Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How you're suppose to give feedback to games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Customers are not your QA. Yes, it would be great if every player had the time and energy to report every bug and talk about every design issue, but that's not going to happen.

You're lucky if you get a handful of passionate fans who can share feedback and answer your questions, but even in this case, they're not developers.

Most of them have no clue how the game works under the hood or give a shit about ultra-specific details, so they're not going to write feedback in a way you want and to get to Level 4+ you'll have to ask additional questions, and even then there's no guarantee you'll get all of the answers.
What's this: a deluded dev thinks their opinion matters to others?

It doesn't. I say this with true constructive love: your post is shit bro.

Git gud and good luck!
Deluded or not, he makes games people actually want to play

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
stupid fucker think he can compete with zz's BoingBoing! Beach Volley Robo Girls! HD

J1M

Arcane
The class of "devs" has worked hard to make it clear they are above the players. If you want that quality of feedback, you need to signal to the players in some way that it is worth their time to provide quality feedback.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The class of "devs" has worked hard to make it clear they are above the players. If you want that quality of feedback, you need to signal to the players in some way that it is worth their time to provide quality feedback.

I think this is unfair, I have witnessed a lot of great developers that take feedback very seriously and really try to get the best out of whatever they are doing. It's always the bad apples that stuck out, of course so I understand the sentiment.

J1M

Arcane

I think this is unfair, I have witnessed a lot of great developers that take feedback very seriously and really try to get the best out of whatever they are doing. It's always the bad apples that stuck out, of course so I understand the sentiment.
This is flat out wrong. Most big companies prefer the route of "we don't accept suggestions" over "we own any submissions you make" because they actually think someone will sue them over a game design suggestion.

If you look at GDC or other professional conferences the refrain is groupthink of the flavor "players don't know what they want, only listen to the symptoms they describe, then invent your own 100% original solution even though you don't play your own game all that much".

Don't get me wrong, many players are idiots, but the advice should be to evaluate feedback based on its merits, not to aggregate it and read it like tea leaves.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I have! I was looking forward to streams & Let's Plays of the game, because for me a large part of the fun of making games is to create content that I hope amuses or surprises the players. Seeing those reactions in an LP or stream is very rewarding and satisfying, although those often also highlight spots that are unclear or don't work as well when they turn up. Seeing a player get frustrated at the game is useful feedback even if it does feel bad at times (and for a good reason!)
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._hempuli_the_developer_of_baba_is_you_ask_me/

Warhawk47

Literate
Product vs. Art. Can't stress this enough. The player is (almost) always wrong when it's an issue of art. When it's a product, their degree of right-ness is directly proportional to the number of customers repeating the complaint, measured against the resources needed to fix it and the potential longer-term fallout of failing to do so. That's all. Business decisions trump both creative and personal ones when it's a business. A lot of devs aren't trained in that respect, from the looks of it, which is why PR tries to tell them to keep their mouths shut in public forums like this one.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
This is flat out wrong. Most big companies prefer the route of "we don't accept suggestions" over "we own any submissions you make" because they actually think someone will sue them over a game design suggestion.

I did not refer to "big companies" but developers as individuals. That there is way more room for reason and feedback for a indie dev (team) is part of the nature of things.

I had considered to edit my above post to avoid exactly such a statement but thought it was more than evident that I am not talking about gigantic corporate dev teams, where such devs might still exist, mind you, but have no leeway to decide anything either, as they are just a cog in the machine.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Prosper: pls help me give me feedback
People: your game's not very good
Prosper: FUCK YOU GUYS
Don't forget that when some tried to give him constructive feedback on Steam why his game isn't good he banned them :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom