Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ideal Crawler?

Disconnected

Scholar
I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, but..

I'd like a dungeon crawler with something like proper ecology and randomly generated dungeons. And I'd like it to be turn based. Preferably with rules based on a PnP system. I'd also like it to have purdy grafix, but I suppose anything other than ASCII would be acceptable.

Does anything like that exist?

If not: why the hell not?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Disconnected said:
If not: why the hell not?
Because a proper ecology adds realism which creates addtional work for the designers and no corresponding fun or gameplay for dungeon crawlers.

But why Spore doesn't have proper ecology, when it's not only relevant but a badly needed gameplay component, is a good question to ask.

Disconnected

Scholar
Lord Chambers said:
Because a proper ecology adds realism which creates addtional work for the designers and no corresponding fun or gameplay for dungeon crawlers.
I'm not talking about ultra realism, just a fair attempt at creating an illusion of dungeons existing independently of the guy(s) with gold fever.

IMO it would add to both fun & gameplay. At least, it does when playing PnP crawls. It requires a lot more of the hero(es). Video game-wise, I think Dungeon Keeper is pretty solid evidence that some sort of ecology adds both fun & gameplay.

But why Spore doesn't have proper ecology, when it's not only relevant but a badly needed gameplay component, is a good question to ask.
I fail to see how Spore needs it more than a crawler. Mind, I've only seen it in action, never actually played it.

Fenril

Scholar
Wtf are you talking about? SimEarth meets Nethack?

Try that survivor roguelike with the awful real photos of some nordic dude with long hair.

spectre

Arcane
Diablo 2 with Median 2008 mod.

Hmm. Gonna have to check this out.

To OP - try Adom, look past the ascii. Should be almost heavan.

Fenril said:
Wtf are you talking about? SimEarth meets Nethack?

Try that survivor roguelike with the awful real photos of some nordic dude with long hair.

If i understand him well, he is talking more about something like this...

Take Dungeon Keeper 2, for an example. Create the biggest, most eficient, most automated "pet dungeon" you can. Now study the design: It is functional. A place created not only for heroes to come slaughter the little buggers living there and steal treasure, but with an inherent logic. You will have diferent areas for diferent creatures, you will have isolated the species that hate each other, the passageways will be designed to improve efficiency and not to make adventurers lost, traps and guardpost will be in the most strategical places, not the most "original" ones. You will see diferent kinds of creatures tend to cluster more in certain areas, use some passageways more than others, choose this "eating place" instead of that other, etc. Things like that: It is not a randomly generated deathtrap with some rooms, some passages, some traps, some treasure chests and some monsters just thrown around. Is a city, or a town, or the fantasy equivalent of a terrorist base. Something like that.

Now imagine you being the hero that comes to attack it when you call for an attack to test the design. Notice how the thing is completely different to the dungeons in any dungeon crawler you have ever played. Those are made as deathtraps and "challenges", stupidly complex mazes and "lets use every square on the grid" sistems, without any logic concerning the internal works of the dungeon, the creatures there living, the groups there reunited, or their suposed objectives.

Lemunde

Scholar
I somewhat agree that most randomly generated dungeons seem too random. There's no rhyme or reason to how they're made. But some might say that's part of their charm. I think if someone took the time to do it right you could have a randomly generated dungeon that looks and functions the way a hand made dungeon would. I don't think it's that hard of a concept, it just takes a bit of work.

Monolith

Prophet
Disconnected said:
I'm not talking about ultra realism, just a fair attempt at creating an illusion of dungeons existing independently of the guy(s) with gold fever.
Sounds similar to what Dungeon Hero is supposed to be like. Dungeons inhibited by different creatures forming societies and the player an intruder disturbing the peace. What it finally will look like is yet to be seen as it's still in development. From what I've read it seems that instead of getting your missions from the good human folks outside, you'll get them from goblins now.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Median XL just finished beta apparently. Curious if anyone around here has played it.

http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/

Never played these mods but I hear that they are fun dungeon crawlers, is it worth it to reinstall Diablo 2 to play? Keep i mind I never really cared for Diablo 2 to begin with, but lately I've been wanting to get into dungeon crawlers.

Disconnected

Scholar
The Rambling Sage said:
If i understand him well[...]
You do. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Kos_Koa said:
Median XL just finished beta apparently. Curious if anyone around here has played it.
Yes, it's cool but not exactly what I was looking for.

Multi-headed Cow

Caveman said:
Diablo 2 with Median 2008 mod. best roguelike game ever.
Better than Nethack? Sir, I take offense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom