Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you like your adventure? Portable please.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Allright, I know there are several folks around these dramatic parts of the interweb that enjoy adventure games. Some probably even grew up on them like I did. For those that remember the good old times of the SCUMM games, and carry their DS in their pocket like VD's ban stick, there are good news abound: SCUMM VM does officially support the DS (for a list of compatible games look here).

Here are some videos of it in action.

I recently blew through DotT and Sam & Max, and it works like a charm for the most part. Due to the smaler screen of the DS there are some quirks when it comes to the interface, but nothin that's a deal breaker in any way. So get going and enjoy your SCUMM adventure on the road!

Nedrah

Erudite
For some reason, I rather enjoyed <A HREF="http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933043.asp">Room215</a>
until I burned out a bit towards the end. However, give it a try if you want, it makes rather good use of the medium. Not comparable to scumm games, though.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
A friend of mine praised this game like the second comming, so I gave it a try. While interesting in some ways, my lasting impression was that the game would become somewhat tedious after a while. I don't know, there was the feeling of "you can't do that... yet" troughout that made me not want to continue.

Nedrah

Erudite
Ivy Mike said:
A friend of mine praised this game like the second comming, so I gave it a try. While interesting in some ways, my lasting impression was that the game would become somewhat tedious after a while. I don't know, there was the feeling of "you can't do that... yet" troughout that made me not want to continue.

Yes, that's exactly the big problem with the game.
You may have the right idea, but you need to do some insignificant (to the problem at hand) task before you can execute it. It's still a nice little game, although I have to admit I sometimes got so frustrated with it, I got myself a few nudges from a walkthrough.
When I did, I never got that feeling of "Man, I COULD have thought of that myself". It was more like "D'uh... good thing I didn't spend more time trying to think of that.

Wow, I'm sounding a little negative all of a sudden, huh?

Did I mention it's still a pretty cool, albeit flawed, game imo?

peak

Scholar
Hotel Dusk was more flawed than cool, sadly. It had some great ideas but felt very restrained in everything from the story to gameplay. As if the developers originally wanted a more serious story, but were forced by Nintendo to tone it down to make some rating. Mr. Kyle Hyde started out real bad ass, hung over and all that, but in the end it felt as if he had become some father-figure to everyone staying in the hotel, for an example.

As for the gameplay, some seriously good use of DS capabilities are in the game, but underneath it all everything is pretty much a matter of exploring every possible location until you find the next plot point. Not figuring stuff out in a smooth and logical way, the way a real mystery should present itself. I wish I could recommend Hotel Dusk to anyone, but I can't. Cing doesn't have what it takes to make a coherent experience yet :/

I do wish the DS would get more serious AG:s as the platform should be perfect for it with the stylus. I also enjoy the Phoenix Wright series for what it is even though it shares most flaws of Hotel Dusk, but is otherwise better in every aspect. Maybe I'll get a flash card and ScummVM on it at least. Wonderful stuff.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Very cool Ivy Mike.

I loaded this up onto my son's DS last night with BaSS, MI1 & 2. The music wouldn't work - apparently I need the music from the CD versions... and I only had floppy versions. ;)

This is more for playing in bed than on the road since I only have access to the DS at night. I had no idea that I've forgotten so much about the MI games. I think it might be a while before my son is ready to play them as he's only 8, but I'm curious as to what he'll think of these oldies.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
peak said:
I do wish the DS would get more serious AG:s as the platform should be perfect for it with the stylus. I also enjoy the Phoenix Wright series for what it is even though it shares most flaws of Hotel Dusk, but is otherwise better in every aspect. Maybe I'll get a flash card and ScummVM on it at least. Wonderful stuff.

Admittedly, not what this topic is actually about, but I enjoy Phoenix Wright quite a bit as well... the court sections, at least. I've been trying to find games with similar gameplay to those, but it's difficult.
I'll probably get a flash card for Scumm games. Eventually.

Hory

Erudite
No portable device beats GP2X for retro-gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom