Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Hot damn, does Boomtown ever love KotOR

Spazmo

Erudite
What the hell? Outcast was pretty terrible. The first few levels were just boring and there's a lot of really fucking annoying shit in the later parts. Jedi Academy is JO with all the shit parts taken out.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Exitium said:
All Quake 3 engine games have the propensity to hurt your eyes. Literally. I'm not referring to the ugliness of the graphics, either, because they're far from ugly. I'm talking about the refresh rate - Quake 3's graphics engine is buggy and if you don't know the console code to enable a higher refresh rate you will be playing each and every single one of these games in 60 FPS.

That's not true at all. You're talking about the refresh rate Win XP bug.

It's easy to remedy the bug when a game uses Direct3d, it can be done from windows. But when it uses OpenGL, you have to either use the ingame config setting(not many games provide such an option) or use one of the refresh rate force programs designed for XP.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
What the hell? Outcast was pretty terrible. The first few levels were just boring and there's a lot of really fucking annoying shit in the later parts. Jedi Academy is JO with all the shit parts taken out.

i dunno, its true that outcast has very very anoying first levels (mainly because everything but the saber sucks and you dont get to choose your powers) and that it had a few anoying levels (the must sneak level, jeez i could have turned all those troopers into pulp if i wanted to) in the end, and a few frustrating jumping sesions
but on the other hand academy had a pathetic level design even worse than outcast's, they were short as hell and easy as hell and academy also gets anoying when everyone gets the sabers and you are forced to fight those practicaly random fights which often end on you dead because the ai got a lucky shot and you are forced to use the choke-launch strategy.
I liked the FIRST jedi knight more than the other two, that one had much better levels, weapons and you could customize your powers, the expansion was also allright.

bah i wish lucas arts would stop doing crap and make a GOOD jedi knight, tie fighter, monkey island and full throttle sequel

Psilon

Erudite
Personally, I haven't especially liked any Star Wars FPS since the original Dark Forces. The lightsabers always felt a bit too powerful compared to the other weapons. I have no problem with weapon obsolescence, but the idea of picking up a lightsaber and throwing away everything but the sniper rifle always seems a bit silly. Vader could block single blaster bolts, sure, but he wouldn't need stormtroopers with him if he could take on fifty-to-one odds.

Nightjed

Liturgist
you used the other weapons a lot in jedi knight 1, and anyway, if you play a "jedi role" you "want" a lightsaber, maybe they should have made a more rpgish action game with just the saber, something like crusaders of might & magic

Psilon

Erudite
An all-saber game would be fine with me. The Jedi Knight games feel like shooters to start with and then the combat turns into Morrowind-style sword moves punctuated by the occasional Force power.

That said, another Dark Forces-style game would rock. I want a remake of the Imperial City level!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom