Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KC calls in sick Tomorrow

Fez

Erudite
It's a competitive world for FPS rigs. A far cry from what most people here will need to run ten year old games and the odd indie title.

I hope you've got that rig OC'd. The 7900 has a reputation for being able to handle it well too.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I hope you've got that rig OC'd. The 7900 has a reputation for being able to handle it well too.

Pencil modded. Not sure Dwarf Fortress really needs the 15% boost in FPS though.

Fez

Erudite
Well maybe you'll make an epic enough fortress to slow it down enough to need it one day.:lol:

I've had the same thing happen where I've been playing games like DF or old classics for the most part. Still nice to be able to try modern games like Gothic 3 though and if you have to justify it to the other half you can always claim you really do need it for "faster browsing and internet" like the adverts always claim.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Fez said:
Well maybe you'll make an epic enough fortress to slow it down enough

DF actually includes a FPS counter. My friend gets 301 fps, and I get 300 fps. I might have to buy a water cooling kit. :(

if you have to justify it to the other half you can always claim you really do need it for "faster browsing and internet"

I work professionally with 3D graphics, so it is..technically..for.."work".

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Okay, CTRL+Alt+Right-Click is Attack in Formation. That makes things better.

I don't think I ever used Peewees anywhere besides early game harassing :) They die instantly and their wreckage presents a horrible pathing problem for the rest of my units. But I do agree about the balance here. I kinda hate that it takes 3 minutes to upgrade a single factory. Unless you build like a dozen factories its hard to keep up with production.

The level 2 tanks completely outclass everything below it, but when they ran up against an AI level 3 kbot it took like a minute of concentrated fire to take down. That's kinda lame. It's not even rock paper scissors.

Like I said, the more I play it the more I like it, but when I get tired of it I go back and play the game I've been playing for like 10 years (Starcraft).

I've figured out how to use aircraft correctly. I'm wondering what the point of frigates are. Submarines > frigates, AND they can surface and shoot lasers at ground units, so what is the point? They build 30 second faster?
And ships are the one exception to the balance rule. It takes too fucking long to build anything but level 1 ships. I can have like 4 subs for every destroyer.

edit- By the way, I did stay home sick today, but it was because of vomit and migrane. I spent most of my time playing Shudder in Bed. Antacid tablets are angels sent by god.

Fez

Erudite
Blackhart has made many people play "Shudder in Bed" over the years.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Alright I just found out a few things which have alleviated my complaints a little bit. First of all, you can assist building upgrades, which is great.

I finally got a battleship. According to the thing, they take half an hour to build (!) but with the commander and a few bots helping it only took about five minutes each. Those things are insane. I had a single cruiser and a couple subs for protection but it didn't need it, it can shoot halfway across the map and kill everything instantly. Jesus Christ. Theres a bug where the rear turret won't fire, but that's okay.

Like I said, the game gets more fun as you play it and figure out the UI.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I think you can still press CTRL+N to rename those bigger units. :) Always fun to see something funny approaching. Also convenient to rename SCU's to your ACU name, opposing players won't know the difference right away.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
After playing it some more I'm really starting to like the game. Once you figure out the UI you can do some really cool stuff. I was messing around, getting tech level 3 stuff. That Big Bertha cannon is cool.

Those level 3 artillery tanks are amazing. They seem like they do more damage than battleships do. Maybe just because they get a cool effect whlie the battleship doesn't.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I have uninstalled the demo already but there are some tweaks for people who still have it to try some things out, like another type of AI: http://garage.gaspowered.com/?q=node/8909#comment-83542

There is also a possibility to play with the other races in skirmish, but if you don't have the units.scd file of the 5.3 beta, the Aeon and UEF sides will be limited in the demo (in the campaign you can try to play with them too by capturing factories or engineers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom