Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview KOTOR interview at GameSpot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarsknightsoftor/preview_6077401.html>interviewed</a> <a href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare</a>'s project director Casey Hudson and co-executive producer Greg Zeschuk.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>CH: One of the biggest achievements was the combat system, which was also a huge risk for us. We wanted to create something that combined the strategic aspects of our Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights but which presented it through fast, cinematic 3D action. That required us to make something that hadn't really been done before, so we were relieved to see how much fun people had with it. It was great to finally get the last of our interface changes completed and suddenly realize that the combat system we had built was extremely compelling.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I must have blinked and missed all that strategic combat in NWN. All I remember is clicking on enemies until I kicked them to death.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I must have blinked and missed all that strategic combat in NWN. All I remember is clicking on enemies until I kicked them to death.

Hehe. Well, there IS strategy in NWN combat, but it's not really present in the OC. I've played some player created modules that required me to think and plan before leaping into battle. It all depends on what the creator of the module has done script-wise and such. Some of them just make the monsters ridiculously hard, but others do take time to set things up so you have to use your brains and not just your brawn.

As far as combat in KOTOR goes, it's such a blast to watch. As far as strategy goes... well, if you make your character right, you can muscle your way through the first two thirds of the game pretty much without a thought about strategy. But that leaves you lacking in social skills which come in very handy as well. I have played through the XBox version with all three character types using different party members and have found it to be a deeply strategic game at times. It's a good game and I personally think it's my fave Bioware game right alongside Dark Alliance. And that has nothing to do with it being in the Star Wars universe either. Although watching lightsaber duels in the game is such a treat. :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Actually, the word he wanted was tactics, but you can't expect someone from a company like BioWare to know the difference.

Voss

Erudite
I can see the wires!

Well, not really, but it almost looks like a cut/paste job... though I assume even gamespot has better standards than that.
he's not hanging in the air very realistically, though.
And the swords look like they wandered right out of NWN and got a colorshifted positive energy enhancement.

Very bad screenshot. the character models are clearly on top of a seperate background. Theres a reason bright colors are bad.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, it looks as if it was taken from Mortal Kombat 1 with some face-lifting. Maybe it's even worse - they don't seem to fight actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom