Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Implementing a low magic world in D&D3.5/NWN2?

TotS

Novice
I wrote down a few things I'll have to consider, if I'm ever going through with actually making the mod, that keeps popping up in my mind every few months (Chances are I won't / get bored halfway in). I chose NWN2, since it should be rather moddable and I know the ruleset (Although I'd prefer a hybrid with ToEE-Style combat :? ).
Feel free to call me a dumbfuck and show me where I'm wrong.

Suppose you want to make a module for NWN2 and the game world calls for a drastically reduced number of magic items and spellcasters.

Regarding the magic items, you could just cut all of them out, but that's not a good idea, as this would just exacerbate the power gap between (PC-)spellcasters and non-spellcasters. (It's been years since the last time I've GMed a D&D session, but I remember the gold-by-level table in the DMG to be there for a reason.)

So, not to worsen the discrepancy between spellcasters and the rest, magic items in some form have to stay, just not described as such.
The +5/keen-Longsword would be a perfectly balanced and incredibly sharp masterpiece done by Hattori Hanzo some mythical weaponsmith hermit.
Stuff like +1d6 fire damage etc. would have to be relegated to potions, that can be applied to weaponry for a temporary boost.
Same with with armor and shield.
Stuff like boosted reflex saves and attributes etc. would be a bit more tricky or even downright asinine, as no one is getting more intelligent by donning some piece of equipment ("Hold on, just let me put on my thinking cap!" Yeah, right.), but in the end it would boil down to careful selection of attributes and proper item description. Not Ideal, but better than giving this stuff the axe.

NPCs or more precisely Companions could prove difficult. Problem is, that a lot of base classes have spell-like, supernatural and spellcasting abilities, albeit limited ones. Apart from the obvious ones of Clerics, Druids and Wizards there are Paladins, Bards and Rangers, who all have one or two of those.
Even if you're not going for the Full Six Man Monty, having more than let's say 2 of those in your party, breaks the low magic feel of the game world. Same goes for having to many magically enhanced or supernatural opponents. And you probably want more than just 2 as joinable NPCs, so the player can choose, which ones annoy him the least.

All that leaves you with barbarians, fighters, monks, swashbucklers and rogues for the vast majority.
Not a big pool to draw from.
For most NPCs that's not really a problem, as the players won't know their classes and frankly won't care. For joinable NPCs that might pose more of a headache.
If the player can decide how to level them up, sooner than later, you'll end up with a group where virtually all of them have some spellcasting ability or other.
So if you're going for a low magic feel, you'll either have to limit the available classes for each NPC, or they'll have to level up on their own.

Crucially, all of those joinable characters have to be not only unique in terms of character interaction, but also in the way they develop in game terms.
And if you're taking the choice how to level the NPCs away from the player, those NPCs should be leveled in such a way, that they are effective.
For example, if there are two joinable rogues, they must not be interchangeable in terms play style - so if there is a dual-dagger wielding flanker who is also a fast-talker, the other one shouldn't be. Maybe have him specialized in ranged combat. Of course, both should still be competent in their core niche - breaking&entering and stealing stuff.
That goes doubly if you're multiclassing them.

And then there's the quest and world design. If you are going for low magic, that means the standard plethora of dragons, undead, curses and enchantments go right out of the window. Some of them may be present, but having a cursed noble, a dragon+plus hoard, powerful wizards, a haunted village, a wrathful elemental, an invasion by demons and a magical postbox all in one module might be a bad idea then.

Overall it seems rather pointless, when you can go for the normal high magic setting and don't have to worry about such things. :M

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
you're pretty much trying to build a dam with straw here bro, trying to make ascetic gruel in willy wonka's chocolate factory

I think you might want to try adding a script that drastically reduces magic spell and feat progression for higher levels and cut off certain spells or entire schools, or even building custom classes for your module and restricting play to those

perhaps my bro freelance henchman or other nwn2 dudes can have an idea on how to implement that

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Magic is the only interesting thing in D&D based games. Cutting most of it out downgrades a mediocre system to utter shit. If you want a low magic setting use something else.

Morkar Left

It's possible to make a low magic d20 system. You have to make sure that AC raises with level/feat/skill. Then all classes/npcs have to start with higher HP and gain fewer HP than in regular D&D (aprox. 1-3 per Level). Plus you have to basically rewrite all classes to make them less magical/fantastic (especially the casters and their spellprogression). See Conan D20 P&P, Birthright D20 or modern D20 and Star Wars D20 as an example.

Even for D20 pen&paper it's a lot of work but writing and scripting all this in the NWN2 engine? Have fun!

Erebus

Arcane
You could simply ask the players not to select heavy-spellcasting classes for the PC or the companions. I like the idea of a low-magic setting, but its atmosphere is going to suffer if the hero is able to turn himself invisible by level 3 and throw fireballs around by level 5.

As far as companions are concerned, it's easy to create non-spellcasting rangers or paladins : just give them a Wisdom score that's too low to cast spells (though paladins will still have a few supernatural abilities).

As for enemies, humans/humanoids can work just fine. Remember BG2 ? Many of its most entertaining fights were against parties fairly similar to yours. The key element, in my opinion, is that the members of the enemy group have diverse skills, weaponry and tactics. It remains quite possible even without spellcasters.

Crichton

Prophet
I've thought about the same issue while modding NWN2 and there aren't any easy answers. If you want to encourage the use of non-magic (fighter, barbarian, rogue) or low magic (ranger, paladin) classes, you need to:

1) restrict resting

2) include many creatures with "Dispel Magic" and such to discourage "buffing"

3) include enemies with good saving throws and/or spell resistance to discourage offensive magic

As the rules stand magic users, particularly clerics and druids, have a huge advantage over the "muggle classes". None of the above measures will change that unless taken to silly extremes (every encounter consists of monks with dispel magic as a special ability). However the game is better balanced at the lower levels. My current module starts at level 4 and ends at level 10. I also restrict the power of magic items as I find that makes more difference to the atmosphere of the module than the amount of spell-casting per se.

darkling

Educated
Take a look at Monte Cooks Iron Heroes D20 variant/setting for inspiration. It's a very low magic setting, it's D20, it's pretty much badass. 9 of the 10 core classes do not have any magical abilities. Sure, implementing much of it in NWN would be difficult, but still, it is entirely viable in the system. 3.5E is quite malleable and with a bit of work just about anything can be done in it. That was the entire point of D20 and OGL.

deuxhero

Arcane
Look up e6 rules for 3.5 and see if you can script them in.

The basic gist is that levels are caped at 6, but you gain an extra feat (which has a bigger list that includes latter obtained class features) every 5000 XP. CR for encounters tops out at CR10, which is a campaign ender.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Magic is the only interesting thing in D&D based games. Cutting most of it out downgrades a mediocre system to utter shit. If you want a low magic setting use something else.

This. Gameplay would be very dull. Disregarding all the LARP value for a second, all melee characters play the exact same. Needs a reworked rule set to make them stand out and be interesting / fun to play.

laclongquan

Arcane
Low magic is hard as fuck to implement, but you can nerf magic's overpower status.

First thing you do, you cut off free resting. Or at least drastically reduce its usage. Map-wide restriction "you cant rest here"? A humongous map with one or two resting areas (in a defensive small cave maybe?).

Second thing you do, spread the improve saving throws items among fighters: Will, especially. And Spell resistant improvement items. That will put fighter's antimagic capacity up a bit.

And adamantine ranged ammo. It ignored Stoneskin defense which is a major defense, and therefore balance the scale of ranged battles more.

More prevalence of Deadly grade alchemist flasks.

EDit: Mind you, that mean summoners and illusionists see more appearances.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom