Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance II - Henry's coming to see us in 2024

ferratilis

Magister
Wasn't there a developer from Warhorse who left the company and moved to Larian? He was active here on Codex. I wonder how he feels now. He left the cool kids table and joined the deviants. :lol:

In this game, can I charge at enemies in horseback and impale them with a spear? I loved doing it in M&B.

You can get really drunk, and charge at enemies women of questionable upbringing on foot and impale them with your other spear. You will love doing it in KCD2.

Paul_cz

Arcane
If you mean Smejki, he was a full-blown SJW libtard. He's probably happier at Larian
That's just not true. Sure he is not your garden variety codex edgelord who loves throwing slurs around, but he is still extremely far from the westoid far left morons of resetera ilk.

So, RPGCodex GOTY 2024?
We can't let weeabo shit like Dragon's Dogma 2: Microtransactions Edition win 2024, can we?
The Codex's GotY 2024 will be an Open World Action RPG sequel, the only question is whether it will be Dragon's Dogma 2 or Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2. :M

That's only a question for you, and your 80 IQ points. To quote the famous youtuber Scotsman, Dragon's Dildo 2 is an "Infestation of Filth", and if KCD2 ain't the greatest thing since sliced bread, Belgium will pay!

Citations:

thesecret1

Arcane
If you mean Smejki, he was a full-blown SJW libtard. He's probably happier at Larian
That's just not true. Sure he is not your garden variety codex edgelord who loves throwing slurs around, but he is still extremely far from the westoid far left morons of resetera ilk.
It's the way I remember him from the scant few interactions I've had with him. IIRC he even put me on ignore after some fairly benign talk about woke shit (which seemed to make him butthurt).

thesecret1

Arcane
the story will provide an ending to Henry's story (finally, yay!)
What the dude actually said was "You will get to see the end. And that's all I'll say." That it's an ending to Henry's story is an understandable assumption, but not actually something that was said outright.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
- if you look intimidating and commit crimes, regular townspeople will run away. If you look like a little bitch, even the average joes will come kick your teeth in (though likely not if they like you due to you having a high reputation with them)
this seems like you could exploit it easily, have Henry dressed up like a peasant but his unarmed combat skill is through the roof. I mean Bandit farming in the first game was economy breaking, this sounds even worse. That was always my biggest issue with KCD because you could flood the market and there was no repercussion for doing it to the extent that money became useless.

the idea behind KCD (the series) is to combine a cinematic story with open world systems. KCD2 will offer more more open world options, but still the same "linerarity" in terms of story as in KCD1. "We are not making an immersive sim. We're not making Kenshi."
Kind of a shit take there. Kenshi is fantastic and making an ImSim is not a negative its a positive. I read this as, we're still continuing to make that Bethesda style shlock but we're not Bethesda so it won't be shit.
But yeah not cool them shitting on Kenshi like that, I like Kenshi.
  • the combat system should be more accessible for those not willing to learn all the in depth mechanics, yet you will be still able to master all it's mechnics and features as you could in the first game (more like a polish than making it more casual)
  • for example they analysed the original "star with dot" system, saw that many people had trouble with having five of them, so there will be now ONLY 4 positions (up, down, left, right and center I guess) and they decided to make more combo opportunities instead for you to master -> that should make combat more clear, yet give you still enough toys to play with and feel like a medieval combat master
Honestly this sounds more like they're doubling down on a design that absolutely failed in the first game. I would have instead changed it so that the initial attack direction is automatic with the player then able to focus on executing combos and counters. Its that clunky locking on aspect that doesn't work, if it did the first step automatically then there'd be no problem. But really there's no point even in executing master strikes and combos because you can just rush them, stun lock them by mashing the F key and then one shot dispatching them with an overhead strike. Better yet you can avoid combat entirely just by sneaking and knifing them in the back.

If people are avoiding your system it means your system fails, no amount of simplification will fix that fact. Plus the player shouldn't have to spend 20+ hours game time grinding sword stats just to be able to enjoy the combat in the game.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Wasn't there a developer from Warhorse who left the company and moved to Larian? He was active here on Codex. I wonder how he feels now. He left the cool kids table and joined the deviants. :lol:
I'm good and happy, thanks for asking. Happy that I got to choose between these 2 great options. Happy that Warhorse nailed this reveal, that KCD2 looks fukken awesome, and from everything I know seems to be on good track. Happy that Warhorse still enjoys creative freedom and that the actual key and competent people still remain at the helm(s). Happy that we've remained close friends. Happy that Larian has "infinite" money and can continue being independent. The only thing I'm unhappy about is Belgian bureaucracy.

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly this sounds more like they're doubling down on a design that absolutely failed in the first game. [...] If people are avoiding your system it means your system fails, no amount of simplification will fix that fact.
While I disliked how combat worked in the first game, it was indeed due to the fact it was very tricky to get "upper left" and "upper right" on-the-fly for me (especially for a feint). At the same time I had no problem playing games like Chivalry or Mordhau (which are fairly complex in terms of directions as well). With a simpler directions combat could be much better.

Plus the player shouldn't have to spend 20+ hours game time grinding sword stats just to be able to enjoy the combat in the game.
:shunthenonbeliever:

Found the agent of Decline!

Hard disagree here. Not being able to master combat because your character himself is shit at - due to his own stats being low - is the staple of any true RPG. Not only it serves as a way to progress from novice to master, in this particular instance it also helps the player to get better at controlling his weapons with time. This is how action RPGs should work. If some people can't sacrifice a few hours for that, then maybe RPGs aren't for them and they should stick to action games where RPG part serves as cosmetics or ups the numbers only.

Quillon

Arcane
"Naturally, in a place like this, people can expect a wide range of ethnicities and different characters that Henry will meet on his journey."

it's woke
that-is-brand-new-information-friends.gif

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Honestly this sounds more like they're doubling down on a design that absolutely failed in the first game. [...] If people are avoiding your system it means your system fails, no amount of simplification will fix that fact.
While I disliked how combat worked in the first game, it was indeed due to the fact it was very tricky to get "upper left" and "upper right" on-the-fly for me (especially for a feint). At the same time I had no problem playing games like Chivalry or Mordhau (which are fairly complex in terms of directions as well). With a simpler directions combat could be much better.

Plus the player shouldn't have to spend 20+ hours game time grinding sword stats just to be able to enjoy the combat in the game.
:shunthenonbeliever:

Found the agent of Decline!

Hard disagree here. Not being able to master combat because your character himself is shit at - due to his own stats being low - is the staple of any true RPG. Not only it serves as a way to progress from novice to master, in this particular instance it also helps the player to get better at controlling his weapons with time. This is how action RPGs should work. If some people can't sacrifice a few hours for that, then maybe RPGs aren't for them and they should stick to action games where RPG part serves as cosmetics or ups the numbers only.

RPGs can work in many ways, but KCD is not just your average RPG, it's also a simulation.

It SHOULD take a long time to master your skills because it would take a long time for Henry himself to master said skills. Hell, on my next playthrough i'm even going to use a mod that halves XP gain (on Hard Core, mind you) just to push that feeling of progression even more and prevent the game from becoming piss easy too soon.

BTW, i never had an issue with the combat in this game, not if we are talking about 1 vs 1. Only fights with multiple opponents i felt could have been done differently, though again, in real life i doubt anyone could really fend off multiple opponents with ease. That shit only works in the movies where enemies always attack the protagonist one by one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"Naturally, in a place like this, people can expect a wide range of ethnicities and different characters that Henry will meet on his journey."

it's woke

I have a feeling Vavra is going to troll them by having European ethnicies. We'll see i guess.

Trailer has zero wokeness in it which is a good sign.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
it also helps the player to get better at controlling his weapons with time. This is how action RPGs should work. If some people can't sacrifice a few hours for that, then maybe RPGs aren't for them and they should stick to action games where RPG part serves as cosmetics or ups the numbers only.
Fascinating stuff. Didn't gothic 1 and 2 work the same way with the PC getting higher stats and faster animations and animation changes to not only attack and defend faster but also to respond to player commands faster as well? It also didn't take hours for that to happen.
I'm not against the idea but it shouldn't take dozens for hours for this.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The original is still capped at 30fps and 1080p on PS5, ugh. Fuckers could have upgraded it a bit. Ohwell, I'll still give it another shot.
You got 30 fps because you dared to play on a fucking console, offending God himself.

I got 30 fps at best, in some cases, because I played it like God ordained, on an old ass PC that simply couldn't do any better.

We_Are_Not_the_Same.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom