Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I don't really like Rise of Nations

Texas Red

Whiner
The city management is pretty sweet, I'll give it that. My issue is combat. In other strategies I could customize my army by favoring certain units to others. In RoN you have to have an exactly the same army all the time to counter different types of units. Units that are being countered can't even put up a challenge because a single or a few hits kills them. In AoE 2, for example, heavy cavalry was the best because in medieval times historically it was the most powerful unit, and it could easily own even pikemen. I hate to micromanage a particular type of units and send them to counter someone while in the end getting only chaos.

I know this game is supposed to be accurate but c'mon, how many different types of units do you have to have? While I learned how the game works, I still had to struggle with remembering the huge number of them and who counters who. I hate this about strategies: in AoM you have cavalry that is good against buildings?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good that you don't play Warcraft 3 in battle.net, that's some serious micromanagement in battles. But it works. And it can be rewarding when pwning a noob.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Well, RoN is a game about macromanagement. I guess it does lack focus by trying to incorporate micromanagement. Micro is fun when done right, like in Starcraft.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
I didn't enjoy it either. The game just doesn't feel, whats the word I'm looking for, dynamic? It's not as dynamic as AoE2.

I find the micro to be simple in Rise of Nations, and most of the time you can just rush for armageddon clock. Then again half the time I play naval island maps and just tech for airforce and bomb the shit out of the remaining cities with navy to kill the AA.

If you play it right since you have unlimited resources, you can fortress up your borders and become impenetrable.

I just figured out what's wrong with the game. Unlimited resources.

Destroid

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
In AoE 2, for example, heavy cavalry was the best because in medieval times historically it was the most powerful unit, and it could easily own even pikemen. I hate to micromanage a particular type of units and send them to counter someone while in the end getting only chaos.

So let me get this straight, you prefer RTS games in which ones single unit is superior to all others?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see a problem with that as long as it is still balanced.. like in Dawn Of War.
The problem appears when you can build a large number of those... like in C&C. Damn, that game is a balancing horror.

1eyedking

Erudite
thesheeep said:
I don't see a problem with that as long as it is still balanced.. like in Dawn Of War.
A game by Relic...balanced?

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom