Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Head to the Wasteland Blind!

Humppaleka

Cipher
So, as Wasteland 2 has become true, I thought I'll give this a shot. Never played Wasteland, but now is a good time. I can feel it. I don't promise I'll have regular updates as I get to play rather sporadically. And this will be my first LP, don't be too harsh. Or actually, by all means throw enough shit at me if I don't do anything right.

The rules are pretty obvious, you get to make your own characters! Only 4 slots though, so make them count. I'm currently reading the manual, let's see if I can get to playing on the weekend, char creation should be reality tomorrow. Deadline for characters ~12 hours, if there aren't enough champs I'll make KingComrades for the empty spots, and maybe throw in a character of my own. As I'm not familiar with the char creation yet I can't give you much advice, but I will try to make the chars as close as possible to your directions to the best of my talent.
Every last piece of advice you can give me is welcome! Especially concerning the LP:ing itself, I will obviously suck at the game but oh well.

Without further ado, let the creation begin, and I hope I will actually be able to make this happen...

Part 1: The Introduction

Wake up Codex, to the fresh stench of rot, radiation and napalm. Welcome to a new world, which has been devastated by nuclear weaponry. You are sent on a mission to investigate nearby disturbances, which threaten your beautiful Codexia Ranger Center, the last bastion of monocle humanity in this corner of the world.

6VRYP.png

Gmmsg.png

BMhZus.jpg
Allright you maggots, get your gear up and your shit together, you are leaving at 0800 hours!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Been a while since I last played it (actually over a decade :D), most important tip in the beginning is probably that you want to shoot for a high IQ attribute on each ranger since they determine the available skill points as far as I remember.

Anyways, mexican Ranger Angelo85 reporting for Duty :salute:

As you probably can gather from my training records Sir, I received basic medical training and earned a sharpshooter medal with Assault Rifles. My previous instructor said he had never seen someone as good as me while disarming bombs! And my teammates said more than once that they are jealous of my good perception.

But as my commanding officer you probably are more skilled in determining where my talents are best used, Sir! (meaning you may distribute points as you see fit ;))

Humppaleka

Cipher
Don't worry jimbob, you have no fear. You are the king of LP's, this is just an experiment mostly. I won't propably even read your LP to avoid spoilers, though I will if I get stuck.
Some clarification on char creation which might help:

• Nationalities: USA, Russian, Mexican, Indian or Chinese
  • Attributes: Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Intelligence, Luck, Speed and Charisma
  • Male or Female (affects which bathrooms you can access :smug:)
  • Skill list:
    IQ 3
    Brawling (1): Any fighter who can wander through a full-fledged bar fight without getting much more
    than a scratch is either very lucky or highly skilled in brawling. The higher your skill in brawling, the
    more attacks you get per round in hand-to-hand combat.

Climb (1): Gives you the ability to climb over fences, up sheer cliff faces, and out of pits.

Clip Pistol (1): A must-have skill since your initial weapon issue will be either the M1911A1 .45 caliber
    or a VP91Z 9 mm automatic clip pistol. Without this skill, you won’t be very accurate with the weapon or
    have much luck fixing it if it breaks.

Knife Fighting (1): When fighting with knives, this give an advantage to a skilled fighter over an
    unskilled one.

Pugilism (1): One of the oldest forms of fighting, it teaches you how to dish out punches as well as avoid
    them. Handy for those close-up battles where the fists start flying.

Rifle (1): A good basic skill to have since many of the weapons sold by raiders are serviceable M19 rifles.
    You’ll rue the day you didn’t pick up this skill as you look helplessly at the rifle you can’t shoot
    accurately.

Swim (1): The desert sands don’t blanket the entire earth. This will come in hand in those spots where
    you have to swim.

IQ 6
    Knife Throwing (1): A tricky skill that comes in handy when fighting gets heavy. You use up all your
    ammo and resort to throwing knives.

Perception (1): Helps the character find concealed items and notice when things are out of the ordinary.
    No one should be without it.

IQ 9
    Assault Rifle (1): If you’re using an AK-97 or M1089A1 assault rifle, this skill helps you fire, load, and
    unjam it quickly. A skill that ranks up there in importance with walking and breathing.

AT Weapon (1): Helps you recognize and use anti-tank weapons like LAW rockets. A handy skill to
    have should you encounter something far tougher than your Ranger instructors ever told you about.

SMG (1): Lets a character control basic submachine guns like the Uzi or Mac 17. May make a big
    difference when you’re outnumbered three to one by bandits who’ve decided that they want the gold from
    your teeth.

IQ 10
    Acrobat (1): This skill for the agile can get you out of a tough situation -- like leaping off of bar counters
    while you’re surrounded by a hostile crowd.

Gamble (1): The skill that built Vegas, you’ll do well in all games of chance, and you’ll; also be able to
    spot a crooked game from a mile away.

Picklock (1): This can get you into places where you want to go, but where other don’t want you to go.,

Silent Movement (1): This helps you move unnoticed past a guard post; making it tough for enemies to
    catch up with you.

IQ 11
    Confidence (1): For an already charismatic person, good confidence can enable one to talk to a miser out
    of his fortune. It’s particularly useful for getting information from people who are suspicious of you.

IQ 12
    Sleight of Hand (1): A thieving skill that lets you perform sleight-of-hand tricks -- perfect when you need
    to amaze those you meet.

IQ 13
    Demolition (1): Teaches you how much of an explosive substance you can use without blowing yourself
    up.

Forgery (1): Helps you recognize or create a forged document. Someday you my just need to whip up a
    security pass to get by some vigilant guards.

IQ 14
    Alarm Disarm (1): Trains you to recognize and disable alarms. If you want to get into a place without
    getting caught, this a good skill to have.

Bureaucracy (1): Even though most of civilization ended with the bomb, an inordinate number of petty
    bureaucrats managed to survive. This helps you deal with them so you can get when you want.

IQ 15
    Bomb Disarm (2): Allows you to defuse most explosive devices.

Medic (2): A vital skill that lets a character stabilize a badly-wounded comrade so he or she has a chance
    to recover.

Safecrack (2): An experience practitioner of this art can open safes sealed even before the holocaust.

IQ 16
    Cryptology (2): Gives you the talent to encode and decode messages. Useful in helping you determine
    what a password might be.

IQ 17
    Metallurgy (2): Increases your ability to spot, identify, and work with some basic metals.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Part 2.1: Highpool

KxeF3.png

MyrkE.png

uZBNe.png

zXlzK.png

Here we are, the glorious Codex squad. Roles are broken into following:
  • Vassili: the silent rifleman
  • Luglug: the strongman/AT-guy
  • Leka: grorious leader of the codexu squad, can handle SMG's too
  • Angelo85: surgeon of both men and demolitions
All have at least 1 point in assault rifles, swim and climb. I don't know if swim and climb are worth it but they felt pretty important. Vassili and Angelo also have 2 points in perception to nail those headshots. No one has clip pistol because they are for pussies, even though the manual suggested it. Vassili also has a point in Medic. My priority now is to propably get both Medics to level 2.

0nQWJ.png

Here we are, at the start of a bright new day (even if it isn't 0800, goddamn you are late), at the enclosed valley which houses the Ranger Center. With mountains all around, the place is easy to defend from whoever trespasses. Our first stop to inquire about the recent disruptions in the otherwise quite quiet desert is the town of Highpool in the NW.

nvgeF.png

JjNKD.png

IDAAE.png

We make our way through the houses looking for someone to enlighten us. The top four buildings are teen dorms and don't house anything interesting, but the first big building which can be barely seen looks inviting.

gmjxY.png

Gaming hall you say? Interesting. Before we get to the clerk at the counter we notice a piece of paper.
A note tacked on the wall says:
-cave
-adults: raid outlaws
-Jackie
-Bobby's dog?
-fix water purifier

fcz4z.png

Finally we can get rid of all the superfluous shit I salvaged from the premade party found in the wasteland! Made a bit of money there, but couldn't buy anything interesting so we went to check the room to the south.

Jhqws.png

Vassili carefully and quietly picks the lock so no one notices...

IO5Ko.png

Nah, whatever.

MD36w.png

You see several handwritten notes on the desk. One note is cash accounts with the Rail Nomads. Another outlines sneak-attack plans against desert marauders. This last note seems odd since it clearly assumes only two attackers against many. One note is a reminder to put a trapdoor over the cave across the creek. Another is about hydrophobia.

LtTs1.png

Okay let's get out, I don't know if those were of that much interest, we shall see.

CAIRh.png

The southern two buildings are the only noteworthy, the infirmary and some kind of an old workshop. We'll check the workshop first.

nyVff.png

This looks like a workshop. Old machinery is nearby, and there's a cot in the back.
We check the rubble piles clockwise.
Old machine parts lie on the floor, surrounded by a scatter of tools.
This big contraption is a patchwork machine. You recognize a pump. Lime-crusted pipes go under the floor.
Old machine parts lie on the floor...
Bah, nothing, let's check the bed.

QB87a.png

Aww yeah, now we're talking! Leka grabs the shiniez. Now to the infirmary.

R4BMg.png

Err, hi there, I guess I'll just leave...
I though I saw someone hiding in the bushes, let's go check him out.

9uUVm.png

Hmm, what shall I ask. The list at the store might be a good place to start.
DOG "Don't kill my dog Rex, okay? Please?!" Hmm.
CAVE "The cave is between the pool and the west cliff wall, kinda between those two trees." Okay...
"Don't kill my dog Rex, okay? Please?!" The Young boy sobs out "Rex!", then runs away.
Well I guess I'll go after him. In the next part.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Two things:

1) Your best bet is to sell all your canteens and other usless junk first to get some starting cash and prevent yourself from being weighed down.
2) Can you make the screen shots a little smaller. I can still read some of the text.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Yeah I should use some other way to take the screenshots than dosbox default, but as I suck at this print screen and crop -way seems pretty time-consuming. And as I don't know what is useless and what is not I'm afraid to sell anything, but apparently the starting equipment can be safely sold.

This small update will still be in the small picture format as I had already taken these pics and I am a lazy bastard.

Part 2.2: Highpool

So we decided to find out what happened to the kids dog. I guess we'll be finding out where the cave is now.

A0dtu.png

It should be here. I spent a good few minutes running into walls and around Highpool wondering why I couldn't find the cave, then found out that using the perception skill on a Texas Ranger results in different descriptions... So I went back to this spot and...

GWUHF.png

Voila! Of course we enter the cave instantly, hoping to find the dog Rex.

UJxBW.png

Hmm, I guess we should tread carefully, there is no knowing what might be here. Mutated trannies which were outcasted from Highpool ages ago and decided to build a colony below the village are an option.

tF8wK.png

Rex! There you are! Err, are you okay Rex?
Apparently not, as I had some pretty bad luck with him on the first round. It outright slaughtered my whole party. Wow. I have no idea why I couldn't hit it, goddamn hellhound! Let's try that again...

YbrLF.png

Leka finally delivers the killing blow to the little boy's dog, this time it didn't hit a single time.
Now to explore the caves more. I bumped into the rocks but unlike with the perception thing, I knew to use the climbing skill. And as I did I understood it was worthless to get it for every character. :rage: Anyway, Luglug shall climb the dreadful blockade of rocks in the cave, mostly with great success. Until this happens.

FW7K4.png

Luglug, you didn't forget you had arms did you?

This part I failed pretty much, I forgot to take pictures. Fuck me. Well, to my surprise, the party found a brat in the cave. She is Jackie, who we apparently against our will saved (and who's name was on the notice board in the store) . Well I guess she can act as a shield.

pxJHy.png
FvpdA.png

We exit the cave and decide to leave town, as there propably isn't much to do in this shithole.

4bgZ1.png

Oh crap, what does that kid want now? I really hope I don't need to fight him.
I carefully use the run command to get my party closer, and try to use my diplomacy skills to no avail.

58yyJ.png

Oh crap, I had to kill him. That brat jumped on Leka and did 10 damage! Still, pretty sad to kill the kid who went crazy because of his crazy dog. This must be the infamous moment in the game.

With that deal done, let's get out of this town.

lPJTO.png

We'll head to the NE, towards the structures there.

Ytnj4.png
VfTpf.png

The agricultural centre will be in the next update, when I someday get to it. My exams are coming up and I have quite the limited schedule... Anyway, hope I did something right!

Humppaleka

Cipher
Abandoned. Playing the game still but just can't get myself to take pics every 2 seconds and modify them, I'm not made of hard enough materials. :mad: And I have loads of exams coming up, so no time for anything but casual play.
Apparently the images got fucked anyway. And my Endurance is not high enough to LP anything pretty much, which concludes this test. At least it introduced me to this great game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom