Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kotor 2 review by me

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
All of the 'real' reviews pretty much say the same thing. That Kotor2 is just an expansion pack of Kotor. This is true, mostly. Everything is essentially the same, on the surface, except a few things.

The item upgrading system is much bigger and better. There are loads more items than Kotor had. There are a bunch of new feats and force powers that make you one badass mofo.

Dialogue options also appear due to your skills much more than in the original. For instance: If you have 'Awareness' you can sense that a person is holding back information or is willing to pay you more for your reward. Repair is one skill that came up a lot.

I don't remember if in Kotor you could get experience just by speaking with your friends while on the Ebon Hawk, but in Kotor 2 you definately do. You also gain special abilities by speaking with them. You can ignore them altogether if you want to, but I wouldn't advise it. You get some really powerful abilities through dialogue in Kotor2.

Almost every character that joins you in Kotor2 has a special ability of their own. It may have to be unlocked through dialogue, though. Remember, you have to gain influence with each character before they will tell you certain things. I don't think it's possible to unlock all of their stories in one game. They have to be traveling with you to gain influence or lose it. You can gain or lose some through speaking on the ship, but it isn't enough.

Speaking of dialogue: The script is written much better than the first game. I can't say there is a single character in Kotor 2 (that joins you) that annoyed me by saying stupid shit like they annoyed me in Kotor (i.e. All of the characters in Kotor except the droids).

The story is awesome. If you thought Kotor's story was great, after you play Kotor 2, you will think it was crap. Kotor's was pretty cliche and shallow at times. Kotor 2's is much deeper and very dark. The villains in Kotor 2 make the ones in Kotor look like carebears. I never really had any idea of what to expect. Even up to the very end.

Oh, and don't be surprised if Kotor 3 is announced in the future.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Hrm, talking to every characters in KOTOR would have been a fucking pain.

I'm tempted to link to pain4.jpg

Quigs

Magister
I played a super good char, and got the bounty hunter chick.

I played a super bad char ,and got the wookie.

How in balls do you get the disciple?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
jiujitsu, thanks for your review. I haven't played the game, but I generally like reading reader reviews :D

dunduks

Liturgist
Thanks for the heads up jiujitsu, I was getting worried becouse of the moronic reviews all over the web.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Well, yeah.. But who are you to criticize his (ab)use of the English language? I mean, a sentence is supposed to start with a capital letter and end with a dot, or something to that effect. Take a look at your own post and see if you can spot your errors. :)

callehe

Liturgist
Nice review Jiujitsu. What about the inconsistencies storyline that some reviewers speak of? aware of any?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom