Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Games That Could Use Some Sales

MonkeyHead

Educated
If you wanted to throw some financial support to damn fine indie game developers where would it go? Assuming a budget of roughly $150 and a bias towards RPGs what would you purchase? I prefer supporting studios that are still actively developing but there's no reason to deny legacy game sales to someone.

Off the top of my head I would start with:

Eschalon: Book I $19.95
Mount and Blade $25.00
Depths of Peril $19.99

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Definitely Eschalon. Might have many flaws and not be that good of a game to some, but I think with some encouragement, its developer is capable of great feats.

Teudogar too, but I really don't like it, so it'd be more of a moral donation so as to encourage him to improve the engine.

And, of course, Mount and Blade, which is good for what it tries to be.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Quite obviously, the developers of Prelude to Darkness. $150 probably isn't enough to get the studio up and running again, but it should at least make up for me only hearing about it after it was released for free.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I'm currently playing the first 3 parts of Geneforge for the first time and I'm having a lot of fun, much more than with most "mainstream" PC games in the past 5 years. I recently finished the second part and am taking a short break before beginning with the 3rd but I can already tell that my 55 Dollars were well spent (actually, it was pretty cheap considering the exchange rate between Euro and Dollar). The games offer an interesting setting, a lot of c&c (and therefore replay value), good writing and an acceptable character system.

Since the games are sold as shareware you can play a pretty huge part of each one and purchase a registration key in order to continue in case you like the game.

Here's the link to the Geneforge games (and other Spiderweb Software games):

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
What's wrong with the Teudogar engine? I played the demo and it seemed like a higher-res Ultima VII. Since you still play the old Wizardry games, Jasede, I'm suspecting it's something besides age.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Zombie Nightmare of Fillibree County. Granted, it's a freeware game, and has been ditched long ago by the developer, but it's got some of the best gameplay I've ever seen. If it wasn't free, I'd have bought ten copies.

http://www.codedread.com/games.php#ZN

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Bought 'em all. M&B was the only one really worth buying. DoP was just a sub par ARPG with one unique feature, but a multiplayer mode would have saved it . Book 1 was better, but besides looking better was just a worse Spiderweb game, I still have some hope for Book 2 though. In any case, I don't care if I buy the occasional crappy indie game because it's not that much money and I'd rather give the money to someone who tries to make good RPGs instead of simply popular ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom