Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Intermission: Let's Read... Arkham Asylum

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
nKor9.jpg

knDE0.jpg

VihUr.jpg

9qZSR.jpg

vWUgC.jpg

FoW7C.jpg

lSICg.jpg

cDCbt.jpg

iVoxJ.jpg

eNiOc.jpg

dbTCv.jpg

n8WOM.jpg

2m6oU.jpg

ljaHi.jpg

wDv5x.jpg

NMDKz.jpg

eOhFQ.jpg

XOI8X.jpg

o4d7Q.jpg

FwHVi.jpg

2WTNK.jpg

BNugO.jpg

2AjPO.jpg

f3wqZ.jpg

ecnSZ.jpg

eKc52.jpg

X5rsF.jpg

IBEuj.jpg

fdeLy.jpg

TDMbt.jpg

8rV1o.jpg

FXvaS.jpg

G6HxC.jpg

309PP.jpg

vgYqy.jpg

wPFWh.jpg

MS67B.jpg

J8kOy.jpg

Pa5gu.jpg

ZJ44m.jpg

rz1sg.jpg

61WGn.jpg

TZxFu.jpg

497W3.jpg

cNMjD.jpg

eSgGY.jpg

kOIf4.jpg

wNaXN.jpg

gNSyt.jpg

Bf1Zb.jpg

lnukX.jpg

Whr6z.jpg

cGvph.jpg

7EpbV.jpg

q0aTR.jpg

zCOXt.jpg

yd12u.jpg

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Well that was.. arty.

I remember reading this 20 years ago. Never went back to it.

Vaarna_Aarne

I consider the "doll's house" scene to be a masterful example of horror in comic book format. Some of my favourite pages of all time.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I liked the flashback parts much better than the Batman parts but this art style drives me crazy for some reason.

Vaarna_Aarne

The artist himself has on several occasions criticized his style in this book. According to him, it obscures storytelling.

Personally, I think the art style enhances the demented and surreal atmosphere of the comic.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yeah but it is like it was trying to hard to give that feeling. Toning it down a bit or only using it when things get crazy would have been better. What's the point when Batman is talking to Gordon? Makes the art more important than the story.

edit: The art should have changed as Batman entered the asylum and as Dr Arkum slowly got more crazy. Of course what the hell do I know?

Eyeball

Arcane
What an unbelievable pile of shit in every single conceivable way.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Loved it, myself. It's like having an insider's look at the nightmare of a guy who got told about one story and another story behind it. The Arkham flashbacks were great, as was the Joker imagery.

34t2xq9.jpg

I mean, that's the kind of image I want burnt in my retina when I go to sleep. Takes me back to being a 10 year old watching The Wall for the very first time, a chunk of mind blown up to make room for all kinds of uptothen unthinkable things.

Vaarna_Aarne

A particularly good boon in owning the 15th Anniversary Edition print of the comic is that it comes with the original script with added annotations by Grant Morrison.

Btw, I think it'd be good to point out that this was the comic that made character-specific lettering mainstream standard (though obviously not many comics let the letterer go wild like in this one).

Radisshu

Prophet
Yeah but it is like it was trying to hard to give that feeling. Toning it down a bit or only using it when things get crazy would have been better. What's the point when Batman is talking to Gordon? Makes the art more important than the story.

edit: The art should have changed as Batman entered the asylum and as Dr Arkum slowly got more crazy. Of course what the hell do I know?
Yeah, this. I still like this comic, though, although Batman feels too "soft" all the way through, he should go in all Batmanny and then let the vulnerability and fear take over.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yeah, this. I still like this comic, though, although Batman feels too "soft" all the way through, he should go in all Batmanny and then let the vulnerability and fear take over.
In the script Morrison exposits this to the artist, like the fact that in any other situation a skinny psychiatrist with a razor wouldn't even register as a threat to Batman, who is a world-class martial artist and athlete who fights superpowered opponents. This time it's just that his head is completely fucked up by that point and he was recently impaled on a rusty metal spear handle by Killer Croc.

Radisshu

Prophet

In the script Morrison exposits this to the artist, like the fact that in any other situation a skinny psychiatrist with a razor wouldn't even register as a threat to Batman, who is a world-class martial artist and athlete who fights superpowered opponents. This time it's just that his head is completely fucked up by that point and he was recently impaled on a rusty metal spear handle by Killer Croc.
Yeah, and by that point I think it makes sense. I just think the biggest problem with Arkham Asylum is that it's complete insanity from frame one, letting it build a bit would've made the comic better. Still a classic though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom