Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How much do you care for the incline/decline pf cRPGS?

How much do you care for the incline/decline pf cRPGS?

• I grew up when cRPGs slowly formed out of several Wargame emulations, the genre does fine today.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Although I know where the genre evolved from, I am dissapointed in the direcetion the genre takes to

• It's sad what goes for RPG these days but I just try to look for good games I enjoy.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It's pretty shitty that there are no games comparable to the cRPGS at the end of the 90ies today.

• Even though there might be some decline lately, I think RPGs are still alive and kicking. I am looki

• The "RPG" genre was never dead nor alive, it depends on the particular game.

• There never was a certain era of particular good RPgames. I only liked some certain games and don't

• I never liked cRPGs.

• RPGs today are fine, people are exagarrating.

• Modern RPGs are ok, but I don't like certain Design Decisions.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The future lays in bastards of RPG elemts and other genres. I'm fine with that.

• I am mostly playing other genres and only like some "flavor" rpg elements. I am not bother

• Total voters

Cassidy

Arcane
Except for the hopes AoD and Dead State don't become the next Grimoires, I pretty much stopped bothering with the genre, and play mostly strategy games right now. I don't really care anymore. It's dead, and unless the gaming sector goes into economic meltdown and an yet to come nexgen shit flops epically, toppling the big names that ruined everything and leaving a huge vacuum, it's going to stay this way and only worsen in the future. Same with music,TV series, movie, etc because the decline is total and inevitable, and the masses are becoming stupider with every generation.

Look at the bright side: the more the masses become idiotic, the greater the amount of idiocy we may laugh of. Popamole will grow even more retarded but the amount of free comedy to watch will rise tenfold.

Interesting

Educated
It lacks another option:

"If Im pirating all of them, does my opinion matter anyway?"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Crooked Bee said:
I do agree there is and always room for improvement, though. One would think, for one, that dungeon crawlers would be getting ever more complex and sophisticated. Instead, some of the older ones still remain the best. And it's the same thing with exploration- and problem-solving cRPGs. Take 2400 A.D., for instance: one would think a more complex title improving on the same basic premise, with more options and ways to discover things, would've been made by now. Instead, all we got is hand-holding, stupid storyfaggotry and animated cutscenes, so that even shitty older titles are more challenging and interesting to play than today's mainstream ones.
Exactly, the famous :decline: .

There were never really a massive number of really good CRPG's, it always seemed like a genre that needed improved technology to be what it should be. Hah, and look at where we are, we got less, not more. I remember thinking yeah, wouldn't it be great if you could actually blow up walls for alternate routes, even demolish buildings on top of people? Or how about building your own evil wizard's tower and doing the routine, gather power, minions, do some cliche villain stuff? Wouldn't it be cool to have massively complex puzzles about space and time where you do weird stuff with physics? I suppose a lot of what I want to see could have been done even then, so by my logic we should now see pretty awesome things.

But hell, the vast gulf between what could be done and what they actually go with has just increased with the massively improved technology. Just look at the popular franchises of the era :

We have Mass Effect, a heavily story-based popamole shooter game where all you do is play minigames and shoot people. You don't even get to actually fly a spaceship, just some stupid deathtrap car. What the hell? Where's all the cool sci-fi stuff? Why can't you do anything in this game? It would matter dick all if it would be set in the WW2 for all you get to do. It would probably be better that way, at least you'd get nazis instead of ancient evil robots. Seriously, they get to make a new setting and story and that's what they're going with. Ancient evil. No interesting reason why the robots do what they do, instead they go with stupid. And this is the developer who everybody praises for their writing! Why? This is so boring!

I won't go to any length about DA, I wasn't interested at all with what they were going for, just boring standard fantasy with ancient evil, singleplayer wow mechanics and the chosen one. What can you say about Bioware except that they are a fucking boring b-developer house? How the hell can anyone have so little imagination, or maybe balls?

So we have Oblivion, a hiking simulator which is probably the most boring game idea ever conceived. Enough has been said about that one as well, a game where the cool stuff you can do amounts to pushing corpses in weird positions. Since Fallout 3 is the same game but with guns it's not necessary to talk about it.

Oh then there's Obsidian. So you get to make a spy rpg. Cool, sounds a lot like driving fast cars with missile launchers behind the driving lights, using weird gadgets in creative ways, going about investigating, finding clues, paths, that sort of thing. Yeah right, sounds like popamole and minigames. Fuck you Obsidian, it is no wonder you're known as Bioware the lesser.

Then there's Twitcher series which is solely about QTE combat and running, also fun spacebar mashing minigames in the second installment. Why do I get a feeling that CRPG's of the era are in fact the dumbest, least varied and most primitive games of all?

And the future looks no better. Absolutely no improvement in anything except graphics, and even that is debatable.

Renegen

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
blah blah blah

We have Mass Effect,

WTF? Have you ever played a cRPG before?

Yes, Mass Effect isn't an RPG, but don't tell that to the Codex. It seems everytime Bioware (or Bethesta...) needs to take a shit on us, everyone starts threads about it. Until that ends, everything they make are RPGs, because somehow their games are still enjoyed alot around here.

ps. Risen and Divinity 2. Learn to appreciate games that aren't hyped like crazy. Put that monocle back on your eye young man, and distance yourself from the hype-sensitive commoners.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not many rpgs are made nowadays, a lot of $ went into the mmorpg in the late 90s, the few rpgs that are made nowadays have their developers getting bashed for not living up to standards and their consumers bashed for liking them.
Sums up much of the Codex. :\

Jaesun said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
blah blah blah

We have Mass Effect,

WTF? Have you ever played a cRPG before?

Buh, what? I described the game in the very next sentence. That's what we get these days instead of complex RPG's. Hey remember when beat-em-up games meant something like Double Dragon, and how nothing like that is made anymore and instead beat-em-ups are all boring one-on-one tournament fighters.

Erzherzog

Magister
cboyardee said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
cboyardee said:
Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (which I made ; ) )
So... what influenced you to create the setting of that game :) ?
Haha, wow, I'm surprised anyone here has heard of it.

Oh come on, you have to give the 'Dex a little more hardcore core man.

We had a few discussions on it even. I think there was a general idea that it was, at the very least, an amusing idea and therefore refreshing.

Needs a more negative version of option A: 'I grew up when cRPGs slowly formed out of several Wargame emulations, the genre does fine today.'

Somethnig like: 'I grew up when cRGPS slowly formed out of several Wargame emulations, and it is sad to see how the genre is regressing'.

I started off with Mondblutian games (Wiz 1-3 were my 'stock-standard time-killers' in primary school, as well as the first few Ultimas), and graduated to PS:T/BG2/IWD2/FA/Arcanum. I even remember my teacher calling my parents in to tell them I was constantly falling asleep in class - consequently my folks kept an eye on me the next night, and caught me creeping downstairs to play Wizardry as soon as I thought everyone else in the house had gone to bed (typically, play some after I'd done my homework, than using the aforementioned method would play from just befpre midnight through to 6 in the morning - not bad for a 6 year old!.

Same with Ultma 2, though later installlments have measures to prefent an easy grinded victory through save-scummint

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom