Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I wish there was a KOTC module maker...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd make a neat level 2 - 10 adventure. How about you? I just adore the engine. Anyone know of any mod-projects or editors?

Fezzik

Cipher
The KotC guy's next game is going to have a module editor (check out the info on it if you haven't, I'm excited), but besides that haven't heard anything.

Eyeball

Arcane
A KOTC2 with more classes, more races and a mission editor would most likely be the best RPG of the 2010s, hands down.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Kaanyrvhok said:
Can you increase party size?

KotC Forum said:
Re: Some thoughts about KotC2

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

Well, maybe some modules will allow six characters instead of four, but yeah, on the whole I think that more than four characters doesn't make things better. First, the fewer characters you have, the more tactical you have to be with your character selection. Second, six characters take a lot of time to move around in combat. Third, all battles need to be scaled up a bit. And fourth, challenge ratings for D&D monsters are based on a party of four so it's simpler to adjust difficulty with a party of four.

Looks like a yes in made modules but a no in the shipped game.

I didn't know they were releasing an editor. That is interesting news.

zeitgeist

Magister
Has the new visual style (and more importantly sprite/tile size and screen resolution) for KotC2 been announced yet? I know there's been talk of an increased resolution and a completely new style, but all I've seen were those mockups a while ago.

If there's really going to be an editor, keeping the low-res sprites and tiles from the first game would be a much better option, since that way many more players could make custom ones and edit existing ones without them looking too out of place.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
zeitgeist said:
Has the new visual style (and more importantly sprite/tile size and screen resolution) for KotC2 been announced yet? {snip} If there's really going to be an editor, keeping the low-res sprites and tiles from the first game would be a much better option, since that way many more players could make custom ones and edit existing ones without them looking too out of place.
IIRC, the dev said KOTC2 would have "true" top down view (as opposed to the Ultima 7 style top down view) and characters and enemies would be represented with non-animated icons. However, take this with a grain of salt, as this might have changed to something else by now - the comment I'm remembering is from c. a year ago. I'd have preferred the KOTC1 style, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
True top down? How ugly! I love the Ultima 7 style, even if it gives everyone else headaches. I think it's because Ultima 7 was my first real computer game I spent a lot of time.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Found the quote from the dev (the picture in that post is NOT from KOTC2, but an example of what the dev going for). It's from Feb 2010, but I haven't read anything about the dev changing his direction on this, so I'd guess true top down with PC/NPC tokens without animation is how KOTC2 is going to be.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forum ... t=20#p2483

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
No walk animation? You know, it sounds silly, but a walk animation can add a lot to a game- and its lack can make it appear sterile and cheap.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I prefer the Ultima 7 perspective to a "true" top-down perspective, too. From the early screenshots seen last year it looked a lot worse than KotC 1 with its quirky DOS-style graphics.

Maybe it's just nostalgia for the days of yore, but I really like the graphical style of KotC and wouldn't want him to change it.

jancobblepot

Educated
I loved KotC graphics too, I loved Ultima 6 perspective, and I'm not an oldfag like some of you...

Fuck that new perspective.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I WAS FOLLOWING HIS SHIT ON THE THREAD AND I JUST LOVED THE KOTC GRAPHICS I THINK IT WOULD BE SILLY TO CHANGE THEM

BROS IF HE JUST DID EXTRA CLASSES AND SHIT I WOULD PAY 20 DOLLARS EASILY FOR THE SAME GRAPHICS

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I did not mind them either, and even liked them at times. Even though I never really liked this particular perspective. I got used to it in a matter of minutes, though.

Still, I got used to the NWN2 camera in a matter of minutes whilst some Codexers feel dirty after what it's done to them to this day.

Can't wait for the module editor, KotC is very bro, and the gfx would lend themselves to module-making just fine.

Eyeball

Arcane
In case the dev reads these boards. Dear Dev:

NO! The KOTC1 perspective was fucking PERFECT. It made it clear just what kind of enemy you were facing and what way they were facing while still giving you good tactical overlook of the situation. With a clear top-down perspective, it will be hard to tell the difference between enemies and it will be significantly less visually appealing.

Look up YouTube videos of the 90ies game Dark Legions if you don't believe me. The tactical map allowed you to move your awesomebadassedly rendered legions of sorcerers, monsters and mercenaries around on a angular view that fully displayed the great art of these characters, but once you actually entered combat it switched to a top-down action view that was visually extremely disappointing.

Please, keep it as in KOTC1. Top down for this game would be :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom