Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

i know i am late, but what caused Kirkbride to left beth?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
been wondering, if he's still here and in charge of general design/writing, oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 and 4 would be at least on par with morrowind. he's behind all the depth contained in TES lore (which current bethesda dev didn't even respect/understand their own lore)

i hear he's still involved in making several in-game books for skyrim. plus he seems to leave the gaming industry wholly. last thing i heard from him is the C0DA stuff

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
My assumption was that he left so he could have the freedom to work on whatever he wanted. He still contributes to the games though, for example, Mankar Cameron (Oblivion's antagonist) was written by him as were the mythic dawn books. He recently posted up a skyrim lore design document too and the whole thing with the painted cows is apart of his lore as well.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ted Peterson wrote majority of TES lore books. Kirkbride just added the Vivec fetishism and Pelinal books.

Think he wrote the Mysterium Xarxes in Oblivion, prolly the worst piece of TES lore ever.

Last edited:
Didn't Kirkbride get a lot of the stuff he worked on in Oblivion cut when they redid the main quest?

Wouldn't know where to look for the details but apparently at an earlier point in development Martin was far more of a gormless idiot you and the Blades were propping up onto the throne and there was that whole questline for the whole Duke of Kvatch thing of which only the signet ring was left. More specifically to Kirkbride though that bit in the commentaries where Ruma was said to have turned from Dagon was panned out in an earlier version of the MQ where according to leftover dialogue and mapmarkers she would have been a member of the blades you'd meet up with at Chorrol and there was apparently more rumors and things to flesh out Mankar who is really underdeveloped in the final version.

Athos

Arcane
Wasn't Kirkbride also a concept artist for Morrowind? I think he was responsible for most of the otherworldly stuff of Vvanderfell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom