Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legerdemain - IF + Roguelike (ASCII allergics stay away)

The Dude

Liturgist
Since the search function seems utterly broken for me at the moment I don't know if anyone else found the gem that's Legerdemain. It's basically a roguelike coupled with Interactive Fiction, which actually works as well as it sounds like when you hear it.

Your character is some kind of mage, called a "manipulator" in the setting, and the type of mage as well as any additional skills are chosen in the beginning through a set of questions a la Daggerfall or JA2. The schools of magery aren't really that cookie-cutter but all of them feels kinda usefull. Which could be seen as a bad thing is that the game employs memorization a kin to AD&D, but on the other hand this makes it a real decision when to use your powers since rememorizing some of the spells takes a lot of time.

The first dungeon (at least what you can see of it when you are trying to escape) is pretty boring, but once you come out (which is likely to cost you a few characters) the game opens up. The thing that makes this roguelike stand out though, are the pretty much non roguelike elements of dialogue and story. There are reoccurent descriptions of locations popping up sometimes and the ones I have encountered so far are generally well written although a bit bombastic at times. The dialogue system is the tested and true approach using a few speak-phrases (hail, chat, gossip, offer, ask) coupled with the ability to type in a keyword if you ask something. You mostly won't get any essay-lenght expositions out of NPCs, but what's there is again decently written and relevant.

I haven't actually come that far into the game yet, but what I've seen so far makes me want to play it more. If you don't mind ASCII, and thinks that a combination of a roguelike and interactive fiction sounds like a good idea I think you should try Legerdemain out.

Some pics:

Character screen:
charascreen-51.PNG

Entering the first village:
description-2f.PNG

MisterStone

Arcane
Sounds like a fun game, although that text passage makes me want to tear my eyeballs out. Is it a translation from another language or something?

Higher Game

Arcane
It's written like 4th rate emo generic fantasy, but it's better than <shudder> randomly generated dialogue. I'll check it out.

lumin

Novice
This is a pretty cool roguelike. I just bought the 300 page cluebook and map a few days ago.

What I like most about it, is the sheer number of secrets and sub-plots that can be discovered. They are mostly unrelated to the main quest, but make exploring a lot more fun.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
MisterStone said:
Sounds like a fun game, although that text passage makes me want to tear my eyeballs out. Is it a translation from another language or something?

People who make computer games generally aren't good writers. Sad but true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom