Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm such a dirty, dirty whore

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, another Fallout 3 thread. Deal with it, bitches.

So here's what I think after playing this thing for two days now: it's pretty fun. It's slowly leaching all intelligence out of my brain, but it's fun.

I'm not going to go too much into the dialog and quest aspects since those've been raped (justifiably) quite thoroughly here already, but I will say that at least there are signs that Bethesda is finally starting to wake up from their six-year dumbfuck slumber. The "extra" choices included due to my Speech skills, while nowhere near as satisfying as those in F1 and 2, do seem to make it worth it that I didn't just max out Strength and go for the console idiot brute force method. Not that there's any added depth or consequence that I've seen so far from any of the "smart" responses, but they're there anyway. Meh, I suppose it's really all quite transparent. I need to further the story.

The vault was actually great. Don't know if this has been said here before, but if they made the whole game at the same quality as in here I might be impressed. I still have a long ways to go but I hope things pick back up again. I'm starting to see signs of the old repetative nature as in Oblivion and that will quickly damn this thing to the depths of uninstall hell, AFAIC. We'll see.

Combat isn't necessarily easy, yet. So far, V.A.T.S. isn't the über-cheat everyone else is making it out to be, at least for me. That's probably because none of my combat skills are very high, but I'm actually doing better in RT mode since I can empty my clip into a molerat's head faster that way (I'm playing on Hard difficulty). It usually comes down to the old hide-behind-something and pick away at them or, if out in the open, pulling off the old run backwards shooting or clubbing technique until they or I fall over. I've been saving V.A.T.S. for the money shot since it's pretty amusing if you get a gory kill.

Now on to the whore aspects. tEh GraPHixors would be pleasing if we were still back in '02. Same engine, same relatively muddy textures, same overuse of HDR/bloom. Faces and body animation are improved, but still suffer from that indescribable, wrong, Bethesda "look". Someone commented that the landscape is too brown, too much of the same, and looks like ass. I don't really have a problem with it, though, since I would expect a wasteland to look like, you know, a wasteland. The extreme rockiness seems out of place, however. Should be more flattened and blasted areas. I guess they were going for more interest; can't blame them, I guess. Performance on my rig has gotten better the more tweaking I do. As with Oblivion, the picky nature of Gamebryo requires this. Very stable so far, except the first night I tried to play it where having any shadows or HDR enabled at all would cause an immediate crash upon choosing new game. Solved this on my own. Don't ask.

Voice acting is definitely improved, but I've never been a VA connoisseur. I recognize some of the voices but most are new and fitting with the rest of the game's quality level. All ghouls seem to use the same gravelly voice so far. That's annoying. FX are adequate if uninspiring. Liberal use of echo in caves and shit -- par for the cake-icing course with Bethesda.

Balance is actually pretty good this early on. It's challenging on Hard mode to stay alive and prosper. I have to watch my ammo levels carefully -- the supply shop in Megaton isn't a neverending fountain of 4.56mm slugs. The shopkeeper's caps supply is pleasingly low as well. Problem I'm seeing though is that despite that, there's still too much junk that can be sold. In addition, there's not a very strict limit on the weight you can carry, so it would be pretty easy to horde all the wealth in town if I wanted to.

My bottom line is that you do get a wasteland fix from Fallout 3, but you're going to pay in more ways than one (even if you don't physically remove it from an inventory). In typical Oblivion-like fashion, you get sucked in for a while and start believing the game might just get better and better. I'm smarter than that, though. I realize this is just Todd's and Pete's promises burning their bloom into my retinas during the early game, but it's probably going to all come crashing down about a week or two in. So, I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is while I can. Pretty soon, all the voices are going to sound like each other, the short one-liner responses are going to simply not matter, and I'll just be struggling to make it to the endgame. You know, just finish up already.

I'm a whore.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Performance:

My game automatically set me on Medium quality (despite having a top of the range grafix card) so I believe there's no bloom for me, or anti-aliasing, isostroposy or anything like that. Looks pretty good that way, no lag, game loads quickly (~10 seconds or less most of the time). I've just noticed a slight lag between voice acting and lip movements, and occasionally the text description lags behind if I take a screenshot (maybe because by default they're in bitmap, which is a dumb idea), and the final speech option is invisible until I scroll the mouse cursor over it.

VATS:

I don't know why everyone's saying combat is easy, it isn't for me, RT only works at very close range to kill that dog or raider who's right in my face and about to cut me up (in which case VATS would take too long), for all medium/long range shots I need to use VATS.

Which is slightly annoying because I only get about three VATS shots with my AP bar full (with the basic pistol/rifle), and it takes ~5-10 seconds to fill up again. In the Super Mart I was trapped in a room and had just used two shots on a raider I could see at long range, meanwhile her buddy crept around the corner and started blasting me which caused me a lot of damage while I tried to head shot him with my last VATS.

So you can't rely on VATS.

I've taken to using Grenades which you can use in VATS and give awesome results... one raider survived but had crippled legs allowing me to easily finish him off (after blowing up his friend) at my leisure with a crappy pistol.

flabbyjack

Arcane
*This space reserved for my future Fallout 3 review*

dagorkan said:
VATS:

So you can't rely on VATS.

I've taken to using Grenades which you can use in VATS and give awesome results... one raider survived but had crippled legs allowing me to easily finish him off (after blowing up his friend) at my leisure with a crappy pistol.

As we all know it can be really tricky to use grenades in FPS'es, they won't land anywhere near you throw them, have strange trajectories, and have obscure bouncing. VATs fixes this.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Some illustrative screens:

Vicious dog

ScreenShot108.jpg

ScreenShot109.jpg

Got him in the chest twice and had to side step
ScreenShot110.jpg

ScreenShot111.jpg

Ouch.

Vicious... um, Mole Rat

ScreenShot112.jpg

ScreenShot113.jpg

Critters enjoy jumping in this game, he's about a meter away of gravity slamming him into me.
ScreenShot114.jpg

Effects

ScreenShot134.jpg

After I got shot in the face by raiders, lucky to survive, if they had kept in long range where I couldn't hit them they would have killed me

Grenade

ScreenShot136.jpg

Didn't manage to take a screenshot of the guy being thrown through the air, in VATS there's a slight lag between pressing the screenshot button and taking it.

Argosy

Novice
I don't know why everyone's saying combat is easy, it isn't for me, RT only works at very close range to kill that dog or raider who's right in my face and about to cut me up (in which case VATS would take too long), for all medium/long range shots I need to use VATS.

I play exactly the opposite. Real-time at a distance(one-shotting super-mutants with a hunting rifle ) and VATS up-close when the schizo combat AI makes it a pain to hit some enemies. Though more and more, I've just been switching to combat shotgun and playing that out in real-time as well.

And yeah, it gets to be a boring disappointment really quickly.

Disconnected

Scholar
I've only tried it on single & SLIed 88GTX machines so far, but the performance seems quite good. Rather unlike previous Bethsoft titles.

It also looks quite nice, I think, though animations are the usual shitfest. Really, it looks like every humanoid in the game literally has a nauseatingly long stick up its ass.

The controls are sluggish. Default mouse speed sucks & there's the ever-unlovable move delay.

Third person perspective is rendered unplayable through an obnoxious combination of keeping the avatar off-centre, VATS and obstruction/clipping issues.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
that is fucking funny

looking straight on the dog, shooting the "head" is 89% while shooting the "chest" is 94%

hell, shooting the chest should be at like 10-12% max and head like 75% +

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Good work CF! That's what I'm talking about!

The System works!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom