Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IWD party ideas

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Bards are pretty kickass in IWD. Once they reach level 11 (I think) they get their final chant, which boosts party members armour class and make them regenerate. This is very efficient and it makes healing spells irrelevant, since you only need to win the fight (with the chant ON for better AC, or OFF if you want your bard to cast or act in any other way) and then wait a minute or two to get your health back.

The only downside is that level 11 is not reached early in the game, but play it on "hard" difficulty setting (it's not that hard really, if you know the game) and get 50% more XP on everything (combat and quests).

I've always thought druids sucked. Turning into a wolf ? You gotta be kidding me. As for their offensive spells, I'd rather have a mage, thank you very much.

Finally, I also recomend the "all dwarf party". Nothing like a bunch of hard hitting, blunt damaging little brutes to grind through the game.

elenai

Novice
Best is magic party
bard
mage/thief
mage/cleric 4x
most encounters are decided by 6 fireballs

Erebus

Arcane
Yes, but how will you go through the earliest dungeons ? 1st- to 4th-level mages are fairly pathetic in 2e and IWD is hack'n'slash.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I once played a party of four mages. It's pretty easy to go through the first dungeons. Mage armor, blurr, mirror image, some items and you have yourself a tank. At least for measly goblins or orcs. And if you rest frequentely and use all your spells you can take down opposition, and gain levels pretty fast (particularly with a party of less than 6).

I stopped at Yxunomeï though. She is a bitch to take down with magic. Almost impossible, I managed to do it once with an incredible failed save throw on a "chromatic orb" that paralyzed her, and even then it was tough to hit her with anything a mage can weild. Then I fucked up and had to reload the fight, and after a couple of fails I left this party forever lurking the lower corridors of Dragon's eye. :cry:

Murk

Arcane
somebody played icewind dale 2 with a party of 6 sorcerers, he had a bit of an LP going on here - he was plowing through pretty hard and he wasn't leveling them up on purpose too

dude did a p legit job

Melcar

Arcane
Here is what I have:

Human NE Fighter
Human LE Fighter
Half elf CE F/M
Human NE Bard
Human NE Druid
Gnome CN C/T

A rather solid build and I'm having a good time. Only problem is that the only magical weapons I have found so far are long swords and maces, which no one is proficient at, therefore the first major dungeon is being a real bitch.

Maia

Novice
I am also going to pick the Atari collection and play the IWDs for the first time. So, maybe you guys could help me.

Are there any essential mods for IWD +HoW, along the lines of BG-tutu, etc.?

How is the Druid class in IWD? It is a bit lackluster in the BGs, but I keep hearing that in one of the IWDs it is really great.

What is better for the thief - a good old-fashioned backstab or 3Eish sneak attack?

Which weapon types are worthless, which specializations shouldn't be missed?

I am thinking about something like this:

Human Paladin, with pips in longswords, axes and longbow and one pip in a blunt weapon.

Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric (they still get the Druid spells, right?), pips in maces, hammers, sling. Or should I take flails instead of maces? In the BGs, mace specialization certainly was a loss.

Human Fighter 3/Druid maybe - no idea what weapon specializations to take. IWD doesn't have scimitar.

Halfling Fighter/Thief, pips in short swords, dual-wielding, blunt weapon

Half-Elven Bard - I heard that bards are pretty good in IWD. Shortbow, I guess, and?

Human Fighter 3/ Mage, ? Or would Thief 3/ Mage be better?

JrK

Prophet
Maia said:
Are there any essential mods for IWD +HoW, along the lines of BG-tutu, etc.?
Yeah IWD Ease of use. It relieves you of having 20 stacks of 40 arrows and instead you can have 800 of them in one stack. Ease of use is what it's name implies. There are some cheesy options but I avoid them. (use Ask about each option when installing!)

How is the Druid class in IWD? It is a bit lackluster in the BGs, but I keep hearing that in one of the IWDs it is really great.
Druids are awesome with HOW only. MANY offensive spells and healing to boot.

What is better for the thief - a good old-fashioned backstab or 3Eish sneak attack?
Depends on your style. Like occasional but highly damaging backstab or the always possible mediocre damage sneak attack?

Which weapon types are worthless, which specializations shouldn't be missed?
Haven't seen many good flails nor halbers nor spears. Long swords, great sword, axes, maces, bows (excluding short), crossbows and short swords are all great.

Human Paladin, with pips in longswords, axes and longbow and one pip in a blunt weapon.

Half-Elven Ranger/Cleric (they still get the Druid spells, right?), pips in maces, hammers, sling. Or should I take flails instead of maces? In the BGs, mace specialization certainly was a loss.

Human Fighter 3/Druid maybe - no idea what weapon specializations to take. IWD doesn't have scimitar.

Half-Elven Bard - I heard that bards are pretty good in IWD. Shortbow, I guess, and?

Are you after optimization or something else?

If the first: Remember to get long sword prof for Pally in the long run for Holy Avenger. Hammers in stead of flails for ranger. IWD + HOW has scimitar which are decent yet rare, but spears are a nice pick as well (due to rarety of both weapons). No dual wielding in this game, pick archery weapons for fighter/thief and bard. Go fighter3->mage with xbows for your last char.

General tip: in IWD/HoW ranged weapons are king.

Maia

Novice
JrK said:
Depends on your style. Like occasional but highly damaging backstab or the always possible mediocre damage sneak attack?

Well, that depends on implementation, surely. If there are swarms of creatures, then sneak attack is better, if there are fewer, but tougher creatures, then setting up backstabs may be preferable. Hm... must check if my fighter/thief would have enough skill points to have decent sneaking in the first place, it may solve my quandary.

Long swords, great sword, axes, maces, bows (excluding short), crossbows and short swords are all great.

What about bastard swords? Also, which weapons should I aim for with the Bard? I understand that an IWD bard should stay back and sing, rather than get into the fray, am I right?
And are there decent clubs for the Druid, or maybe spears or staves? I really have no idea what weapon profs to pick for him, apart from the sling one.

Are you after optimization or something else?

Optimization. So, no dual-wielding, not even for the Ranger? I guess that it was BG2 innovation, then.

BTW, how important is it for all melee types to have a blunt proficiency, like in the BGs?

Thanks a lot for al the helpful info!

Oh, and "Trials of the Luremaster" is a free download, right? Because the Atari pack only has IWD + HOW.

JrK

Prophet
Maia said:
What about bastard swords? Also, which weapons should I aim for with the Bard? I understand that an IWD bard should stay back and sing, rather than get into the fray, am I right?
And are there decent clubs for the Druid, or maybe spears or staves? I really have no idea what weapon profs to pick for him, apart from the sling one.

Bastard swords are under great swords. They're basically one-handed great swords in IWD. I haven't seen any good ones really. Also, for the bard any melee weapon (perhaps two-handed for range benefits?) will do. He can sing but that's not always better than putting a few arrows into a target, especially before you get Chant of Sith. For a druid I'd go either staves, spears or scimitars, as neither provide awesome weapons but they're all kind of meh compared to other weapons. Clubs are the absolute bottom however, avoid them. So it all depends, want a shield? Go scimmy. If not go spears/staves.

Optimization. So, no dual-wielding, not even for the Ranger? I guess that it was BG2 innovation, then.BTW, how important is it for all melee types to have a blunt proficiency, like in the BGs?Oh, and "Trials of the Luremaster" is a free download, right? Because the Atari pack only has IWD + HOW.

Dualwielding for the ranger is in HoW, but it's only in the form of one extra attack whenever you are wielding a one-handed weapon with nothing else. So using a mace, long sword or axe would get you 2,5 attacks/round right from the start. Definitely nothing to scoff at. In my experience blunt weapons are not necessary, but a definite boon for those who can use them. Most undead are resistant to anything but bludgeoning, but not in a way that will make other weapons useless. Finally, Trials is the final patch for the combo pack, adding a good dungeon on top. It can be downloaded somewhere, but I had some trouble locating it. I wouldn't be surprised if the total pack has trials auto-installed. So check that before hand.

Melcar

Arcane
There are some good Halberds and spears in the game. It's just that most of them are random drops, so you can't count on your 18/00 strength pikeman of doom to get a good weapon in the game. There are some awesome crossbows too, but they are also random drops. In the early parts of the game you get a lot of magical maces and morning stars and a few long swords, so you may want to have a character proficient in those so you can bring down the baddies that need magical weapons (there are a few in the first dungeon).
Blunt weapons are not totally necessary to have since you don't face undead that much nor many characters in plate armors, but they can be useful (specially in the first dungeon since your fighters will be weak as kittens). The most useful weapons to use are single handed weapons like axes and long swords so you can use a shield (lots of good shields in the game). A warrior with a two handed weapon will get chewed up rather quickly; as opposed to BG, the monsters here do hit... often and hard. Also, missile weapons are a God sent. In BG2 bows and crossbows were nerfed to the point of becoming useless, but in IWD they still have the same characteristics as in the first BG. Slings and darts are cool too, since they have the strength bonus.
Druids are awesome all trough the game. They lend themselves to cheese tactics easily as well; just spam entangle and spike growth spells and you can bring down pretty much anything. The druid has been my most effective character.
For mods I'm using the Tweak Pack, Unfinished Business, and Item Upgrade (all can be fount on Gibberling Three) as well as the widescreen mod.
Oh, and both backstab and sneak attack are useless. In this game you will be facing swarms of monsters at a time, so you're better off using your thief as an archer.

Maia said:

Large swords and axes. No need for a bow since you can use throwing axes with this guy. I would equip him with a long sword, a morning star (uses mace proficiency) and a throwing axe. This way you can use plate armors and shields. Make sure he has good strength (18/80+) and you have a very good primary tank.

There is a morning star that gives you extra priest spell slots, so I would use my proficiencies in maces and slings.

There are scimitars in the game, and rather good ones. They just don't have the cool sprite as in BG2 (they look like regular longswords). I would use a quarterstaff instead for a druid.

No dualwielding in IWD except for Rangers. Short swords and bows/crossbows do nicely. There are plenty of bows in the game so you may want to pick that, but the more powerful missile weapons are crossbows (but the good ones are random drops :cry: ).

Bards are great in IWD, but you may get bored with him after a while. Aside from the special items they get to use, they aren't that useful as a whole aside from their exceptional lore values.

You don't need more than one thief in the game, so I would go F/M.

Oh, and you may drive yourself crazy with more than 5 characters just because of the game's pathfinding. It sucks, and you will most likely end up dying more times because of party members wandering off to weird places in the map than in the thick of battle.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Reading this thread has reminded me just how much better D&D 3rd ed is for hack'n slash dungeoncrawling.

JrK

Prophet
Yes, looking forward to SoZ for that! 3e is so much better for creative multiclassing and party ideas. I had most fun with IWDII with that aspect, often starting over just to try something else.

DaveO

Erudite
A pretty good party is:
1. Fighter/Thief (Gnome or Halfling) for special items and focus on low AC(mine had -10 or lower)
2. Paladin for the special sword
3. Bard for lore + special items + extra mage capability
4. Ranger/Cleric - Favored enemy and good against undead
5. Fighter/Mage - Good bows are plentiful in the game, and a pure mage can only use slings
6. Fighter/Druid - Summons are handy in some fights

Raapys

Arcane
Solo it with a sorcerer. Difficult at first, then it just gets easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom