Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I went insane and am thinking

CrimHead

Scholar
100+ mods

famous_facepalm_11.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
SCO said:
Actually MWSE still doesn't work (neither MGE obviously). No code modification that requires a dll injection (filthy virus technique) works (this means almost all things produced by timeslip), and it's not because of process address space randomization, because i turned that off.
So no ddfix, MWSE, OBSE, and some other things.
Fuck it, at least i have no virus or antivirus, or oblivion thankfully.
Well, at least this limits your mod list somewhat.
:smug:

hal900x

Augur
I went back and checked to see if I was imagining things, but nope: several of you are indeed running LGNPCs. Damnit people, I trusted you. Just got hit with another wall of badly written exposition dump. It's not all terrible, but put it this way: there is never any doubt (and this is my first playthrough) whether it's Bethesda or the modder's writing, and that isn't good. Unfortunately I now have had a fair amount of journal entries and a few quests from LGNPCs. I am wondering how bad it would be to try and remove it now.

Ruprekt

Scholar
You're right but I can live with the poor parts of LGNPC because I have no qualms about telling NPCS to fuck off if I find them annoying.

It's the thing that draws me to TES style open world games, I guess. You aren't compelled to be a completist.

- Or is this perverse on my part? That I install mods partly so I can turn down the quests?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you talking about tel fyr's wizard "daughters"/lovers?

I really thought that was in the original.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Use wrye mash to repair your savegame after disabling the mods if you want them out.

roll-a-die

Magister
hal900x said:
So what do those who have tried it think of LGNPCs? I just installed it (all of them). I'm not sure I should have. Some of it reeks of having been written by sweaty teen fanboys. Dark Elf women like lots of sex, be careful fucking too many of your hot bitch servants, hurr hurr. Not to mention apostrophes where they should not be, God fucking damnit. On the other hand the relentless generic responses in vanilla get old really fast.
Lore wise fucking everything is what Dark Elf females do until they hit about their 300th year.

DraQ

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
hal900x said:
So what do those who have tried it think of LGNPCs? I just installed it (all of them). I'm not sure I should have. Some of it reeks of having been written by sweaty teen fanboys. Dark Elf women like lots of sex, be careful fucking too many of your hot bitch servants, hurr hurr. Not to mention apostrophes where they should not be, God fucking damnit. On the other hand the relentless generic responses in vanilla get old really fast.
Lore wise fucking everything is what Dark Elf females do until they hit about their 300th year.
Lore wise the lore is inherently fallible and this stereotype of Dark Elf females originates in Daggerfall, and has been shaped by relatively few Dark Elves living there, including nobles with really turbulent bigraphy.

In other words, we dunno.
:smug:

Though the posts concerning quality of LGNPCs make a bit less sad about it not being available in Polish.

hal900x

Augur
I'm not quibbling with the lore, nor did I mean for that one example to be the focus of my discontent. It's the presentation. Nothing wrong with a good love triangle story/quest, if you allow the story to spool out as the game proceeds. What was stupid is having a single NPC telegraph 8 quests in a torrent of exposition (Tel Uvirith stronghold). The sexy servants thing was one of them, and the foreshadowing was ridiculous: "HEY, you are gonna get a bunch of hot servants, you'll fuck them, and there will be jealousy! There will be a quest about it!". Derp. Often, instead of folllowing the game's style of a paragraph or two, then needing to click another topic to find out more, you get a rambling 4-6 paragraph dump of foamy-mouthed fanfic all in one go. Breaks what immersion there is in a big hurry, especially when there is bad grammar.

If I sound too picky, just play it. You'll see what I mean. It's not heinous, it's just very obviously not part of the game "Morrowind".

But you are all absolutely right: it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. You either tolerate a slew of generic NPC's, rushing from one to the other to see who has a unique quest topic (which then yields only a few sentences of quest text), or you tolerate the failings of LGNPCs. Part of the problem is I see what this mod could have been. Huge potential, mediocre execution. It's a great idea, the technical implementation is very good, it's thoroughly tested and so forth. It's just that they got "Dark Master" and "Syco Fox" to write the text.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Some of the LGNPC mods are better than others, I agree that the Telvanni part about the sex was ridiculous. The Ald-ruhn one, on the other hand, integrates really well and fleshes out the Redorans brilliantly, I had to go and check at times whether some of the quests were vanilla ones that I'd missed.

hal900x

Augur
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Some of the LGNPC mods are better than others, I agree that the Telvanni part about the sex was ridiculous. The Ald-ruhn one, on the other hand, integrates really well and fleshes out the Redorans brilliantly, I had to go and check at times whether some of the quests were vanilla ones that I'd missed.

I just ran into an Argonian at Rat in the Pot that made me facepalm so hard, I am now uninstalling them all. His rambling back story is one thing, forcing my character to make weird, moralizing responses to advance it is another. There are probably multiple writers for Ald'ruhn tho. Bottom line: generic NPC's suck, destroying immersion sucks more, especially in a sandbox like Morrowind. Fuck these mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom