Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's a Mount & Blade: Warband Thread!

n0denz

Novice
After burning myself out on Rogue Trader, I am once again crawling home to Warband. Let's talk about the best thing to come out of Turkey.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I still play vanilla occasionally, or rather the Diplomacy mod. More for nostalgia really. Eventually I tend to get bored or burnt out with the base game. But I always found it pretty hard to get into the popular mods, that tend to have huge difficulty spikes compared to the original.

Üstad

Arcane
I still have pics from 2011 where I screenshotted my not so impressive scores in multiplayer and my character got bloodstained for killing too much :) I had so many memories with this game and with Fire&Sword game. The multiplayer was a total blast.

gKqrIKL.jpeg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Warband is probably the best of the Mount & Blade series. For some reason, Bannerlords doesn't seem to capture the fun I had in Warband, but when I attempt to go back to Warband, I miss a lot of the features added with Bannerlords.

I've actually enjoyed games like Mount & Blade and Kenshi more in the last few years than I've enjoyed most of the other CRPG releases that actually have stories. The fact that stories just seem to pop up out of circumstance and based largely on what's going on with your character or what's going on in the rest of the world just seems more meaningful than playing through scripted event after scripted event these days.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I stupidly attempted my first playthrough of Warband with a mod by some arab guy who promised "major QoL enhancements" but ended up bugging my playthrough to kingdom come. Another modder whose highly regarded mod I was contemplating about a french revolution setting, I think, had a public nervous breakdown on one of the forums. The moral of my story: never attempt mods on a first playthrough. I need to go back and do vanilla.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Vanilla is still a fantastic experience. You can drop hundreds of hour in that before needing any mods.

Ryzer

Arcane
It gets insanely repetitive and boring very quick. Overrated.

Hydro

Educated
Yeah, will never forget those epic battles where everybody on the battlefield was erratically hopping to avoid being shot.

n0denz

Novice
I still have pics from 2011 where I screenshotted my not so impressive scores in multiplayer and my character got bloodstained for killing too much :) I had so many memories with this game and with Fire&Sword game. The multiplayer was a total blast.
The multiplayer is the one thing I never really got into. Always seemed like it attracted a lot of the same europarry fags that infested Chivalry. Still, I envied the people who did regimental fights in NW. There was another game called Holdfast, I think, that was built around that concept, but I don't know much about it.
If I got into MP, it'd probably be for the achievements so that I could finally 100% it. Also I need to do a proper longform AAR like the Darkest Hour AAR's Cassidy used to post. I admired his autism.

Fink

Novice
Always loved the idea of mount and blade, but always end up bored after a few hours due to make-your-own-fun gameplay not really doing it for me. I struggle to get into full sandbox type games. Any good mods that add better quests/more structure?

Fargus

Arcane
It gets insanely repetitive and boring very quick. Overrated.

This type of games is pretty autistic in nature. Personally i loved M&B ever since i played original early access version in late 2000s.

You can always try mods like diplomacy for native module or total conversions, they vary in quality but some are fun. Also Viking Conquest expansion is good shit and has story mode.

It's a fun game for the first run, but I doubt I'd ever play a campaign again. I can remember a lot of tedium toward the end. Now if the campaign had been multiplayer with a persistent real-time world, holy shit that would have been awesome. Huge missed opportunity for Bannerlord, can't believe they decided to just release the same game again.

I got a lot more play out of Napoleonic Wars in the Humans vs. Bots server, even modded some of the fife & drum music from Sharpe into the game. Still remember playing that a few days before Christmas of 2013 with a bunch of friends. Fun times, God shits on a carny.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The multiplayer is the one thing I never really got into.
I tried it once. The one thing I discovered is that I'm not where near as good as everyone else that seems to play the game online. It almost reminded me of the time I hopped on to Descent 3 multiplayer when it first came out only to be shocked and awed by the servers being filled with people who've played nothing but Descent 1 and 2 in the years they were waiting for Descent 3 to come out.

It's a fun game for the first run, but I doubt I'd ever play a campaign again.
It isn't a campaign. It's not scripted. It basically carries out based on the circumstances of the events as they happen. For example, and this was probably my least favorite time I played it, very early on before I even established myself much, the king of the country I'd just recently pledged to join got captured along with a bunch of the higher ranking lords in a battle I wasn't even close to being involved in. So, I was made King of that country. So, I went from nearly broke, non-land owned, barely had an army of peasants guy to King nearly broke, castle owning, barely had an army of peasants guy. I think the castle siege that ended my reign was 600+ attackers versus my 30 some odd inexperienced rabble. It didn't go well.

But that's the kind of stuff that can happen. It's rare, though. Thankfully. It was bad.

n0denz

Novice
Now if the campaign had been multiplayer with a persistent real-time world, holy shit that would have been awesome. Huge missed opportunity for Bannerlord, can't believe they decided to just release the same game again.
I still need to try the persistent world mods. As far as BL goes, that's one among so many missed opportunities. I wouldn't have even been disappointed if it was just WB again but prettier, but it looks like literal shovelware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom