Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets half-assedly play Labyrinth of Touhou!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Because I wanted moar dungeon crawling and wanted to replay this.

Some notes before the actual LP starts:

I'm not going to record all (or most or even a decent amount) of the dialogue, let alone the random battles. I'll just be taking screenshots when something is interesting/new from a mechanical standpoint. I kinda doubt any of you care about the pallete swapped foozles or the inane 4th wall breaking chatter. I won't even be mentioning most of the unique points in the dungeon unless they're particularly important or new.

I'm not taking this one too seriously, so there's a decent chance it'll get abandoned partially or entirely, either because I want to play farther without screenshotting stuff, or because I get my fill and don't feel like playing any further.

The game itself is a ball crushing dungeon crawler in inanes anime clothing. TPKs are game over, you can only save outside the dungeon, and there's no way to revive characters inside the dungeon. And the bosses, random encounters, and dungeon itself are all fucking evil bullshit at times. Fuck you floor 7. Just fuck you. (Floor 7 isn't even that bad.)

Finally, the screenshots are obnoxiously large because the in battle damage text is obnoxiously small and faint and I'm not going to crop them or transcribe things or do anything that work intensive. I'll try to keep the number of images to a minimum instead.

So all that aside, lets begin! The story starts...

TLa0001.jpg

What the... fuck off! I just said we don't give a fuck about the story. And what is a dude doing in a touhou game anyways? Give me back my waifus! :x

TLa0002.jpg

So, the dungeon. We can see one tile in each cardinal direction. The graphics are just the beige map and the background. The title and shit on the front are just the screen splash for us entering floor 1 for the first time.
TLa0003.jpg

Battle! The attack command is actually pretty much useless. Putting aside the fact that half the characters or more or mages with shitty attack anyways, all the physical fighters have spells based off their attack stat anyways.
TLa0004.jpg

Spell descriptions are largely bullshit. Maybe I'll link to a resource for what their actual stats are later, or just post some details myself. For now, all you need to know is that we mostly blow stuff up with spells. Each character gets their own set, which enver changes.
TLa0005.jpg

Oh, and they all have awesome graphics.
TLa0006.jpg

DEAR GOD MY EYES ARGHHH.
TLa0007.jpg

I'll uh, probably just turn those off later. Though a few of them do look pretty cool, the majority are thrown together with the RPGmaker engine and involve a whole lot of glowy shit.
TLa0008.jpg

Our two starting characters here, Reimu and Marisa, both have relatively cheap single target spell that can one shot these stupid fluffballs. Our first battle is a cakewalk.

TLa0009.jpg

So, 6 xp. Right. How much do we need for a level up?
TLa0010.jpg

SIXTY-FOUR? Fucking assholes. Also, this is the status screen. Feel free to speculate on what all the numbers do.
TLa0011.jpg

Reimu's second spell is a 'row target' spell. Row targetting is a rather stupid translation/description.
TLa0012.jpg

What it actually does is hit all enemies in the battle, but the damage diminishes with each subsequent target as you move to the right. They're generally only good for killing 2, maybe 3 targets. And only if those targets are on the left side. This'll be important later on.
TLa0013.jpg

Oh, this spell also paralyzes shit, which is pretty cool.
TLa0014.jpg

Obviously, considering the SP costs of these spells, we're going to run out of magic fairly soon.
TLa0015.jpg

This is what the focus command is for. The character spends a turn regenerating some SP.
TLa0016.jpg

Though it's a pretty tiny amount honestly.
TLa0017.jpg

Luckily Marisa can one shot the whole enemy team with one of her spells so we don't get raped by them when they move.

TLa0018.jpg

Outside of battle, we can select the 'Rest' command.
TLa0019.jpg

This has the equivalent effect of making everyone in the party focus once. However, it also costs everyone 2 TP.
TLa0020.jpg

I dunno what TP are supposed to stand for, but when they hit 0 the character leaves the party until you exit the dungeon, as if they'd died. You also lose at least 1 TP for participating in a battle, so we can only be in one more fight before we'll have to leave, since our SP is low and we won't be able to rest any more.
TLa0021.jpg

Well shit, our last fight turned out to be against a stronger enemy than we'd fought up till now, and our shitty spells didn't cut it.
TLa0022.jpg

:rage:
TLa0023.jpg

Luckily I had saved after, uh, doing basically nothing. So thats good.

TLa0024.jpg

This time our first battle nets us an item! All items in this game are equipment.

TLa0025.jpg

This particular piece of equipment is fairly useless however.
TLa0026.jpg

Our lazor cannons mercilessly cut down our foes. Note that I changed our formation here: since they're both the same speed, putting Marisa in front let her act first, so she could focus before Reimu blasted everything, giving us more SP to work with than if we'd blasted them before Marisa could move and wasted her turn. Every bit counts.
TLa0027.jpg

Hark! A... something. Pretty much all points of interest on the dungeon are marked like this, regardless of what they are.
TLa0028.jpg

Of course, we got into a fight as we approached it. Hopefully it won't initiate a fight itself.
TLa0029.jpg

Ah, it's just some sidequest fluff. Move along, nothing to see here.
TLa0030.jpg

Time to bail. We can return to base at any time simply by choosing to do so from the menu. No need to fight our way back to where we came in. Of course, this simply made the game designers feel free to make it nigh impossible to even get to the edge of the current floor without becoming exhausted, let alone get back to the entrance.
TLa0031.jpg

Damn I sure do love me a game with menus. Time to spend our xp to level up. We don't automatically level up in the dungeon.
TLa0032.jpg

Fuck, we had other party members? Why the fuck didn't anybody tell me? Fucking asshole characters.

TLa0033.jpg

Well, only these two had enough to gain a level anyways, thugh our reserves gain 80% xp too, so having a character die or just not get used for a while doesn't make them useless by any means. You can see the change in stats between the two stat blocks. Leveling increases both the base stat, and a multiplier stat for each individual stat. So our stats will go up on a nice logarithmic path, making each level at least somewhat significant.
TLa0034.jpg

We also get to manually assign a single point per level to a stat. This increases the multiplier only, not the base stat. Both the level up and the assigned point increase the multiplier by 2% for most stats. Though it's a bit different for HP/SP/SPD. Also, the resistances aren't like the other stats and only go up when you spend points on them.
TLa0035.jpg

Anyways, as you can see, 1 point in HP is a pretty shitty return. I'm going to be spending Reimu's level up points on speed probably, for reasons I'll explain at some point down the line. Marisa's just get dumped into MAG so she can hurt things more. Because hurting things more is good.
TLa0036.jpg

Anyways, I find the menu where I can add in the rest of our party from the reserve where they start. Jerks.

TLa0038.jpg

I adjust our formation and leave Patchy (purple hair) in the reserve. Mostly because she has shitty low TP and will get worn out quickly if she's in the main group.

TLa0039.jpg

Anyways, the new characters are obviously significantly different stat wise. The one with the most HP is Remilia, and she's our first tank character. Enemies tend to target the first two characters in the group, especially with physical attacks. So having a tough character there that can take the hits without dying (or even being hurt if they're good enough) is very helpful. Sakuya (blue eyes) is a speedy character, though it's not much of an advantage at this point. Her first and cheapest spell is a multi target attack for a measely 24 SP. However, she's not strong enough for it to kill anything yet.

TLa0040.jpg

In case you couldn't tell for some weird reason totally unrelated to the massive glaring bloom laser, that's Marisa's spell. It's actually popping up by her portrait.

TLa0041.jpg

It's a row target spell, and she's a better nuker than Reimu. The extra level helps too.

TLa0042.jpg

We'll swap Sakuya out. She'll slowly recover some SP while out of battle.
TLa0043.jpg

Remilias first spell is a single target attack for 24 SP. It does decent damage and pierces defenses pretty well. But, well, it's single target. Which kinda sucks for random battles.
TLa0044.jpg

Patchy gets a nice selection of attack spells. They're msotly multi target, and very cheap considering their stats.
TLa0045.jpg

Combined with Patchy's godly MAG stat, they pretty much rape everything. To compensate, Patchy has low TP, low HP, low DEF (and by low I mean fucking abysmal) low SPD, low ATK.... you get the idea. Her only redeeming qualities are her MAG, MND, and spells.
TLa0046.jpg

Fuck, 3 of these. These fuckers are tough and survived my crappy spells. I should have spent more SP instead of using the cheapo versions.
TLa0047.jpg

Things do not look too good right now.
TLa0048.jpg

Our last ditch attack fails.
TLa0049.jpg

Luckily we have an escape command.
TLa0050.jpg

Escape from random battles always works. Which is good, because without it we'd be pretty utterly fucked. Also, escaping carries and extra 2 TP penalty for the members in the battle, on top of the base amount they'd lose anyways, which varies from 1 to 4 based on how much hp they lost in the fight. (HP is restored between fights though, assuming it didn't hit 0.) Well, back to base.
TLa0051.jpg

Aside from leveling up, we can also raise our stats by spending SkillPts.
TLa0052.jpg

The costs to raise a stat start cheap but rise. Where exactly they start and how quickly they rise depends on the character. Some characters can raise a stat very efficiently while others get screwed. Sometimes a stat starts at the same price for two characters but is way cheaper for another 10 points later.
TLa0053.jpg

Anyways, Skillpts function as currency in the game. You can choose which stat to dump them on and which character to spend them on. I could spend every last point I ever get on Patchy if I wanted to. Which would be retarded, because I could buy hundreds of levels on other characters for the cost of one point later on. Where to draw the line depends on how much you value the character and how much they need the stats. Some characters are useful even with low stats because of the way their spells work. Others need a huge investment to be useful, and are better off either cranked way up or completely ignored.
Points spent here raise the stat multiplier by 3%, instead of 2%. Not that this is all cumulative. So a level 11 character with 5 of their points spent on DEF and skillpoints spent to buy 3 levels on DEF and an item granting +20% DEF would have a multiplier of [100%(base)]+[20%(level bonus to all stats)]+[10%(level up points allocated)]+[9%(skillpoints spent for 3 levels)]+[20%(Item bonus)]= 159% multiplier for DEF. It just all gets added up instead of multiplying together for crazy amounts.

TLa0054.jpg

Oh, the game does, mercifully, give you an automap btw. It even shows you points of interest that have showed up in places you already explored even if they weren't there before and you haven't seen them yet, like this one.

TLa0055.jpg

More items! We boost up Patchy's horrible SP Recovery stat from 8% to 16%. This gets factored in not jsut for focusing, but also for resting and gradually gains while in the back row, so it's an important stat. It's also a stat that can't be improved with levels or skillpoints. One more flaw to keep Patchy from ruling the world.:x
TLa0056.jpg

This is the result of her 52 SP 'Royal Flare' spell. She makes Reimu and Marisa look like total chumps by comparison.
TLa0057.jpg

:hmmm:

I choose to head back to base here incase this sparks a fight. We're too weak to win a hard battle and have no TP for resting left.

TLa0058.jpg

This is actually a different icon, since I chose to explore another part of the dungeon when we came back. Now I feel stupid, the other one was probably a chest too.

TLa0059.jpg

Sweet. That would have been nice to have earlier.

TLa0060.jpg

Now this will certainly spark a fight. We're in pretty good shape though.

TLa0061.jpg

I'll spare you the pre boss fight dialogue because I'm so terribly kind.

TLa0062.jpg

This could potentially be a good boss kill spell. It has a very high damage multiplier.

TLa0063.jpg

But it seems Sakuya's attack is barely above the DEF threshold to even do anything at all her. Ugh.
TLa0064.jpg

Marisa's single target spell does much better, and for 1/3 the cost.
TLa0065.jpg

It seems this enemy has strong DEF but somewhat weaker MND. Reimu's attacks factor in an average of both, so she'll probably be rather lackluster on offense. I have her focus for now.
TLa0066.jpg

Remilia got hit for 88 damage here in case you didn't notice the numbers on her portrait. I wish I could make them show up better. Anyways, this boss is hitting fairly hard considering thats our tank. She seems to be using both physical and magical attacks too.

TLa0067.jpg

Remilia's attack pierces her defense pretty nicely though, and lands respectable damage.
TLa0068.jpg

Time to put Reimu to work. Reimu's offense sort of peters out later on, but her defensive spells remain useful all game long, so thats why I'm going to focus on her speed more than anything else. It'll help her get the spells off in time and recover SP faster in reserve (characters in reserve are effectively using focus whenever their turn comes up, so fast characters recover SP faster, especially during long battles like this.)

TLa0069.jpg

Reimu isn't the only character we have with a buff spell right now, but she's the only one with a USEFUL buff spell. I'll show the others when they're actually viable.

TLa0070.jpg

Current buff status is shown when a character's turn is up (you can also check others' by selecting them with the switch command or a spell). Notice how it's only at 40% even though the spell said it was a 50% buff? Buffs degrade by 20% of their current value whenever a character's turn comes up. So there's an interesting diminishing returns effect in play when you're trying to keep buffs at high levels. Not that we could even try right now anyways. Reimu's SP are pretty much gone from that one spell.
TLa0071.jpg

The buff is helping a lot though, it cut the damage to Remilia from ~90 to ~20.
TLa0072.jpg

Sakuya focused and has enough SP for her best defense piercing spell now. It's really fucking expensive though, since it's multi target and non elemental and defense piercing.

TLa0073.jpg

And the damage still isn't that high. Sakuya's attack just isn't that impressive yet.
TLa0074.jpg

Our enemy (Mei-Ling I think?) landed a nasty hit on Marisa. defense buffs don't matter much when your defense is shit to begin with. And they're starting to wear off now anyways.

TLa0075.jpg

We bring in patchy to fire off the ultimate boss busting weapon.

TLa0076.jpg

Nice. Though I was hoping for a bit more honestly.

TLa0077.jpg

Colourful Rain? I remember that spellcard from the main series. That shit used to rape me.

TLa0078.jpg

Fucking cunt! 1800 hp heal spell? Hopefully this is a one time deal.

TLa0079.jpg

Well, we do have our own healing spell too :smug:

TLa0080.jpg

Though, 1800 hp worth, it is not. Also, notice Reimu's bar. If you haven't figured it out yet, those gauges determine turn order. Most spells and actions reset it to 50% (which is also where it starts at the begining of fights.) Since 50% is the baseline, it leaves room for really powerful spells to knock it back even further. Reimu's healing spell drains it all the way to 0.

TLa0081.jpg

The defense buff is worn off to the point that our tank is getting hurt pretty badly again from just plain attacks. Our SP is getting low on all our characters too.
TLa0082.jpg

And there goes our first character. We've swapped Patchy back in since she recovered enough SP for some more nuking though, maybe she can end things for us.
TLa0083.jpg

I'm getting kind of desperate so I'll try this spell instead of Silent Selene. Why would I use a multi target spell that is even cheaper if I'm desperate? Well, this one has an element, which is considered a drawback, has a longer delay after casting, which is blatantly a drawback. Finally, while Silent Selene is defense piercing, tis spell just has a giant damage multiplier, but is easily resisted. I'm banking on our enemy having shitty MND to resist with.

TLa0084.jpg

Score!
TLa0085.jpg

She's still standing though. I have Remilia focus so she can hopefully get off another attack or two. Remilia actually has a rather good SP recovery stat.
TLa0086.jpg

Of course she gets knocked out. I have Marisa swap Reimu in instead of focusing. I could have swapped her into an empty slot instead of her own, but I wasn't thinking too clearly. Now I'm hoping the boss is vulnerable to paralysis, because Patchy's second gust didn't finish her off and we're going to need to focus to attack again.
TLa0087.jpg

Sweet! Evil Sealing Circle finished her off.

TLa0088.jpg

Glorious victory is ours!

TLa0089.jpg

We'll be recruiting a lot of the people we beat the shit out of in here. Reimu has a strong enslavement policy in effect. Meiling will make a good tank for the foreseeable future.

TLa0090.jpg

And we'll stop here for now.

Damned Registrations

Technically I could swap out all the Waifu art for something else, but it'd be a lot of work.

Speaking of work, this is way less work than Brigandine is. I'm going to keep running that, but playing that for like half an hour nets me about 300 screenshots. Playing this for half an hour nets me more like 50.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
In before HURR WEABOO FAGGOTS:M

This game is actually decent, although there are way too many trash combats. I :salute: you for having the balls to LP this game on the Codex, DR.

Also, change the font FFS. The current font are killing my eyes and I bet they are killing your eyes too.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
The english translation patch should include two font files: dfminc.ttc and hgrpp1.ttc (I can upload them if they aren't there). Just copy them into your fonts directory (likely C:\Windows\Fonts).

Damned Registrations

Holy shit my eyes aren't bleeding now! I shall name a monster after you in my Brigandine LP Ser. :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still find it pretty hilarious that THIS is the best PC dungeon crawler in the last, what, 10 years?

Thanks for doing this LP, DR! :salute:

(This being the Codex, there probably won't be many people following it, though. Everybody knows the Codex only cares about the way a game looks, not the way it plays. :P)

Johannes

Arcane
Playing Brigandine with battle animations on seems like a chore even without LPing.

Also, Prosper makes better art than this games visuals. And it's not just the look, the overall feel of the game is just offputting, there's no satisfaction in seeing numbers go up when those numbers belong to derpy girls going on in a dungeon for whatever reason which I don't really want to know. In the end the reason to play RPGs over properly challenging (multiplayer) strategy games is the exploration and "cool" aspect.

Damned Registrations

Yeah but those packs would be a lateral move for the people complaining. I doubt changing them to swimsuit versions would be appreciated, for example. I was talking about swapping them out for something completely unrelated to touhou. But that'd be a giant pain in the ass.

Damned Registrations

I've been spending most of my time playing unmonocle action games lately, so this one is going to be on hold for quite a while. I have an update for it sitting in my screenshots folder though.

Yeesh

Magister
I don't know. This game's a little unrealistic. Because like how could that one girl stay balanced on one foot for so long? I just don't know if I can suspend my disbelief, but I'm willing to keep trying.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Next time someone complains about GUI in Fallout or any GoldBox game, I'll point them to this thread. That must be the worst GUI I've ever seen or at least remember. And dem graphics! Mystic Quest on SNES had better monster graphics back in 1992. Fuck, GB games have better GFX than this. All the colours of acid-tripping rainbow, windows opening on top of each other, ugly ass (unreadable) font, some elements hiding behind the background, WTF were the makers smoking? Is this an actual commercial game in Japan?

So what you're saying is, I need to do an LP of Aurora next?
Definitely man. Would be nice to see what other people experience there. No two games are identical thanks to procedural galaxy creation!

Damned Registrations

Maybe I should have explained that part. It's a fanmade translation of a fangame of an indie game. It was probably made in RPGmaker.

I mean, the guys who made the original put it on a disk and sold it, but at like, conventions and stuff. Not a retail game. It's about as commercial as KotC.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Thrice cursed, eh? Okay, in that case I can understand the awful things that pop up. Still, my eyes and all that. At least the character development seems somewhat complex and the battles have a sense of tactics, what with bringing reserves in and out of battle and the different elements in spells.

desocupado

Magister
MOAR.

Also, can you change the lolis for something else? Anything non-loli would be fine. Preferably with breasts. Non-loli breasts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom