Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JA 2 Roguelike?

circ

Arcane
Just browsing through some new ones and I didn't know it had gotten to the point where there's now a Privateer roguelike (awesome!). Anyone ever see any strategy, specifically something similar to Jagged Alliance 1 or 2, roguelikes?

sah

Liturgist
How would that work? It would have to be a squad-based roguelike.

circ

Arcane
Graphically doing a remake of JA1 should be easy with ASCII. Roguelikes have been doing ranged combat well enough for ages, and making it turn and squad based seems simple. Areas with buildings and jungle in between seems simple too, with some tunnels and mines from JA2 thrown in. JA2 elevated planes combat I don't think is possible with ASCII, but other than that, things like chopper travel and cars from JA2 seems doable. Stealth from JA2 seems also hard to implement, but cover and camo, maybe not so. And nightops with line of sight distances and whatever also seems like a pain.

But other than that, a JA1-2 hybrid turn based, squad based roguelike seems easy enough to implent, and I'd be surprised if someone hasn't done something similar.

Destroid

Arcane
You could do elevation a la dwarf fortress, works fine when you only have a couple (2-4) planes of elevation, such as in UFO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom