Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOTU Wrap Report

DemonKing

Arcane
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/496/496654p1.html

Some interesting stuff for future directions...my favourite:

We learned a lot from Hordes. First of all, we learned that the NWN toolset is very powerful, but places a couple limitations on the creative process for our designers. Despite the fact we have hundreds of possibilities for area and level design, our designers are limited by using a tile-based system. It is costly to create a unique room or area for the designers. In the future, we will not create generic tiles for the designers, but plan out levels, and build them in detail.

Can I be the first to say: YEEEESSSS!

Hopefully we can go back to the beautiful hand-rendered look of the IE games in future CRPGs. I never liked playing NWN so much as every module looked like it was made from the same set of identical lego blocks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bah. Other than the blockiness of some things; I found the graphics to be fine. mUch better than the piece of crap MW's graphics. And, besdies, for people who supposedly don't care about graphics you sure complain a lot about them when it comes to BIO's games. Hmm.. Not surprising the more I think about it. Hehe.

Also, as VD stated, the News Section beat you to this unimportnat newsbeat.

You lose.

VD wins.

:twisted: :P :twisted:

DemonKing

Arcane
Volourn said:
Bah. Other than the blockiness of some things; I found the graphics to be fine. mUch better than the piece of crap MW's graphics. And, besdies, for people who supposedly don't care about graphics you sure complain a lot about them when it comes to BIO's games. Hmm.. Not surprising the more I think about it. Hehe.

I don't have a problem with the animation/character graphics, but with the tile-sets. My personal preference is for hand-crafted backgrounds rather than tile-sets, that's all. I find them much more atmospheric.

Also, as VD stated, the News Section beat you to this unimportnat newsbeat.

You lose.

VD wins.

:twisted: :P :twisted:

Ummm...ok...if it's that important to you.

I bow down before you, VD or whoever else wants me to. YOU "WIN". :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
DK, I agree with that; but again, you missed the point.

And, hey, I didn't win. VD did. I'm just a spectator in the competition. :cool:

DemonKing

Arcane
Volourn said:
DK, I agree with that; but again, you missed the point.

The point being that some people are overly critical of Bio games? Don't lump me in with the rest of the Bio-haters please. I've enjoyed every Bio CRPG released so far, although some (BG, BG2, KOTOR) more than others (NWN + expansions). The problem is their not so good stuff looks really bad in comparison to their really good stuff.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You missed the point again. Please try one more time so I don't have to spell it out. :shock:

DemonKing

Arcane
Volourn said:
You missed the point again. Please try one more time so I don't have to spell it out. :shock:

Me dumb...what is your point then? That the MW toolset is worse than the NWN one? If so, then I agree.

Sorry - maybe I'm having a brain drain today.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ahh.. I probably just suck as I gave too much info. Hedhe. My main point is that suppsoedly according to you (and others) graphics don't means quat and people who complain about poor graphics are foolish yet I often read many people here complaining about NWN's graphics like it's a cardinal sin to have "poor" graphics and that NWN's is the "worst". Now, I know youa ren't the worst offedner for this; but still just a pint. Graphics are irrelavant ya know. No need complaining about something irrelevant, after all. :wink:

DemonKing

Arcane
Volourn said:
Ahh.. I probably just suck as I gave too much info. Hedhe. My main point is that suppsoedly according to you (and others) graphics don't means quat and people who complain about poor graphics are foolish yet I often read many people here complaining about NWN's graphics like it's a cardinal sin to have "poor" graphics and that NWN's is the "worst". Now, I know youa ren't the worst offedner for this; but still just a pint. Graphics are irrelavant ya know. No need complaining about something irrelevant, after all. :wink:

I've never claimed that graphics are irrelevant. I believe that for a new game to be truely great then it should excel in production values (graphics, sound, music) as well as in story, gameplay etc. Sure I still play a lot of my old CRPGs where I can forgive the old graphics cause the gameplay is still good - but most of these had great graphics at the time of their initial release,

I mean - if you had had the same script/actors of the LOTOR films but production values (special effects, music, sound) akin to Peter Jackson's first films (Bad Taste, Brain Dead, Meet the Feebles in particular) then they would have flopped badly. The same applies to games for me. The best games have good stories/gameplay *and* good graphics.

I think the graphics in NWN are quite good but as I said, I don't find generic tilesets very atmospheric.

Anonymous

Yeah, you suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom