Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me create a world for my game

Redlands

Arcane
Re music: if you haven't done so already, you could look for freeware/shareware programs to make your own music. I did a quick look, and came up with:

* Anvil Studio
* Click MusicalKEYS
* KB Piano

I've needed to get one for one of the games I'm working on at the moment, so it's handy the topic came up to remind me while I have Internet access. If you search for audio/music composers + freeware, you might find something useful (I haven't tried any, so I can't recommend one yet, unfortunately). It won't help you learn to compose music, but at least you can fiddle around with it a bit.

Re story/lore: most of what I'd have said was already said. However, if you do go for general fantasy races like dwarves, elves, etc., try to differentiate them somewhat from how they are handled usually. An example is the dwemer in Morrowind: they were "dwarves", but not really the typical dwarves. That elf stuff with the tree is a good start. How does the tree give birth to the elves? Do they come out of pods, like peas, maybe?

Also, I'd imagine that a year is far too unrealistic, particularly if you are having to work at it around your current job, education, etc. One of my projects has taken about a year, and it's pretty much just a set of puzzles. Remember, you'll not only have to do the designing, writing, graphics, sound, and music; you'll have to have things working properly. I'm not sure how RPGMaker works, but I'd imagine you'd have to do a lot of coding, which even for short things can become tricky if you can't find the errors.

It's also probably a good thing you've got someone from an English-speaking country to help. Although that's not always helpful, since there are many people who fail at being able to use even one language correctly. But your most of your English is quite reasonable as it is, and it's a good chance to improve it.

Mareus

Magister
I will not start the game epically. Actually the game won't be of epic proportions until... well, let's just say until something happens. I want it to have that Betrayal at Krondor feel to it. It will start by your escape from the dark elves mines, and at first you will just try to get back to your kingdom. I just had to do the lore so the world won't feel bland and so I can add content to the game, like different legends and stories, religions, races, etc.

Also each race will be different from what usually you see in your everday fantasy. Elves like I said would be born in the trees. The child is conceived in the same manner like a human child. But the difference is that a female elf gives birth to a child as soon as angelic soul enters the body of a child. You can imagine it like some sort of a seed in which angelic soul has settled and than it is planted into the tree. You see, elves are direct descendents of angels. The tree nourishes the seed and protects it from harm. Usually the whole process lasts over 50 human years. When the tree opens, the mature elf is born. The idea is to explain why elves are so connected to the nature, why they have the light aura around them and why they know so much about spiritual things, why do they live for thousands of years, why is it a matriarchal society (connection with Sollär), why you don't see any children elves...

Every race will have a unique history. For example dark elves were created from ordinary elves by the lore. You see, when other races appeared, some elves believed that elves are superiour and that they should control and rule over the lower races, due to their divine nature. Those elves had a very low opinion of the lower races and some elves were particulary disguasted with how females were treated by the lower races, how easily corrupted they became, how they easily killed their own kin just so they could satisfy their own primal needs. Those elves easily conquered the lower races and with them they brought their own laws. Although some elves did not agree with this, they did not intervene. This would one day escalate into a war between lower races and the elves. However as the war grew older, the number of elves dwindled while other races joined forces and grew stronger in number. You see, elves were given birth only each 50 years, and although they were extremely powerful, their number was small. Those elves who fought the lower races were forced to use different tactic, like sneaking and ambush and they were forced to hide in the caves and mountains, and some even formed underground civilizations which would one day become dark elves. In the darkness, away from nature and light, their skin became dark as the Dorridar himself and with time their desire for revenge corrupted them completely.

Dwarves, humans... everyone has a unique history, but I won't give up just everything now. Of course some things may change with time.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Best of wishes for your project. It would be nice if you could update on the progress here once in a while, although RPG maker user community like you mentioned before could assist you more fully with your aim. I like what you have so far, the elements of the game's lore are extensive and interesting.

Mareus

Magister
The project is still in development. I haven't given up yet, although the guy that joined has lately been absent... I have been stuck with making a map of the world which is a big pain in the ass. I don't want to do it with RPG maker VX, because the map would look too square. It will look much better if I just make my own hand drawn map, import it into the game and change the character with cursor icon when you enter the world map screen. So you would get something like NWN2 or BG. I was even thinking of using an existing map, like that of The world of Aden and edit it in photoshop, to change it's geography, but it's a slow and painful process. The more I do this project, the more I have a feeling it will have to be an underground project, because I just don't have the talent for drawing my own stuff and creating my own music.

I will post first screen shots in a week I hope.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started a thread not long ago asking for good map-makers. You could torrent Campaign Cartographer, or wait till someone replies there and recommends a good freeware/open-source map making program. Campaign Cartographer is pretty awesome, but it's rather difficult to use and the interface isn't very user-friendly either.

Mareus

Magister
JarlFrank said:
I started a thread not long ago asking for good map-makers. You could torrent Campaign Cartographer, or wait till someone replies there and recommends a good freeware/open-source map making program. Campaign Cartographer is pretty awesome, but it's rather difficult to use and the interface isn't very user-friendly either.

I tried searching for some open source map making softwares, but to my dissapointment they all look very bad. Anyway I am almost done with editing Aden map and for starters it will have to do. I had to erase the names of locations, ...over 100 locations... real pain in the ass job, but I am almost finished and the map looks perfect. Later I will try to change the geography so it doesn't resemble Aden, but I don't know if photoshop is a good tool for that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I said, you could torrent Campaign Cartographer and try that one out. It's a powerful tool, but complicated to use.

Korgan

Arbiter
An idea for the creation myth. God is schizophrenic. Angels and demons tear his mind apart and create the world. It hurts.

Could even tie into the current story. An ancient brotherhood of Zen monks or something wants to cure him and has found a way to do it. All life as we know it would then be absorbed into God's mind again, so they have to be stopped. Teh epic ensues.

kris

Arcane
Mareus said:
Also each race will be different from what usually you see in your everday fantasy. Elves like I said would be born in the trees. The child is conceived in the same manner like a human child. But the difference is that a female elf gives birth to a child as soon as angelic soul enters the body of a child. You can imagine it like some sort of a seed in which angelic soul has settled and than it is planted into the tree. You see, elves are direct descendents of angels. The tree nourishes the seed and protects it from harm. Usually the whole process lasts over 50 human years. When the tree opens, the mature elf is born. The idea is to explain why elves are so connected to the nature, why they have the light aura around them and why they know so much about spiritual things, why do they live for thousands of years, why is it a matriarchal society (connection with Sollär), why you don't see any children elves...

Just a thought. Instead of having them as being Matriarchial I would suggest you have them as a pure female race. In this context it fits very well. That would also help in making them alien to men of other races since this all female race won't understand how men think at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom