Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If it was in Oblivion, it’s in Fallout.

Hazelnut

Erudite
PlayFeed said:
If it was in Oblivion, it’s in Fallout. In fact, you could say that Fallout is “Oblivion: The Geiger Scrolls.”
PlayFeed said:
An FPS for non-FPS players.
Source

Sorry if everyone is sick of the F3 preview 'effluent torrent' of the past few weeks, but I just had to post this comment. Oh, so yeah, the Codex was so wrong about Oblivion with guns... :roll:

Also, take a look at the hilarious press release on briosa's blog... here.

Now, I want to know where the hell St Toxic has got to, and so what's happening with http://www.fallout3.org/!! If the idea was to lull Beth into a false sense of security, then I'd say you're succeeding... maybe a little too well.

Section8

Cipher
Experience S.P.E.C.I.A.L.! – Vault-Tec® engineers bring you the latest in human ability simulation – the SPECIAL Character System! Utilizing new breakthroughs in points-based ability representation, SPECIAL affords unlimited customization of your character. Also included are dozens of unique skills and perks to choose from, each with a dazzling variety of effects!

Sorry Bethesduh, you're making the game sound disappointing and largely unplayable by including this decades old tech.

fastpunk

Arbiter
That PlayFeed article is above and beyond stupidity! Especially the "notables" section. I gotta stop reading this FO3 shit, it's a waste of brain-cells. :x

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I still don't like the Oblivion with guns tag. It's oversimplifiying. If Oblivion had had half of what is *promised* for FO3, it might have been a decent game. Also, in all fairness, one should contrast these comments with Desslocks.

GhanBuriGhan said:
If Oblivion had had half of what had been *promised* for Oblivion, it might have been a decent game.
There, fixed it for ya, 'cause I'm such a nice guy.

What can I say, Bethesda are the Boy Who Cried Mudcrab.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Futile Rhetoric said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
If Oblivion had had half of what had been *promised* for Oblivion, it might have been a decent game.
There, fixed it for ya, 'cause I'm such a nice guy.

What can I say, Bethesda are the Boy Who Cried Mudcrab.
Nonlinear quest design and multiple endings were never promised for Oblivion, Dialogue was glossed overs as "better, trust us". I know it's popular to claim that they promised "all the same stuff" for Oblivion, but that is not my recollection. I certainly got weary interpreting their statements after Oblivion, where many things turned out far less great than they sounded (although I disagree on the notion of outright lies). So, with that caveat: the campaigns do promise different things.
I am telling no one to like FO3, but again, its too simple to just say "Oblivion with guns". Its more Oblivion meets Fallout.

GhanBuriGhan said:
Nonlinear quest design and multiple endings were never promised for Oblivion, Dialogue was glossed overs as "better, trust us". I know it's popular to claim that they promised "all the same stuff" for Oblivion, but that is not my recollection.
I don't recall claiming that. What I said -- or, well, implied -- is that they promised a lot of stuff for Oblivion which was simply untrue.

I certainly got weary interpreting their statements after Oblivion, where many things turned out far less great than they sounded (although I disagree on the notion of outright lies). So, with that caveat: the campaigns do promise different things.

I am telling no one to like FO3, but again, its too simple to just say "Oblivion with guns". Its more Oblivion meets Fallout.
Making that assessment is entirely within your rights; naiveté isn't a crime, yet.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
It's a bit harder to lie about "multiple endings to quests" then it is to lie about "we have better dialogue this time".

But, who knows, multiple endings might mean "the guy says this instead of saying that"....

xedoc gpr said:
It's a bit harder to lie about "multiple endings to quests" then it is to lie about "we have better dialogue this time".

But, who knows, multiple endings might mean "the guy says this instead of saying that"....
I think that quests being downright retarded should figure into the equation -- like Oblivion's incredible, life-like AI.

Pete Hines said:
There's very little I'm not excited about in Oblivion. The A.I. is certainly one that gets a lot of airtime, and for good reason. Even more than just bringing characters to life as they go about their daily lives, I'm excited about the use of Radiant A.I. in quests. Our A.I. system is very firmly rooted in our scripting and quest systems, and the difference it makes between Morrowind's "talk-fetch-reward" quests and Oblivion's much more involved quests is going to really wow people.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
site viewed in browser said:
• Blast ‘Em Away With V.A.T.S.! –Even the odds in combat with the Vault-Tec® Assisted Targeting System for your Pip-Boy Model 3000! V.A.T.S. allows you to pause time in combat, target specific body parts on your target, queue up attacks, and let Vault-Tec take out your aggression for you. Rain death and destruction in an all-new cinematic presentation featuring gory dismemberments and spectacular explosions.

The game will be rated "everyone" but then someone will discover mutie-titties and will be changed to "adult".

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
Also, in all fairness, one should contrast these comments with Desslocks.
Yeah? Did he make them in that PC Gamer article? I stopped reading that when that Dan idiot called VATS "a fantastic compromise between FPS and turn-based combat" which combined with his claim to have been sceptical turns my stomach. It's what everyone says who doesn't simply say "Bethesda is the best, there was never any doubt that Fallout 3 will pwnz0r!"

GhanBuriGhan said:
Its more Oblivion meets Fallout.
Yeah, like a car wreck.

OverrideB1

Scholar
The problem is, we've heard all this bullshit from Bethesda before. Morrowind was supposed to be a quantum step up from Daggerfall. While it was an okay game -- I got several months of fun out of it with various mods -- it was hardly the jaw-dropping spectacle we'd been promised. Then came Oblivion: again, according to the dickwads at Bethesda, it was supposed to be way better than Morrowind. We all saw just how well that turned out.

And yes Ghan, they did promise multiple solutions to quests in Oblivion -- anyone remember the bullshit spouted about how to get a diamond? We were told there were dozens of ways to get it -- in the end, it all devolved down to fighting. As did every damn' quest in the game.

So this much touted multiple paths in FO3? Probably not going to bring back nostalgic memories of games of yore.

Radient AI? Yeah, great. Instead of standing staring at a wall for days on end, now they'll stand staring at a radioactive wall for days on end. Big fucking whoop.

So far nothing I've heard about FO3 fulls me with anything other than that resigned feeling of "Ahhh well, there goes another great franchise".

DiverNB

Liturgist
GhanBuriGhan said:
Claw said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Its more Oblivion meets Fallout.
Yeah, like a car wreck.

Quite possibly. But an Oblivion -Fallout car wreck still isnt Oblivion with guns :)

So its Pip Boy with an exhaust pipe stuck up his ass and a shredded face from the glass?

Sounds even worse.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
Also, in all fairness, one should contrast these comments with Desslocks.

Desslock said:
I agree that the VATS system looks great and retains the feel of the original Fallout games.
Desslock said:
The VATS targeting system (...) has a (far more) tactical, turn-based feel.
Desslock said:
And they don't seem to be shying away from other types of adult content either: The inhabitants of the wastes are suitably profanic and un-PC with factions of bandits and slavers on the loose.
Desslock is a whore.

Also:
"Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System targeting system" - lol

I couldn't even quote Dan's verbal diarrhea. It sounds like every time Desslock says something stupid, he tries to top it.

OverrideB1 said:
And yes Ghan, they did promise multiple solutions to quests in Oblivion -- anyone remember the bullshit spouted about how to get a diamond?
Good point. I didn't even recall. I guess it's a testament to how effectively repeating a lie works.

But hey, that was totally unreasonable. They have now set themselves the realistic goal of three paths: Good, evil and neutral. Awesome. Even better than Fallout, AMIRITE?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
OverrideB1 said:
The problem is, we've heard all this bullshit from Bethesda before. Morrowind was supposed to be a quantum step up from Daggerfall. While it was an okay game -- I got several months of fun out of it with various mods -- it was hardly the jaw-dropping spectacle we'd been promised. Then came Oblivion: again, according to the dickwads at Bethesda, it was supposed to be way better than Morrowind. We all saw just how well that turned out.

And yes Ghan, they did promise multiple solutions to quests in Oblivion -- anyone remember the bullshit spouted about how to get a diamond? We were told there were dozens of ways to get it -- in the end, it all devolved down to fighting. As did every damn' quest in the game.

So this much touted multiple paths in FO3? Probably not going to bring back nostalgic memories of games of yore.

Radient AI? Yeah, great. Instead of standing staring at a wall for days on end, now they'll stand staring at a radioactive wall for days on end. Big fucking whoop.

So far nothing I've heard about FO3 fulls me with anything other than that resigned feeling of "Ahhh well, there goes another great franchise".

As to Morrowind: I did like it better than DF, sue me. IIRC, they said there would be multiple aproaches, mostly (although there are a few quests that have multiple solutions, in a loose sense). Well, to an extent that is true, you can fight or sneak/steal. Occasionally you can in fact use RAI to have an unusual quest solution, sometimes even random events that are kind of cool although they are not really quests. Was it overhyped, most certainly. I hate it too. Lie? Not really, although certainly playing with our hopes.
Anyway, people here already said they didnt beleive a word Betheda said about Oblivion, so where is the problem :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom