Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us in 2024

The original is still capped at 30fps and 1080p on PS5, ugh. Fuckers could have upgraded it a bit. Ohwell, I'll still give it another shot.
I don't know what kind of CPU you need to get 60 FPS in KCD when a lot of NPCs are around but the one in PS5 probably ain't it. From what I read Dragon's Dogma 2 has same issue.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The horse ruled, you could trot away at an angle and shoot a whole gang of the toughest enemies to death with a bow. Unless you got stuck in a bush and they caught up to you.
Yeah the bow was about the only thing I felt they got right. Especially where they tutorial it as a hunt, it gave a practical reason to get good with the skill because you could make money from it and have a regular supply of food. Archery from horseback was a lot of fun, probably the most fun I had with the game besides stabby stabby loot henry. I needed more of a usecase for sword fighting because the game makes it rewarding to play the game more like a hit and run thug than a knight.

It's also supremely logical, peasants in tattered shirts are shit because there was no way for a peasant to learn swordfighting. Soldiers in chainmail are skilled but beatable with good training. And knights in full plates are the most dangerous... literally because it's their job to be good at fighting.
Hardest enemy in the game is a peasant with a polearm. Fucker will one shot you at level 20. Knights are easy, just poison your mace and clinch lock them over and over until they die (ie. Clinch, head bash, clinch, head bash over and over), that's how I beat the tournament first try on hardcore. For multiple knights, stay on horseback, hit em with some poison arrows, dismount and then bash their heads in one at a time using the same method.

Of course if you don't want to bother with any of that, sneak up on them and stabby stab.

Harthwain

Magister
But to say the system is flawless is being indenial.
Who said that?

You can appreciate something despite it being flawed. Hell, I even said I wasn't the big fan of combat as a whole (and I agreed it could use some improvements). But there is a difference between making reasonable changes to the imperfect system and saying it ought to be scrapped entirely. I don't think it is THAT bad, and it is an even worse suggestion if there isn't a good solution what to replace said system with, evenmoreso considering how developers intended combat to work in the first place.

thesecret1

Arcane
All I want from them is to unfuck the masterstrike and clinch cheese. Single-handedly ruined KCD1's combat.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Who said that?
a lot of KCD fans say that. The reply to any criticism is met with "well you just suck"
You can appreciate something despite it being flawed.
Of course I don't actually mind the system but I can clearly see it ain't working how it should which is why its more fun to go with any of the other options except for Longsword because its not working as intended. Short sword still sucks but at least you get a shield which makes up for it but why would I bother when I get the same from a Mace but with the ignore armor bonus. It really takes away from what you're supposed to be doing in the game according to the story. Of course though the polearm is the best weapon in the game and hilariously op.

Hmm this gives me an idea for a playthrough. What if I play Henry as a pure caveman, he can only use big metal bashing stick, hmm could be fun.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The horse ruled, you could trot away at an angle and shoot a whole gang of the toughest enemies to death with a bow. Unless you got stuck in a bush and they caught up to you.
In a more ethnically diverse KCD this would be known as "the horse drive-by". A missed opportunity.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What I recall about the perks in the first game is they were too easy to max out. Most of your stats capped without any real effort, making endgame Henry always the same.

If they are bringing back the combat system I hope they map each attack direction to buttons. It's just too imprecise and clunky to react to near-instant enemy attacks by waving the mouse around. They would probably have to make it four attack directions instead of five to make it controller compatible, but it should still work. Otherwise I'll just use the unbeatable "bonk/stab everyone in the face" strategy and ignore the combo system again.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
In a more ethnically diverse KCD this would be known as "the horse drive-by". A missed opportunity.
Drive bys are old news my friend, now our more ethnically diverse brothers pull up and hop out on feet for improved mobility while chasing an opp. Could work well with the new handgonne gameplay I heard about.

Machocruz

Arcane
Imagine thinking digital fictional characters being unpersoned is a problem. What charmed lives they must live if that's what disturbs them in this world.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Daniel Vávra interviewed by the Czech edition of Forbes.

https://forbes.cz/uspeje-kingdom-come-2-na-druhy-dil-mame-vic-lidi-i-penez-rika-daniel-vavra/

Your colleague Martin Frývaldský said that keeping silent about the development of the second part was not easy for you. How did you fight it?

Mainly, it was annoying for me that we did interesting things that could be promoted well, and we did it that way in the first part. For example, we filmed with interesting actors, we have videos of it, and if we did it like back then, we would release it on the Internet and it could get a lot of views.

On the other hand, people would probably be upset if they watched videos for four years and the game still didn't come out. It's double-edged sword, but the decision was made not to announce it earlier.

How did you approach the concept of the second volume?

We looked at what worked and what didn't. We told ourselves that we would improve something, and halfway through we found out that it was actually impossible to improve, that we wouldn't be able to do it, that it would be too demanding. We put our goals on paper and fine-tuned the concept of where it would go for maybe half a year.

So what is the concept?

The outline of the story was actually given, it was invented from the beginning, but I can't talk about it now. It is also due to historical circumstances that somehow turned out and we take them into account. So it's coming to them and now it's just a matter of how it happens.

And in terms of game mechanics, we have some combat system that we wanted to improve. We have things that we didn't make it into the first part, so we're adding them there. We found out that something wasn't quite fun or could have been better.

That's pretty general. Can you be more specific about something?

For example, we had a complex clothing system for the protagonist. And we've improved it significantly in the sense that now you can make sets of clothes, like three different outfits that you can change into with one click.

If I want to impress someone, I'll take an outfit like some charismatic speaker with one click. And I don't have to walk like a knight all the time. It took some time to get dressed in the first game, so people didn't take advantage of the features that different outfits gave them. So we edited it. Seemingly small, but in reality there was a lot of work behind it.

So why wait six years to announce a new game?

We worked on the expansions of the first part, it took us about a year. And then there was the technological problem – new consoles came out. So you have to make a technological change that took more time than any of us expected.

And besides, the game is big and there is a lot of work behind it. Everyone was working on it the whole time. It's not like we take time off and don't give it much. We started development on July 1, 2019, so it's been five years. Almost.

You developed the first part as a start-up studio, now you have over two hundred employees and a large publisher, Embracer, who bought you out. How is development different?

We have more people and more money. It is the basis of. But we still dealt with the problem of lack of people. There aren't many people here who have experience with something like this. So it's very hard to get someone.

In the second part, there is supposed to be a big city, an even more reactive world, crossbows and early firearms... What are you proud of that you managed in the second part?

There are a lot more actors, more better actors. They have better faces, better animated. We were developing our own system just for facial animation. We needed to make five hours of film and hundreds of hours of dialogue, and we wanted it to not look bad in either part. And that's where the upgrade is significant.

Have you developed with less nervousness when you have the success of a number one and a strong publisher?

One has some sort of fan base after six years and six million copies sold. It's probably a pretty good starting position. On the other hand, the world is such that, for example, Ubisoft (a large French development company, editor's note) gets a lot of trouble because the special edition of their game from the Star Wars world is too expensive.

Market can be hard to read. Some games are actually good but get a lot of smoke for doing something wrong or monetizing something that shouldn't be monetized.

After all, you have your own experience with it. The first installment of Kingdom Come caught criticism for not having any black people in it. What about part two?

We can't talk about that yet.

For many people, number one was also too complicated. How will the second part be?

A lot of people claim that we are some kind of hardcore simulation where they go somewhere, take a wrong turn and suddenly someone shoots them. It may happen that you go somewhere in the forest and you are ambushed by a bunch of bandits. Going against them alone probably won't go well, but you can escape.

Or you have to sleep and eat…

Oh well, but if you don't, you'll just be sleepy or hungry, nothing terrible happens.

Yes, but this is not usually the case in games. Will the two be more user-friendly?

Already in number one, you didn't have to solve a lot of things if you didn't want to. Two will be more accommodating, but not at the cost of our complexity.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Summaration job for the Czech codexians here:

Google translate said:
All about Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 with Lead Game Designer - PVP

Prokop Jirsa is the lead designer on the upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2, which came to Warhorse Studios ten years ago, before the original Kickstarter campaign was launched.

So we think he's the perfect interview candidate to tell us about all the upcoming news that awaits us in the sequel to the popular medieval role-playing game.

EDIT: Someone already did it: https://old.reddit.com/r/kingdomcom...ech_gaming_magazine_indian_made_an_interview/

• a part when Prokop is asked about comparison to Baldurs Gate III, just praising it basically :D

BAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD BASSSEEEDDDD!!!

Haters mad!!!!

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I don't know what kind of CPU you need to get 60 FPS in KCD when a lot of NPCs are around but the one in PS5 probably ain't it.
its a ryzen 3600 and it could easily do 60fps 1440p in traversal and probably 50ish in rattay. 4k doable if you count temporal upscaling, but the game doesn't have it and doubt they'd bother to implement it.
dd2 is just optimized like garbage so it's not a worthwhile comparison at all. look at witcher 3, that runs at 50-60 in novigrad and doesn't have 2 meter distance NPC pop in like dd2.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
No idea what DD2 NPCs are like but most of the Witcher ones are just empty shells with no AI or routines burdening your CPU. It's makes almost no difference if there are two of them or two thousand, they're just lamp-posts.
no, even lamp-post NPCs have CPU burden because of additional draw calls, pathing, RAM use, shadows, etc. but DD2 NPC pop in is legitimately insane with how short it is. they manifest right in front of the player and you still get under 30 fps in the main city. oblivion on 360 could have a dozen NPCs with far more complex AI in the same area, all rendered, and that held up okay.
now sure, oblivion was very segmented since there was only 512mb of RAM to work with and it had to run on 2005 hardware, but dd2 legitimately has no excuse. they made a bad decision on what engine to build the game around, they couldn't manage to wrangle it to work well, so it just works badly instead. there is literally no technical excuse whatsoever.

I don't know what kind of CPU you need to get 60 FPS in KCD when a lot of NPCs are around but the one in PS5 probably ain't it.
its a ryzen 3600 and it could easily do 60fps 1440p in traversal and probably 50ish in rattay.
Ryzen 3600 that much faster than my i5-8400? Cause I got drops well below 50 in Rattay while having a comfortable 60 outside. It could go as low as 35 and it felt pretty jarring. Those parts with mass battles were awful too.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Ryzen 3600 that much faster than my i5-8400? Cause I got drops well below 50 in Rattay while having a comfortable 60 outside. It could go as low as 35 and it felt pretty jarring.
it's not that much faster in pure clockspeed terms, but with how much more cache it has it should easily smooth out a lot of those stutters, yeah. i'm sure it'd drop to probably 40 from time to time in rattay but that would just be KCD being KCD.

Wasteland

Novice
its a ryzen 3600 and it could easily do 60fps 1440p in traversal and probably 50ish in rattay.
Ryzen 3600 that much faster than my i5-8400? Cause I got drops well below 50 in Rattay while having a comfortable 60 outside. It could go as low as 35 and it felt pretty jarring.
It might depend on when you played, too. I played through KCD about two years after it launched, on a Ryzen 3600x, and noticed no problems with frame rate. I can't elaborate on that claim now, because I've long since upgraded my hardware, but I do remember being surprised at how well the game performed, at the time, given all of the complaints I'd read prior. All I can think is that the game must've received significant optimization patches.

Based on a brief search, your CPU should perform more or less on par with the Ryzen 3600 in games, all else being equal.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Did they add black people this time? :hmmm:

After the original medieval RPG courted controversy over historical accuracy, Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 will feature "a wide range of ethnicities"

The 2018 medieval action RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance is getting a follow-up this year that promises to be twice the size of the original game, hinting at a bigger map, more features, and a greater number of quests. While the original courted controversy over depicting a recreation of 15th Century Bohemia devoid of people of color due to 'historical accuracy,' Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2's grander scope means "a wide range of ethnicities."

Responding to a question from IGN over whether developer Warhorse Studio's "debated" philosophy on historical accuracy has changed, spokesperson Tobias Stolz-Zwilling says the following:

"Debated" philosophy on historical accuracy.

I hate those people with the passion of a thousand suns, and i still think it's not fucking enough.
Shaniqua is coming!!!!!!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hopefully it doesn't have the same shit combat and balancing issues the original had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom