most horrible voice acting imaginable. I'd record it and put it up on youtube but I'm too lazies.
bez45.jpg

LOTS OF BUTTONS. None of them do anything, because ArmA 2 is a serious simulator.
xdGgl.jpg

Funny fact: if you eject a bit over ground, and then go under the helicopter, it will
TRqYI.jpg

it will fly off with the rest of your team, never to return.
Lyuhi.jpg

Lets try this again.
E60zG.jpg

We are immediately "under attack". I just wait...
5djFz.jpg

Do some scouting...
ViIHB.jpg

It's a good thing there are these chest-high walls everywhere or I could find myself in some danger!
JE6At.jpg

First objective completed. Now they want my team to clear out some villages.
zcPwG.jpg

Team leader wants me to find a vehicle. Can't get in the plane ufortunately.
kSUEu.jpg

Can't get in the tanker either.
4xgs3.jpg

I find a usable UAZ. Unfortunately this breaks the AI somehow. Half my team remains at the airport while only brave leader and the medic move forward.
CqjHe.jpg

The situation is dire. I decide to do a couple of laps on the runway.
97Q8e.jpg

Hello TANK. I am UAZ. It's a good thing the AI is telepathic and knows I'm friendly or it might mistake me for an enemy!
9xIc2.jpg

Back with the other half of my team, the two seem to be doing alright on their own.
UOm5k.jpg

Finally the rest of the team unbugs and gets back in formation. Only to be slaughtered.

OH NO, 3 IS DOWN
FUCK, THEY GOT 5!
I'll just stand here next to where they got mowed down a second ago...
CTYDp.jpg

I alleviate my boredom somewhat by looting any weapons I find.
FCOvF.jpg

Blending in
j95iv.jpg

First village is clear! On to the next one!
3G8Ix.jpg

Dear leader fearlessly runs ahead and I follow, but I'm worried because the rest of the team is now almost half a click behind and not moving.
OlZwF.jpg

Objective on the right, leader is going left, rest of team idling a click behind us. The typical ArmA AI experience.
Zcu3F.jpg

Finally the fuckers start moving. I fast-forward until they catch up.
2MvCp.jpg

We run onto the next popamole marker.
Bipuk.jpg

Mission complete! The village freed itself by the very act of us arriving there!
RFK07.jpg

We suffered some pointless casualties, but at least my conscience is clear. I fired zero bullets in this mission and performed zero tactical (popamole) manouvers. Mostly I just bent down and looked sideways to make that hilarious stance.
VuAgs.jpg

Next up: we command some armor.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
The Skyway has been summoned.
Sgt. Cheshire: baronjohn is funny
Sgt. Cheshire: so much hate for ArmA2 and yet he spent last 2 weeks
Sgt. Cheshire: playing it
JackOfTrips: sounds like something you would do

potatojohn

Arcane
Lets play mission 2! This mission is pure popamole, as you shall see.
lxJZl.jpg

We're supposed to go two different directions to reach our goal. You might be thinking there are choices and consequences here, but there aren't actually. You have to go both ways.
M2CZ8.jpg

fi.
‘‘
FB v , ist
oq9h1.jpg

Whatever, man. This is a game not a hollywood movie, just let me shoot some dudes.
amqm8.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MY NECK?!
LrC4b.jpg

This is my tank, the M1A2 TUSK main battle tank. Our opposition will be a bunch of WW2-era tanks (T-34s). BIS sure likes to keep it interesting yawn.
avhxA.jpg

Oh, did I mention we also have 3 IVFs with anti-tank missile launchers?
nNuhw.jpg

We'll be driving.
eK2jB.jpg

We lay waste to some hajis.
xxzjA.jpg

Kill an APC or five.
AzjQJ.jpg

Prepare for a majestic cinematic sequence.
tuV1t.jpg

The game ejects you out of the tank.
LaeIk.jpg

You can't get back in until the majestic sequence finishes playing. Man, ArmA sure is so un-scripted! Literally anything could happen!
NYk7C.jpg

Holy shit!!! Can't make the player care about what's going on? Don't worry, just have the in-game characters emote!
53och.jpg

OK, time to rescue some dudes I don't know. But my crew isn't following.
WEdTx.jpg

What the fuck are they doing?
uwPBt.jpg

Oh. Fuck. Funny fact, if you go to far from your crew the mission fails. We have to right this somehow.
9E7Ee.jpg

I load the popamole checkpoint autosave and it turns out it was just after the majestic sequence stopped.
Z7pLy.jpg

Wouldn't be ArmA if the AI could drive.
6cSoC.jpg

Wouldn't be ArmA if the tank turret ever pointed in the right direction
EQaXS.jpg

Some fools surrender to our mighty cocks before I even spot them.
Zr5T6.jpg

I didn't order this smoke but I got it anyway. Then a majestically unscripted helicopter attacks and is downed before I even spot it.
P2Xmn.jpg

RIGHT. HALT. RIGHT. HALT. RIGHT. HALT. LEFT. HALT. RIGHT. HALT. RIGHT. HALT. LEFT. HALT.
C1gO9.jpg

T-55's! Holy shit, this is like, post WW2 isn't it? I don't think BIS's target audience can handle that much heat.
cHKBe.jpg

We pop some more moles.
Eg0pW.jpg

After popping all the moles, we accomplish our objective. But wait, wasn't something supposed to happen?
eJhvs.jpg

Fuck, looks like a popamole marker didn't register when I ran over it. Now I have to drive this shitty tank uphill. Fuck this game.
x8oLg.jpg

... 30 minutes later ...
4D1nw.jpg

It says you can wait or go, but that's not true. You're glued to the spot and the trucks arrive.
H7qxR.jpg

Please mister, help!
oJLx8.jpg

Dumbfuck gunner destroys the electrical pole with the turret. Now they won't have electricity for 6 months. We're sure winning hearts and minds here.
K5jP6.jpg

... 30 minutes later ...
MAle7.jpg

Their moles are all popped easily because the anti-tank guns were pointing in the wrong direction and of course they didn't hear the fierce battle 500m away or our fucking slow asses rolling up the hill behind them.
x08tz.jpg

OK, disgusting subhumans ventilated and exploded, time to move forward.
zFp6v.jpg

Wouldn't be ArmA if the turret was pointing in the right direction.
Xm50p.jpg

Popping some more WW2 tanks.
4GYzy.jpg

Well here we are. The majestic rescue squad.
XAm51.jpg

Wait, fuck, this isn't how it's supposed to go. Reload.
Vidbg.jpg

I rush down into the valley and pop moles before these guys get killed.
UCSLc.jpg

Saying that you trust them ends the mission.
eyHV6.jpg

Achievement unlocked: A+++++++ MOLE POPPER. I didn't actually fire any shots, I just told the tank what to target.
de1Ha.jpg

Notes: the loader died. Because he can't turn in and the suidical AI just fires at the tank until it hits him. Fuck!

Man, fuck this mission.

In OFP, YOU'D BE DOING THIS MISSION ON FOOT. AND YOU'D HAVE TO LOOT RPGs FROM ENEMY CORPSES TO KILL THE TANKS. In ArmA they just give you this ridiculous firepower and armor that the enemy can't even begin to touch (except the loader). Fuck this game. Fuck BIS. Fuck everyone who thinks this game is good.

utarefson

Novice
I only played OFP, which was freakin' awesome, but this game here looks more like a bastard cross between call of duty and a really bad fanmod of ofp :(
Continue the good work sir!

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Holy shit. Great vid, loved it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom