Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Leon Boyarsky on... things.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hahaha. I love that article.

The so called kings of Tb combat have fallen into follwoing the RT w/pause crowd. Hahaha. Poor little Troika fanboys will make exuses now.

Though it is too bad that they can't find a publisher. Obviously, Mr. Cain and Co. aren't as persuasive as they should be...

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
The so called kings of Tb combat have fallen into follwoing the RT w/pause crowd. Hahaha. Poor little Troika fanboys will make exuses now.

Boy, you're quick. They did the same thing couple of years ago with Arcanum, and although it wasn't stricte RT with pause, the TB system was quite useless (and I, personally, used it as a kind of an active pause).

Troika fanboys won't make exuses. Troika fanboys are dangerous. Troika fanboys'll kill you.

As to the biased developers - the market would need a ground-shaking flop, like NWN 2 not selling too well (though that's quite impossible, vide NWN Tewzdayz, or however is that fans-sticking-tounges-into-devs-and-other-fan's-asses thingy called), or a situation similar to that of Driv3r to make them see their wrongdoings.
And PA cRPGs have quite a commercial potential - note the uproar about FO3. There are really many people interested in that genere.

Reklar

Liturgist
I think part of the reason Fallout caused such an uproar lately is simply because it was a slow newsday. :? There's apparently been enough exposure for Fallout in the last few years to keep it in the consciousness of addlebrained gaming newsites like GameSpy. I'm not sure how, given the apparent distaste of "normal" people relating to fans of Fallout, but it was an interesting week when Bethesda picked up the licence. Hopefully the recent coverage of Fallout will spark some interest in publishers who are a little more forward thinking than EA, VU, or Atari. I know I'm sick of seeing real-time fantasy "cRPGs" and I'm not even that difficult to please really considering I bought both Baldur's Gate games and their expansions. The fact I never finished either BG game in the years I've had them, but have finished both Fallout games several times, is a telling arguement for me though. Unfortunately nobody of publishing consequence is interested in the opinion of a Fallout fan. :?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What's wrong with real time, Volourn?

Turn-based is fine and dandy, but if Troika can make a good game with real time, I don't see what the problem is. I'm quite easily one of the strongest proponents of Deus Ex around these forums, and if Vampire: Bloodlines can provide a similar experience with a (hopefully) larger number of role-playing options and a strong skill system unlike the one used in Invisible War, I don't think you'll be hearing any complaints from me.

As for the state of RPGs these days, it's regrettable that there aren't more turn-based titles, but I'm glad that we aren't seeing any reinsurgence of Might and Magic/Wizardry type of games. I hate those more than anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Troika fanboys'll kill you."

really? Please send the Troika fanboys to 644 Lakeshore Dr Unit 36, North bay, ontario, kanada and elt's test that theory. There gots to be one willing to do so.

"What's wrong with real time, Volourn?"

Nothing. But, when someone goes on, and on about how great turn based combat and how much they prefer turn based combat and then land up doing RT combat not because they want to; but because they feel they have to. I feel that's sil. I say if Troika wants o make turn based games they should make turn base games. Afterall, Atari approached them to make a D&D game which was turn abse and made some profit at least right? SDo, to say that *no one* is willing to fund turn base games is balony plain and simple and I simply don't buy it.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Turn based D&D is different from turn based PA. As I understand it there is no publisher around that wants to hear about something that a) is a new IP, b)turn based c)a PC only RPG and d)set in an unfamiliar style (post apocalyptic).

Troika had to compromise on one of those things, as far as I see it. And I know for a fact that they don't see BG's combat as a decent model to take ideas from. So, whereas Bethesda I was/am cynical about given their past, with Troika I'm going to be optimistic for the same reason that they can still do something good with this setback.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Nothing. But, when someone goes on, and on about how great turn based combat and how much they prefer turn based combat and then land up doing RT combat not because they want to; but because they feel they have to. I feel that's sil.

It's a market reality. Your chums at Bioware would likely agree its a commercial compromise at this point.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh, what can I say... Troika fucked up on TOEE.

They had their chance and they totally fucked it up by insisting on not modifying a single fucking thing about Gary Gygax's bare-bones (it was made that way so the DM could add his own stuff into the mix) campaign.

I'm tired of having to defend them for it. They made a relatively wretched game with good combat, which wouldn't have been so wretched if they had put any effort into the campaign.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
Volourn said:
Nothing. But, when someone goes on, and on about how great turn based combat and how much they prefer turn based combat and then land up doing RT combat not because they want to; but because they feel they have to. I feel that's sil.

It's a market reality. Your chums at Bioware would likely agree its a commercial compromise at this point.

I'm giving Troika the benefit of the doubt until something more comes out. If I can't trust Troika to make a hardcore RPG, who can I trust? However, I think we should continue to push the turn based issue, as it appears to be a publisher issue, and they haven't signed any contracts yet. So if we can show that a big enough market for turn based exists...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Your chums at Bioware would likely agree its a commercial compromise at this point."

1. BIO hates me (but love my moolah).

2. From what I've seen unlike Troika; BIO seems to like RT w/pause combat engines so they don't seem to be making any sacrifices in that regard...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:

I think I remember one or other Bioware developer having expressed understanding that there is a market for turnbased games, and that they wouldn't mind making something in that area, but that it wasn't economically feasible. Granted, one or other developer, not the entire company, but still, its indicative that at least someone there wouldn't mind.

Then again, they are keen on revisionism, so this may not apply anymore.

Gwendo

Augur
I would be happy enough if they do like Fallout Tactics or Age of Wonders, and offer the choice of combat type: TB, RT or STB.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
RP, like you said, one developer; not the company or the company oweners ala Tim cain who very much is or at least was 1005 pro turn base combat until he actually had to go in sell his product ideas to publishers..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom