Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interesting Alpha Protocol preview

If my life would suck, wouldn't playing a play boy spy be perfect for me? You are wrong, sir.

what about a knight in shining armor? Or a mage that is admired for being extremely nerdy and antisocial, instead of despised?

Generic D&D style fantasy setting is far more lame.

OH SHI-
011_Octriallach.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
I believe that's a PR stunt - Obsidian has no talent to pull that off - or they simply talk about shooting enemies with non-lethal weapons which doesn't change anything (Therefore it is totally impossible to avoid combat in AP). This especially smells of bullshit considering that there are triggers that make enemies appear out of nowhere and attack you as evidenced by gameplay videos.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
MetalCraze said:
I believe that's a PR stunt - Obsidian has no talent to pull that off - or they simply talk about shooting enemies with non-lethal weapons which doesn't change anything (Therefore it is totally impossible to avoid combat in AP). This especially smells of bullshit considering that there are triggers that make enemies appear out of nowhere and attack you as evidenced by gameplay videos.

Yea, you probably just use "non-lethal takedowns on enemies". But I'm sure that quote proves one thing - you can get through the game without killing any of the main plot characters. That's something at least.

Dickweed

Educated
MetalCraze said:
It doesn't take talent to pull off when you consider that Alpha Protocol is a spy game and that means that it probably just involves going around enemies without them seeing you. You people seem to think it would involve actually writing good dialogue and sensible choices.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dickweed said:
It doesn't take talent to pull off when you consider that Alpha Protocol is a spy game and that means that it probably just involves going around enemies without them seeing you.

Except it does. All Obsidian games had nothing but MMO grind gameplay to this point. And judging by video AP's gameplay sucks really hard. You don't need a talent to make MMO grind, for everything else to be fun you do.

Dickweed

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Except it does. All Obsidian games had nothing but MMO grind gameplay to this point. And judging by video AP's gameplay sucks really hard.
It takes talent to make all the enemies in a game look one way and make your character move around in the other direction?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes it takes a talent to make enemies do something else than look for hours at the wall so you can walk past them. You confuse a crappy implementation with a really good stealth gameplay like in f.e. Thief.

Emotional Vampire said:
Skyway, you never played a MMO in your life.

But of course - I don't play games, only bitch about them.
NWN2/KotOR2 gameplay is exactly like MMO grind - lots of boring enemies - click on them and watch your characters auto-attack them while you make him drink potions or cast spells if he is a mage. Storm of Zehir in fact had even more awful gameplay than some MMOs. In Lineage 2 f.e. dungeons weren't two rooms at least.

Dickweed

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Yes it takes a talent to make enemies do something else than look for hours at the wall so you can walk past them. You confuse a crappy implementation with a really good stealth gameplay like in f.e. Thief.
You confuse me saying that Obsidian is going to make enemies look for hours at the wall with me saying that the game has really good stealth gameplay. I think you maybe caught a touch of the retarded I had going on a bit earlier.

Dickweed

Educated
Dickweed said:
It doesn't take talent to make a spy game that doesn't force you to kill people when they'll probably just use stealth to do it.
MetalCraze said:
Except it does.
Dickweed said:
No it doesn't, now I'm going to restate the exact same argument but imply that it means Alpha Protocol's a shit game at the same time.
MetalCraze said:
I suddenly agree with you.

Trithne

Erudite
Dickweed said:
Dickweed said:
It doesn't take talent to make a spy game that doesn't force you to kill people when they'll probably just use stealth to do it.
MetalCraze said:
Except it does.
Dickweed said:
No it doesn't, now I'm going to restate the exact same argument but imply that it means Alpha Protocol's a shit game at the same time.
MetalCraze said:
I suddenly agree with you.

Decline of skyway?

GMonkey

Scholar
No one here knows whether Alpha Protocol will suck or not, but Skyway decided it sucked as soon as he knew it was done by Obsidian.

Now, maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, but regardless, he's still a fundamentalist idiot who draws conclusions before having any info whatsoever to make a decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom