Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you balance these elements?

Repressed Homosexual
I want to make a blobber one day, with some fantasy elements, but I also have another pet project. I don't know if it could ever come to fruition, but basically it would be isometric, turn-based, and the theme would be World of Darkness/Cthulhu but without the supernatural, and with a hint of cyberpunk.

Basically I'm wondering if you think it's possible to make a game set in the real world where nothing supernatural or overly unrealistic happen, and still design decent and varied gameplay mechanics. I'm not talking about something that is entirely realistic, but at least that would mostly be plausible.

I like such vulnerability in games. To some extent, I feel a bit insulted that in a typical shooter after getting shot at 5 times you can just cover for 10 seconds and keep fighting unhinged. Likewise, I doubt that someone would take a baseball bat and hit a thug a bunch of times wantonly. Basically what I mean is, what if there was an adventure in a society like ours, but where actions have very real consequences.

Do you think it would ever be doable without making the system too convoluted or frustrating? I've played a lot of GURPS, and this is a system where you have to be very careful because the slightest mistsake or critical hit can get you maimed permanently. I'm not necessarily looking for something that realistic, but yet with more plausibility, because then it would be easier for a hypothetical player to identity with the situation at hand.

What I thought of would be a game where the combat would be entirely focused on a variety of martial techniques, and on occasion a few objects in the environment. Guns are very rare and if someone wields one people get scared because these are very deadly. There could be some sort of "Will system", which means the degree to which someone is willing to perform potentially lethal actions.

I also remember the old Rainbow Six games which had a "rewind" system, meaning that the action could be rewinded a few times when someone got hit.

Lastly, I remember someone once saying that turn-based combat sucked for non-fantasy universes because there weren't enough options in them. This got me thinking... wouldn't a system like the one I describe above get hold fast? Or maybe there would be other way to add variety and randomness?

the theme would be World of Darkness/Cthulhu but without the supernatural, and with a hint of cyberpunk

I don't quite understand. What makes a setting like Cthulhu or WoD if it has no supernatural?

Considering the whole idea/post is based on that premise I find it difficult to think any further on this topic

Vagiel

Augur
Same premise but replace vampires and old ones with science and military experiments, maybe.

Anyway, i like your idea but i think mixing a blobber with a realistic setting, as the one you describe, would be a little difficult since blob games usually are dungeon crawlers which implies many monsters, character builds and abilities something that i believe would be very hard to mix well with realism.

Since the game you describe is supposed to be so realistic, combat should be avoided by the player and be should be somewhat rare. So, a complex system would go to waste. I think a much simpler system, maybe something like bloodlines, where one shot=kill would serve just fine. To compensate for the lack of combat add a heave mix of adventure elements and you got yourself at least one buyer.

eugene2k

Novice
a game set in the real world where nothing supernatural or overly unrealistic happen
Fallout doesn't seem either supernatural or unrealistic. Also, it doesn't matter whether abilities a character has are supernatural or enabled by using gadgets.

Repressed Homosexual
Vagiel said:
Same premise but replace vampires and old ones with science and military experiments, maybe.

Anyway, i like your idea but i think mixing a blobber with a realistic setting, as the one you describe, would be a little difficult since blob games usually are dungeon crawlers which implies many monsters, character builds and abilities something that i believe would be very hard to mix well with realism.

Since the game you describe is supposed to be so realistic, combat should be avoided by the player and be should be somewhat rare. So, a complex system would go to waste. I think a much simpler system, maybe something like bloodlines, where one shot=kill would serve just fine. To compensate for the lack of combat add a heave mix of adventure elements and you got yourself at least one buyer.

For the record, the blobber would be something separate. The project I describe would be isometric.

And what I meant by bringing up world of darkness were some elements of it relating to the themes and atmosphere: the nightly urban environment, the decaying morals, the exploration of dark abandoned buildings and places, the sense of tension and confusion, the loneliness... by removing fantasy elements, my take is that a player would be immersed much more, since it would be plausible to perceive the game as something that really could happen to you, which you got dragged into out of the blue, and which makes you potentially put your life at stake.

I agree that ultimately if I go ahead with the project I should try to put less emphasis on combat or make it less frequent. However I really would like to include a sense combat often being a regularly available option, although a dangerous one.

There would be a party early on that would grow increasingly, with some of the NPCs met along the way being recruitable, and throughout the game there would be various confrontations with some thugs, gang members, and other people with various agendas.

I still do not know what I will do, I might just be musing aloud. I am a programmer but I have very very little experience and knowledge of any language that would be useful for game programming. The blobber project could be more easily doable since there is an RPG maker plug-in that allows you to make blobbers. For what I have actually described I have been meaning to see if I can learn Unity3D.

Maybe I would just give it to various friends I have, or random onlookers, since I would probably have no means to balance the whole thing thoroughly, and I might only use placeholder or free assets.

Even if it is to lead to nothing, at least I think that the idea is worth examining.

Vagiel

Augur
You could try looking into syndicate http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/syndicate and think about turning it into more rpgish i think the engine has become open source but i am not really sure. Also shadowrun for snes (i know the mega drive version is considered superior but i find the snes one more classy) might be a source of inspiration.

Don't worry about competition or a finished product, i think as long as you are having fun some research and some preliminary work can prove valuable experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom