Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic 5.

Andhaira

Arcane
How is it and how does it compare to the earlier editions? So far 3 has been my favorite, though 4 isn't bad as well.

How have the units evolved? Are vampires still as badass as ever? Do heroes enter combat in 5 as they do in 4?

Discuss!!

Micmu

Magister
It's SHIT; campaigns are utter scripted shit, mostly with one or two towns to conquer/own (or none), only one hero advances to the next map (pre-defined main), the game suffers horrendously from the "3D for the sake of 3D" syndrome, resulting in more annoying rotation than playing.

Stick with III. HoMM doesn't get any better.

I still can't believe I actually bought hammers of SHIT expansion for this crap. Wow. Just wow, it's the shittiest expansion to any game of all times.

Suicidal

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
How is it and how does it compare to the earlier editions? So far 3 has been my favorite, though 4 isn't bad as well.

How have the units evolved? Are vampires still as badass as ever? Do heroes enter combat in 5 as they do in 4?

Discuss!!

It's very similar to 3 (7 unit tiers, 7 spaces for units in army, heroes don't participate in combat directly like in 4, magic is not unique to races, upgradeable creatures) but also has some elements of 4 (secret hero skills that can be found if you learn the prerequisite skills, hero moves independently from army).

I liked it, it does some things better than 3 and it does some things worse, the campaigns are fun if you play on the hardest difficulty, the armies are more diversified than in 3, every unit has not only different stats but also different usable and passive abilities.

Vampires are overpowered, especially when used with magic, that way you can steamroll the entire map with 0 losses. Necro campaign was the easiest.

Redlands

Arcane
I rate it on the same level as I do 1: it's somewhat fun, but not great.

The worst thing is that it's in 3D graphics. The city screens is ugly, and takes forever to load and a lot of the graphics are practically useless. Simple stuff like navigating the map becomes obscured through having to rotate the camera.

The faction and monsters are good: the skill system is complex (I think there's a useful application at www.celestialheavens.com that can keep track of it) and the monsters seem to have unique features.

The campaign is a fucking joke in terms of storyline.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still, HoMM pales in comparison to AoW: Shadow Magic. At least with Dwiggs mod, that is.

There are numerous reasons for that, but I'm just gong to state my favourite:
In AoW:SM, additional units of the same type don't just increase health and attack of the already existing unit (which really is the only thing HoMM unit stacking does).

Multi-headed Cow

I lke 5's combat better than 3's, and how the heroes are handled. Kinda like 3's style more though. Wouldn't call 5 shit but I wasn't even much of a fan of 3 so eh. HoMM games in general are just ok.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
if I wanted to fight 1000 trash mob encounters and 1-2 decisive and tactical battles per map I'd play a MMORPG

HOMM gameplay formula is flawed

far more so than a game like AOW where you can't stack 1000 units in one army

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah HoMM games in general are kind of boring. I liked them at first, but then....I just got tired of them real quick. Oops you misjudged whether you could take that neutral stack well or not, you lost too many units which will cost you the game, reload previous save.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom