Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Horizon, a 4x Space Strategy game appears on the Horizon.

Mraston

Learned
Tags: iceberg interactive, L30 Interactive, Horizon

sshot020.jpg

There certainly doesn't appear to be a lack of any space 4x strategy games coming out in the near future. Horizon is another soon to be released space strategizer. L30 Interactive have been working on Horizon for the last few years and have just signed a publishing deal with Iceberg Interactive. It's planned for a "Summer" 2013 release, which makes it only a few months away.

There is a screenshot gallery right here. It appears they have gone for a 2D approach and I'm hoping the simplistic graphics means the game is complex where it counts.

There isn't anything that pops out to me as being wildly different from any of the other upcoming space 4x's, but here's a list of the game's self proclaimed unique selling points;
▪ Advanced turn-based tactical combat which many 4X fans have been requesting for years
▪ Unique races including ancient civilizations with highly advanced technology
▪ A Distinct open world system, where ships can explore without artificial limits and where combat can span many turns before concluding
▪ Meaningful diplomacy choices that impact the game outcome
▪ Immersive galaxy storyline with open-ended missions

Mraston

Learned
I guess to invoke the 90's nostalgia.

There's also this little guy;

sshot021.jpg

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Meh, aliens look ugly as crap. Why invest resources into them, when leaving out would be better? Some other screenshots look actually quite decent, but only because the resources can be taken from NASA. I have have used them in 3D graphics, that's why I know how easy Mars textures or a Voyager.3DS is to come by. And in principle, using them in game would be fine, but not beside stuff that looks like ass. There is simply no consistency.

What's with all the space 4xs lately? And why do most suck dick?

I think the lamentable problem is that no one these days has interest in hard science fiction any more, especially not the new generation of game developers. There are some exceptions like Simon Roth, who said he is taking inspiration from 70s movies, but by and large I have lost hope with this genre.

index.php

Arcane
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/236130/view/3683435342983828783
Horizon Summer 2023 update

Horizon Summer 2023 update
August 28

Some of you may be asking why an update now?

Over the years some features were requested many times while some bugs, minor ones may be but that nonetheless came to our attention.

And while we have been very busy working on the successor of Horizon it was always in the back of our mind to do another update to our beloved game.

So this is Part I, the gameplay affecting update for everyone. There will be a second part, an optional pack, more on that as soon as we have it ready.

What's new
. Research speed - can now be customized in play settings at the start. This will allow you to play with different progression speeds and allow for more diverse gameplay, overwriting the default settings
. Fighter Control - fighter squadrons can now be toggled between manual and automated control in combat. The setting is found in game options
. Ship initiative - can now be toggled off to allow each side to take their turn based on faction (whole side plays then the other instead of based on individual ship initiative). The setting is found in game options

Optimizations
. Ship Textures have been further optimized, primarily useful for handheld or tablet devices

Fixes
. Fighters will hover normally, a small glitch was causing them to move too fast while hovering
. Ship selector size will now adjust to the ship size
. Some ship thrusters that weren't showing were fixed (note: not all ships have visible thrusters)
. Non-combat ships are no longer able to be selected (to take control) by clicking on them in combat since they always try to retreat
. Surrendering to another race will no longer display earth destroyed (when playing as humans)
. Sector preview mode will no longer show ship scans by default. You can still hold-down shift to scan
. Continue game from the main menu will no longer be available for incompatible (higher) version saved game files
. Nebulae on background during combat is now slightly less translucent to make things less noisy and make foreground units easier to see
. Unit Movement grid in combat should be sharper and clearer now at all zoom levels
. Added tooltips to Ship Designer to make it easier to understand why certain components wouldn't be available (incompatibilities, limits, etc)
. Combat unit Movement and Power values are now shown in digits on the bars
. Some UI elements in other translations
. Some minor grammatical typos
. Other minor fixes

Removed
. Option to toggle off the Instanced Combat Manager, as this was the default and only recommended setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom