Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Kickstarter hacked.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Very good point. Still a cool thing to see.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Awesome hack method with the microphone. Makes all encryption efforts of the last 10 years useless :p. Maybe next time we buy computers we'll get special "voltage mixers" included so it randomly mashes the signals and the power drawn from the supply whenever password and encryption actions take place.
Only if they can actually put a microphone a few meters from your PC. A camera pointed at the keyboard as you type the password will do the same :)
You don't even need a camera. Van Eck radiation is an eavesdropper's best friend:
http://hackaday.com/2008/10/20/eavesdrop-on-keyboards-wirelessly/
http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2007/04/seeing-through-walls.html
Now enjoy going through the 5 stages of grief before you accept that the only way of staying safe is inside a nuclear bunker.

Awesome hack method with the microphone. Makes all encryption efforts of the last 10 years useless :p. Maybe next time we buy computers we'll get special "voltage mixers" included so it randomly mashes the signals and the power drawn from the supply whenever password and encryption actions take place.
Only if they can actually put a microphone a few meters from your PC. A camera pointed at the keyboard as you type the password will do the same :)

Every speaker is also a microphone. If you have sound coming out of your rig, whether through speakers or headset or a mobile phone in your pocket, that's an accessible microphone.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You don't even need a camera. Van Eck radiation is an eavesdropper's best friend:
Now enjoy going through the 5 stages of grief before you accept that the only way of staying safe is inside a nuclear bunker.
Hehe, I do actually have some experience working on computers inside nuclear bunkers, and even then they had extra shielding to prevent eavesdropping. :)

Kz3r0

Arcane
First used by the Soviets, on a side note this is also the reason why passwords are replaced by asterisks on screen.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Didn't they just try to access your Steam account? But they couldn't log in, since they would have had to use your email. I don't think they hacked you.

Maybe you're right, but I suspect they did manage to log on to the account without email confirmation, though fortunately they couldn't actually do anything with it other than browse my games list. Someone did, however, access my paypal on the same day, which was another dead end in terms of valuables. Unpleasant business all around.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus christ, good thing I decided to change my passwords afterall.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
You shouldn't wait for decoupling your passwords, because when one Adobe or Kickstarter goes public about having been compromised, how many small sites have their DBs leeched and don't even know about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom