Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Crusade Broken

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I bought King's Crusade a while ago on a steam sale and just fired it up the other day. It is based on the same engine as King Arthur and it gives me the chance to mow down muslims in the name of some dude from a fairy tale that I heard once so I decided to give it a try.

The first mission was great. I had to hold a port while my troops arrived and then take over a guard post and then build siege engines to take down the walls, storm the city and take it over. Very cool.

After the mission ended, it told me how many troops I had left and if any had gained levels. There are also these cool "traits" that units can get during battle. I figured that I was going to enjoy this game immensely.

Upon clicking the box to move on from the victory screen it told me that there was a C++ library error or something and it had to shut down.

A day later I tried it again and the same thing happened. I checked online and this is an issue that people have had since the game was released and neocore still has not fixed it. This game has been out for quite some time and there is a large group of people that bought the game that can't even play it past the first mission. I even have one of the DLCs and if the first mission is any indication I would have bought all of them and a sequel if the game would just work.

What. The. Fuck.

I couldn't find a workaround online. Has anyone here had this issue and know a way to work around it?

EG

Nullified
I never had an issue with the copy I downloaded from assuredly unscrupulous individuals (Windows 7 64x machine). Perhaps, since you've bought it, it might be worth looking into. It's a fun enough game, even if the radius available to archers was a bit on the small side.

You could try (if you haven't) reinstalling your 2005/2008 Visual C++ Redistributable; how ever that works with steam, I've no right idea. Its just a shot in the dark.

[Edit] though I think I had Data Execution Prevention and UAC disabled, as well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
With that error you can count on there being something going on with the C++ redistributable. Seems each game has its own and if it's not installed then it won't work. If the option appears to install it during the installation of the game then do it. Or just install the 2005/2008 Visual C++ Redistributable. Or go to the dev forum and see if anyone else mentions the problem and if not post about it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
EG said:
I never had an issue with the copy I downloaded from assuredly unscrupulous individuals (Windows 7 64x machine). Perhaps, since you've bought it, it might be worth looking into.

P much this, I guess. I bought the game, but still installed from a pirated copy because I'm allergic to Steam and had no problems other than the occasional CTD, but given the instability of the whole engine, that was to be expected.

It's a fun enough game, even if the radius available to archers was a bit on the small side.

That was probably done in order to address the biggest complaint of King Arthur - archers being the most retardedly overpowered unit in the game.

EG

Nullified
Darth Roxor said:
It's a fun enough game, even if the radius available to archers was a bit on the small side.
That was probably done in order to address the biggest complaint of King Arthur - archers being the most retardedly overpowered unit in the game.

Perhaps there's something I'm missing -- playing the first level of the Saracen campaign, it seems like the distance is only two units' depth, making them next to useless (beyond harassing your enemy and leading them into a trap.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
EG said:
Perhaps there's something I'm missing -- playing the first level of the Saracen campaign, it seems like the distance is only two units' depth, making them next to useless (beyond harassing your enemy and leading them into a trap.

Archers are mostly useful to quickly get rid of enemy light infantry and archers. I think they were also fairly effective against light cavalry, but I might be ronk. They are, however, pretty much completely useless against knights and heavy infantry. It's still very good to have them handy in case the enemy throws scytian or nubian infantry against you - those javelins are fucking nasty.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EG said:
Darth Roxor said:

This is very accurate tho - this is how archers were used.

You should try playing King Arthur to see the other end of this scale, where archers alone cand ecimate your armies...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom