Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"I like C&C in RPGs, unless it's about actual choices with gameplay consequences
The spots for the Round Table should be free. It's not like you gain much from that alone, gameplay-wise. You still have to take knights with you on missions or put them in the Training Grounds, which also means committing limited resources there (to open more spots and to train them). But, hey, let's pretend like it's a good idea, because some idiots think it's some sort of C&C™ when you're pretty much forced to dump resources just to keep your knights relevant in the game.
"I need to have every single companion, every item, and be able to access every piece of content in a single playthrough otherwise I'll cry"

You consistently favour every single line of thought that led to the decline of modern RPGs. No wonder you're a Disco fanboy.

Devs limited knights you can have on purpose, this is also why the game has a morality chart that gives unique knights for different alignments, the systems work together to force you to make decisions and commit to a specific playstyle on a playthrough. This is a fundamental design decision which the whole game is built around.
One of the issues is that you have no information on the potential build for the knight when making the decision, as 2/3rd of the tree are masked away.

Shaki

Arbiter
"I like C&C in RPGs, unless it's about actual choices with gameplay consequences
The spots for the Round Table should be free. It's not like you gain much from that alone, gameplay-wise. You still have to take knights with you on missions or put them in the Training Grounds, which also means committing limited resources there (to open more spots and to train them). But, hey, let's pretend like it's a good idea, because some idiots think it's some sort of C&C™ when you're pretty much forced to dump resources just to keep your knights relevant in the game.
"I need to have every single companion, every item, and be able to access every piece of content in a single playthrough otherwise I'll cry"

You consistently favour every single line of thought that led to the decline of modern RPGs. No wonder you're a Disco fanboy.

Devs limited knights you can have on purpose, this is also why the game has a morality chart that gives unique knights for different alignments, the systems work together to force you to make decisions and commit to a specific playstyle on a playthrough. This is a fundamental design decision which the whole game is built around.
One of the issues is that you have no information on the potential build for the knight when making the decision, as 2/3rd of the tree are masked away.
For you it's an issue, for me it's a good design, making hard choices with imperfect information, then having to improvise with whatever you'll get in the rest of the talent tree, is fun. This type of game tend to get incredibly easy and boring if you have perfect information. In my opinion, if someone wants to destroy the game for himself, they can just go read a guide that will tell them which knight to get, what skills to pick, and which items for their builds can be picked where, to have an unstoppable build which will trivialize everything. But devs tend to hide a lot of info and force you to make some permanent decisions before you know what is the best way to instawin the game, for a pretty good reason.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, but at least you can "fix them". Particularly Merlin, just pimp him out and he's good.
Yes, but early on you won't have enough stuff to fix him up so he will hate your guts for being poor peasant.

The hardest biatch to please is Boudicea.
She's neutral and cares neither for what you do, nor for court titles.
True. I'd say she one of the prime candidates for the trait removal. That way you can at least add some loyalty to her that way. In general neutral knights rely heavily on loyalty giving items and events.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
True. I'd say she one of the prime candidates for the trait removal. That way you can at least add some loyalty to her that way. In general neutral knights rely heavily on loyalty giving items and events.

Tfw I forgot Kay, who is my primary champ, has that 'stubborn' shit and I took him on 3 missions when he was under 100% vitality and now he has a permanent loyalty penalty of 3 and there's just about no way to increase it for him at this point so I guess he'll be stuck with a total of 6 till the end of the game lol.

Also, I don't know how the marksmens worked before when they were supposedly underperforming, but my Dindraine is a killing machine that can rival Tegyr. She can now do the basic shot 4 times a turn, instakills anything that goes <10% hp and her aimed shots can do even 100 armour ignoring damage. It's satisfying as hell to open every fight with those dirty dumb pictish scum by instantly deleting their chieftain/chosen/moon-moon-woman on first move.

(she was also MVP by far in the fight against Morgawse which I just won, pretty nice meatgrinder all in all)

I'm having quite a bit of fun taking weirdo B-team comps into action too. Another time I took Dindraine + Ector + Tegyr + Brunor as the sole meatshield, though frankly I could have just as well swapped Brunor for another ranged guy or maybe Leodegrance, because nobody could even get close to me through the wall of bear traps, slowing hex, knockbacks and rapid fire arrows. Hilarious.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Game progression is decent after 2.0 patch, with my sub-optimal builds and random knight choices for side missions (e.g. 2 casters + 2 archers, it was fun!). I'm doing 15 lvl missions and some of them were actually difficult, I had to use shrines and rest spots to survive. It might be the best tactical fantasy game I have ever played. Not that there were many.

Cael

Arcane
also guinevere -3 loyalty because she's 'disloyal' lmao what a whore
Wait until you see Merlin. He's one disloyal greedy bastard.
Yeah, but at least you can "fix them". Particularly Merlin, just pimp him out and he's good.
The hardest biatch to please is Boudicea.
She's neutral and cares neither for what you do, nor for court titles.

And she's the only best vanguard available for Righteous/Cthulhu.
Bedievere lacks the central vanguard skill and Tegyr-bro does not like it very much when you burn down churches and build cthulhu idols.
Tristan. Once you get that final tier of skills, he is technically better than the rest. But he is sub-par until then.

Harthwain

Magister
Tfw I forgot Kay, who is my primary champ, has that 'stubborn' shit and I took him on 3 missions when he was under 100% vitality and now he has a permanent loyalty penalty of 3 and there's just about no way to increase it for him at this point so I guess he'll be stuck with a total of 6 till the end of the game lol.
You can fix it with a "Tome of Forgiveness", I think.

Cael

Arcane
You can fix it with a "Tome of Forgiveness", I think.
The item description says only event -ve?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wanted to say that every mission briefing should end with:

maxresdefault.jpg

"As always, kill Hitler King Arthur", but now I feel it should be "KILL SIR TEWELYN".

WILL THAT FAGET STOP COMING BACK.

Harthwain

Magister
"As always, kill Hitler King Arthur", but now I feel it should be "KILL SIR TEWELYN".

WILL THAT FAGET STOP COMING BACK.
He's the cartoon villain of the game that keeps coming back no matter what only to have his next plot thwarted by heroes. It's kind of funny to be honest.

He will stop coming back after 5th time, if I recall correctly (or it could be 4th).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
202312301226471.jpg

All in a day's work! :hero:

this faget was pretty stronk

Edit: just when you thought the dirty dumb heathen scum were bad enough, out come the dirty dumb elven scum

also first this game cockteases me with percivale, then with gawain, i can't live like this

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
202312301226471.jpg

All in a day's work! :hero:

this faget was pretty stronk

Edit: just when you thought the dirty dumb heathen scum were bad enough, out come the dirty dumb elven scum

also first this game cockteases me with percivale, then with gawain, i can't live like this
:hahyou:

LoL you got messed up that hard on the fish king,you are gona get raped bro.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
This game is very good, a bit underrated on the Codex I would even say, even though it being voted third best of 2022. Having a blast with it right now.
They will have to sell me a bit on the wole ancient Rome angle though, I don't see it fit with Arthurian legend.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This game is very good, a bit underrated on the Codex I would even say, even though it being voted third best of 2022. Having a blast with it right now.
They will have to sell me a bit on the wole ancient Rome angle though, I don't see it fit with Arthurian legend.

The two are intertwined in most tellings

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The two are intertwined in most tellings
Like the one with Clive Owen in it.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Tiberius
Ah, yes. Or as google images would have it, the red head anime boy.
gslmirX.png

I know I shouldn't expect much from anime, much less from Fate garbage, but couldn't they have at least tried to incorporate some roman motifs into his armor?

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Tiberius
Ah, yes. Or as google images would have it, the red head anime boy.
gslmirX.png

I know I shouldn't expect much from anime, much less from Fate garbage, but couldn't they have at least tried to incorporate some roman things into his armor?
he's white? white. so animu is already more accurate than most western sources.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
with Sir Balin doing like 600 or something damage a turn to the Green Knight, I feel like this game no longer has anything to surprise me with and there's still one chapter to go :M

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Haven't completed the game. Trying a good, Christian run without Sir Balin. Making a beeline with all choices. Having said that I think the game would have played better if you could somehow gather the strongest knights to your round table. I get the impression that's what Mordred had in mind. Plus I'm not sure I have the time in RL to play the game a minimum of 4 times.

Making the Green Knight an enemy is kind of a disapointment though. I thought they would have gone: White Knight/Black Knight = good & villian Christian. And Green/Red Knight = good and evil Pagan. Also a bit disapointed they prevented savegame editing. I was gonna play it legit at least once, but it seems a bit "My game, my rules" of them. Like that Jewish family member at Christmas at the monopoly board.

CoronerZg

Augur
Also a bit disapointed they prevented savegame editing. I was gonna play it legit at least once, but it seems a bit "My game, my rules" of them. Like that Jewish family member at Christmas at the monopoly board.
What did they prevent? I'm just doing a new run and I've added some gems (using text editor to edit my save file) so I can test the new Forge mechanic. And to be honest,
it's pretty dumb mechanic... cause items you upgrade (increase level or increase rarity) don't really get upgraded but instead you get new item with completely different properties.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Haven't completed the game. Trying a good, Christian run without Sir Balin. Making a beeline with all choices. Having said that I think the game would have played better if you could somehow gather the strongest knights to your round table. I get the impression that's what Mordred had in mind. Plus I'm not sure I have the time in RL to play the game a minimum of 4 times.

Making the Green Knight an enemy is kind of a disapointment though. I thought they would have gone: White Knight/Black Knight = good & villian Christian. And Green/Red Knight = good and evil Pagan. Also a bit disapointed they prevented savegame editing. I was gonna play it legit at least once, but it seems a bit "My game, my rules" of them. Like that Jewish family member at Christmas at the monopoly board.
I did some editing actually, but it was pretty tricky. You kind of had to make sure some totals remained the same. I think you could edit gold if you kept the same number of digits for instance, or something like that (you could also "transfer" wounds from one knight to another).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom