Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale + Legion IX standalone expansion - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Would be nice if they released this on GOG. I'd pay full price for a DRM free version on GOG over a sale priced one on Steam.

I know that may be controversial, but I'm suprised GOG hasn't gone down that route yet.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Can someone who is better versed in the game explain to me in layman's terms how good/significant this patch is. 60% off is a hefty sale and I'm considering the purchase.

Harthwain

Magister
Can someone who is better versed in the game explain to me in layman's terms how good/significant this patch is. 60% off is a hefty sale and I'm considering the purchase.
Doesn't really matter how good the patch is. The base game alone is worth that price. And I say that as a guy who bought it at full price. This game is just this good.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is a really good game that worth its full price no matter what.
Patch is mostly balance changes, they buffed marksmen a lot (can't say for sure if they will be viable in late game, damage wasn't the problem.) and changed how bosses work. Bosses now deal less damage (some less than half) but can endure much more and have shorter cooldowns for their activities.
Also some seasonel event for end game stuff but main campaign is long and satisfiying enough.

Parabalus

Arcane
Wonder how much harder the game is given the patch notes are mostly nerfs.

Barring stuff like the infinite kill chains, many other things got hit too.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just got this on sale, and I must say, the cinematic intro is one of the best I've ever seen for any videogame. Apart from the ubiquitous and rather lamentable spikey shoulderpads, the aesthetics and attention to detail are great, but most importantly, it's one of the best renditions of "magic looking real" I've ever seen - like the ice stuff, the lightning magic, the nature magic, etc., it's just tremendously well done. (I'm presuming it's by Neocore themselves, but if it's some other studio I'd like to know who they are.)

Only just started the game proper but it's feeling pretty solid so far. I like the mixture of point-and-click and WASD - it's incredibly intuitive and since getting the WASD mod for BG3, which plays similarly, I now think this movement system should be the standard for top down free-camera games.

.Pixote.

Augur
Vanguard Heroes are the most lethal in battle, the invisibility skill with the backstab is almost a one hit kill on everything except the toughest opponents. With their extra movement, and sneaking into the enemy's' rear Vanguard Heroes can wipe the entire floor.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Atmosphere and combat are top notch.

It's also low key got some of best of the nuXCOM management pacing. It's not that the management is particularly deep, it's just very evocative and every upgrade feels like you worked pretty hard for it and got something impactful. Especially early-game and early midgame where you will be struggling on the hardest difficulty, there's always a ton of hard options facing you when you return from a mission.

Parabalus

Arcane
Atmosphere and combat are top notch.

It's also low key got some of best of the nuXCOM management pacing. It's not that the management is particularly deep, it's just very evocative and every upgrade feels like you worked pretty hard for it and got something impactful
Yes, they did that part very well.

At first look there's not much to it, and there are a lot of Dumpsterfire-style +- 10% options, but they often feel like the light an the end of a tunnel.

covr

Prophet
Patron
It runs ok on SD. Surprisingly first tutorial area was a bit laggy, but it got better.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's quite deceptive this game, in that it seems ultra simple to start with, and at first you think it's going to be too barebones to get your teeth into, plus it's missing out on some conventions you're used to, and has restrictions you aren't used to. But you soon realize that both the convention-avoidances and the restrictions have been quite carefully thought out to produce a total effect that, while indeed quite lean in some ways, is for that very reason kinetic, engaging and moreish. It's kind of old school in that way, without any great aspirations to simulation (something I normally wouldn't like, as a simulationfag), focused more on the tactical encounters, builds and resource management, but with enough story integument to give a background sense of being in the virtual world depicted, and enough rpg flavour to keep it from being just a barebones tactical game.

Also, on the story side of things, at first you think it's going to be quite dull, but the quests and scenarios turn out to be quite different, with a strongly handcrafted feel, and soon build up to weave a story that's engaging enough, with the VO not being particularly stellar, but good enough to keep up the illusion (also the dialogues are occasionally amusing - I love the MC's often acerbic, grumpy responses :) ).

I like the way armor, vitality and hp are balanced, and the gear progression, even at early levels, is satisfying - one never feels overburdened with worry about what to hoard or sell and those kinds of decisions can be made qauite briskly. The management side, on the other hand, has a bit more meat to to it, with the upgrades being hefty enough in cost to warrant some careful pondering.

Tactically, it's not hugely innovative, but it's well put together. I always like it when games have facing (it was one of the good things about Nahuelbeuk).

It definitely passes the acid test of addictiveness - I've been finding myself coming up for air quite often and wondering where the time has gone :)

covr

Prophet
Patron
Oh, the difficulty can be changed mid-game? That's nice.
FFS, I am too dumb to learn how to change difficulty lvl. There's no such option on the world map screen, cannot do this during mission. I must have been missing something.
Playing on roguelite default mode, so it is probably moderate or hard. But I am currently lvl 5 with all my characters and there was not a single time I've lost any of my companions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom