Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Lets blow shit up in space! (Faster Than Light)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That's more or less what I'm doing with the rock cruiser on easy mode. The augment means a guaranteed succes if I encounter the right type of distress beacon. Still, getting that beacon and then getting the research center to spawn, followed by the rock homeworld? I have yet to see it. :M

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh? I guess I got lucky with my other unlocks. Got all cruisers (except for type Bs) unlocked, except for the crystal one. I'm a bit obsessed now. It's not healthy. :roll:

lightbane

Arcane
Congrats for finishing the lp! :love:

Now, for next one, I would like to see if Lufia 2 is so good as they say (the original one, not the horrible rape/remake that changes the art and is not even a rpg...). Failing that, Transcendence could be good too.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
That looked pretty easy once ~80 scraps rewards started coming. I guess boarding ship is the easiest way to win?

Go for Nethack. And use spoiler tags or wait for bumps, that fourth page had too many images for my taste.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Yeah, I find boarding the easiest way to secure a win. But obviously if you get some amazing weapon drops that might be a better option.

Hmm, since I'm just getting votes and not suggestions, I think I'll just start the poll.

Cool name

Arcane
Yours was an interesting final battle for me to read. Even when I do always use boarding vessels I did never try to assault the main deck.

Congratulations for finishing the Let's Play. And congratulations too for obtaining the crystal cruiser. I do hope you enjoy the ship.

And do forgive me for this petition but please pay heed at what TOME did say. At times it did become very hard to check the new updates and comments. Yet it is not a deal breaker if it does bother you to do so. I did enjoy your Let's Play the same.

Damned Registrations

I was actually the one who suggested people do that in the first place. I ended up not doing it because people were complaining about it resizing the images or not fitting properly or some shit but I think that's mostly been fixed by now. I've honestly just forgotten about it until recently and didn't want to switch in the middile of a LP.

Also I noticed at some point that the images still have to load, even if they are spoilered. Though the biggest annoyance for me is just the scrolling thing. It's why I had everyone LPing stuff on ignore before we switched to the new forums where ignore doesn't work the same way :x

Ashery

Prophet
Boarding the flagship was only really possible because of the lockdown.

Grats on the win and the unlock, but I was raging at your upgrade choices throughout the entire update :lol:

My vote goes for Transcendence.

Damned Registrations

Nah, with 8 crew and bombs it'd work out just fine without lockdown. Bomb medbay, send in 4 people to prevent repairs, score kills. Missiles would allow the same thing, so would any combination of weapons that let you do at least 3 damage to the medbay in a reasonable amount of time. Also, a boarding crew with rockmen + fire is even more OP, since the fire is basically impossible to extinguish.

Glad to make lots of people rage though :troll:

Monocause

Arcane
Congrats. I still think you took a number of unnecessary risks though and sat on scrap too much.

One thing I'd do differently, for instance, is that I'd upgrade the reactor much earlier than you did. Consider this: the power will come in handy anyway when you upgrade your shields or whatever. If you had the extra power you could always keep your engines at max power, and that extra couple percent of evasion can sometimes go a long way to make RNG your bitch. Extra power help if you hit a nebula storm and oftentimes is just convenient, allowing you to keep your medbay powered without looking for the green bars elsewhere - and when you decide to upgrade, it is something you have already bought.

Ashery

Prophet
Nah, with 8 crew and bombs it'd work out just fine without lockdown. Bomb medbay, send in 4 people to prevent repairs, score kills. Missiles would allow the same thing, so would any combination of weapons that let you do at least 3 damage to the medbay in a reasonable amount of time. Also, a boarding crew with rockmen + fire is even more OP, since the fire is basically impossible to extinguish.

Glad to make lots of people rage though :troll:

On stage two or three, you're correct in that one bomb launcher is enough, but stage one will completely fuck you over with the cloak. You *might* be able to pull it off without lockdown on the Mantis-B because of the four man teleport, but I still have my doubts.

Damned Registrations

Nah, I've done it before with only a small bomb as the single weapon that can get through shields.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:dance:

Finally unlocked the crystal cruiser! Steam tells me it's 79 hours played now.. :oops:

Found some tips on the FTL forum that I'd thought I'd share if anyone was in the same situation as I was. Follow this handy guide and you'll save yourself a lot of fruitless time spent chasing an impossible phantom. So many things need to be lined up for the unlock to be possible, so if the following isn't true, keep restarting as is recommended under point 3:

1. Have all the possible scenarios/sectors written down and sitting beside you while you play (can all be found at the beginning of this thread). (BTW, you *can* get the stasis pod from the rock-controlled sector.)

2. Play with the rock ship, type A. The missiles let you grind through quickly without having to worry about upgrading too much.

3. Bee-line through the first sector to the exit. Stop at any store to try and pick up a long-range scanner if you get lucky enough. But your goal should be to get through the first sector as fast as possible (seriously, skip any battle you don't have to fight - you're probably going to restart) so you can see the sector map and decide whether or not to restart. No part of unlocking the cruiser requires you to fight an enemy, so you really don't need to worry about gathering scrap and upgrading your ship (except for shields so you don't get ripped apart by lasers).

4. At the end of the first sector, look at the sector map. If one of the next sectors wasn't one with the stasis pod (rock, pirate, zoltan, engi), I restarted. If that wasn't followed by a branching pattern that let me choose three different green sectors within the next two jumps (to get the Zoltan research event at Zoltan or Engi), I restarted. Finally, I wanted to be able to choose between at least three different reds near the end of the map to maximize my chances of actually hitting that damn rock homeworld. If there were just one or two reds at the end, I restarted. So, overall, I restarted probably 80% of the time at the end of sector 1.

When all under point 4 finally was true for me, everything panned out! Sure took me long enough though. Now I can enjoy the game on normal difficulty getting the other achievements, and focus on simply winning instead of maximising my chances for this long shot. :roll:

Cool name

Arcane
I do want to dedicate a moment of silence to your win ratio.

Do rest in peace, win ratio of Azira. You did your best.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Win ratio? :lol: Yeah, that's a bust. :roll:

I hope it'll get slightly better from now on. Hope is ever green. My first go at the crystal cruiser is looking good. In sector 6, doing well. I think they'll make it through to the end, as long as I don't do something stupid. Which isn't entirely unlikely. :M

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Sorry for bumping a finished LP, but I wanted to let everyone know that FTL is on sale at GOG for any of you cheapskates who were on the fence about getting it (me).

That is all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom