Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Grand Theft Auto VI - PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S (Fall 2025)

GTA Springbreakers

State of the art twerking animation, I'm sold

Actually I love Bonnie and Clyde stories, and it fits GTA like a relax fit Trojan.

Spring Breakers. True Romance. Bonnie and Clyde. Badlands. Natural Born Killers. Maybe Boxcar Bertha. I’d kind of assume all these movies will figure into this in some way. Probably some other stuff that generally just involves heist too, since doing stickups seems to be something the game will be build around. Wouldn’t be totally surprised if you could randomly find yourself in a ending of Pulp Fiction kind of situation when holding up some random diner.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Operation Odessa figured into it too...that documentary from a while back about from guys in Florida trying to sell a Soviet sub to some Colombian cartel in the '90s for drug shipments.

They already established a precedent for dishonesty with San Andreas, where you had a criminal protagonist who was a victim of evil cops. Then you had Nico in GTA IV, who was a pretty good guy who occasionally dabbled in mass murder. Good GTA protagonists are sociopaths with not a lot of backstory, but obviously that ship has sailed.

Your Tiktok prediction is probably closest to what'll happen. There'll be some preachy SJW stuff, but probably too unfocused to discern a real agenda.
That whole scene at the beginning of the game with CJ and Tenpenny and the other cops?
All it's missing is Pulaski kneeling on CJ's neck.
"I CAN'T BREATHEEEE!"

I know you guys are European, but San Andreas was very deliberately calling back to Rodney King and the LA Riots of 1992.

It doesn't matter. What I found dishonest is how they portrayed a murdering criminal as a victim, whether because he was black or because they felt they needed that to tell a good story. It's OK to kill random people if you're playing a generic silent sociopath, or even some Tony Montana knockoff, it's just fun and doesn't mean anything; but get us to care about the guy's mother, or how the cops are keeping him down, then his actions gain moral weight. GTA IV picked up this trend and made it even worse.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Does anyone else notice how all the chicks in the trailer have really, and I mean really wide hips?
American culture is African culture.
Not only African, everyone. The white chicks too. It's like they used one model (with wide hips) for every woman.
It's all part of the Africanisation of the West.
Ahem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_figurine

Most have been unearthed in Europe, but others have been found as far away as Siberia and distributed across much of Eurasia.
Most have wide hips and legs that taper to a point.

1920px-Venus_of_Willendorf_-_All_sides.jpg

:smug:

Elttharion

Learned

-The game will be very critical of Woke culture
doubt-press-x.gif

Massive cope, the game will be filled with jabs towards DeSantis and the other Florida republicans. And I say this while not being a fan of the guy. The game was on full production during Covid and the height of the BLM riots, I'll eat my shoes if I see an AAA game produced during those times that was anti woke. I wouldnt be surprised if we have an obvious DeSantis stand in, like Family Guy did with Trump:

images

Häyhä

Arbiter
It doesn't matter. What I found dishonest is how they portrayed a murdering criminal as a victim, whether because he was black or because they felt they needed that to tell a good story. It's OK to kill random people if you're playing a generic silent sociopath, or even some Tony Montana knockoff, it's just fun and doesn't mean anything; but get us to care about the guy's mother, or how the cops are keeping him down, then his actions gain moral weight. GTA IV picked up this trend and made it even worse.

Exactly. Tommy Vercetti in VC is a mobster and a cold-blooded sociopathic criminal, I think he even jokes about it at one point in the game that he's a murdering psycho or something along those lines. Tommy is also a cartoon character, both in his looks and his actions, he happily murders thousands of people some even in almost Tom & Jerry style comedic ways. The violence is so over-the-top that it becomes almost comedic and in many cases it does. Tommy doesn't have a family or basically any actual "human" emotions there to speak of, just greed and lust for murder and revenge.

Now, if you try to take that mass-murder gameplay and somehow cram a sob-story in there about some "poor, poor misunderstood minority/immigrant/what ever" wronged by The Man and society, it becomes ridiculous and totally unbelievable. With Niko in GTA4 for example, his actions are constantly contradicting his character and dialogue in the story, he regrets his past and wants to give up violence, yet he murders hundreds of people with very little insentive. That is also why in GTA4 the Episodes worked way better as stories, since they don't go to that direction at all, like in Lost & Damned you're just this nihilistic murdering biker, fed up with life and everything basically goes to shit and he loses everything he ever loved.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He may have been a sympathetic figure, but he wasn't a good guy, and crime is full of criminals victimizing other criminals. You are getting mad at nuance. :M

911 Jumper

Educated
Ahem...

Most have been unearthed in Europe, but others have been found as far away as Siberia and distributed across much of Eurasia.

Fascinating – I wasn't aware of this. This could be where Rockstar's artists got their inspiration for wide-hip females.

Now, if you try to take that mass-murder gameplay and somehow cram a sob-story in there about some "poor, poor misunderstood minority/immigrant/what ever" wronged by The Man and society, it becomes ridiculous and totally unbelievable, like case in point Niko in GTA4, he's actions are constantly contradicting his character and dialogue in the story. That is also why in GTA4 the Episodes worked way better as stories, since they don't go to that direction at all, like in Lost & Damned you're just this nihilisctic murdering biker and everything basically goes to shit and he loses everything he ever loved.

TLaD I don't have a lot of memories about it, other than that I enjoyed it more than the main game. I haven't played the other expansion. Chinatown Wars was also pretty good, you play as some spoiled Chinese rich kid who doesn't give a fuck about anyone. It felt like a throwback to a more carefree and more gameplay focused era. It's probably the last real GTA game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"poor, poor misunderstood minority/immigrant/what ever" wronged by The Man and society, it becomes ridiculous and totally unbelievable, like case in point Niko in GTA4
What?
Now I admit I haven't touched 4 in a long time
But at what point does Niko ever blame "The Man" for what happened to him?
The closest moment I could remember was that line "War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other." - which makes sense for his character, seeing as he's a cynical Serbian war criminal filled with regrets

He may have been a sympathetic figure, but he wasn't a good guy, and crime is full of criminals victimizing other criminals. You are getting mad at nuance. :M

Pointing out someone's hypocrisy isn't getting mad. And I like San Andreas, but in that case I think it was the start of a very bad trend.

Häyhä

Arbiter
"poor, poor misunderstood minority/immigrant/what ever" wronged by The Man and society, it becomes ridiculous and totally unbelievable, like case in point Niko in GTA4
What?
The closest moment I could remember was that line "War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other." - which makes sense for his character, seeing as he's a cynical Serbian war criminal filled with regrets

Poor wording on my part, I'll edit it to make more sense. I meant Niko's character and his seeming motivations don't work with the context of the gameplay, he wants to forget violence and his past and yet he'll quite happily almost immediately forgets all this and goes along with any murdering come his way.

One-dimensional gameplay works better with one-dimensional characters. There's a reason most classic action movies just show a badass main character killing shit, imagine if Colonel Matrix in Commando started a speech in the middle of the movie about how war is terrible and made him do horrible things, maybe shed a couple of tears etc. It would ruin the movie, all Col. Matrix needs is a plot-device (rescue his daughter) to kill a shit-load of bad guys and look macho while doing it.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What?

Poor wording on my part, I'll edit it to make more sense. I meant Niko's character and his seeming motivations don't work with the context of the gameplay, he wants to forget violence and his past and yet he'll quite happily almost immediately forgets all this and goes along with any murdering come his way.

One-dimensional gameplay works better with one-dimensional character. There's a reason most classic action movies just show a badass main character killing shit, imagine if Colonel Matrix in Commando started a speech in the middle of the movie about how war is terrible and made him do horrible things, maybe shed a couple of tears etc. It would ruin the movie, all Col. Matrix needs is a plot-device (rescue his daughter) to kill a shit-load of bad guys and look macho while doing
If we ignore the sandbox murdering, isn't Nico just killing as a defense? I mean, his cousin got attacked by crazed Albanians, and then Russians or something.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone else notice how all the chicks in the trailer have really, and I mean really wide hips?
American culture is African culture.
Not only African, everyone. The white chicks too. It's like they used one model (with wide hips) for every woman.
Ahem...

Let's hope they don't dig up some furry hard-drive from a thousand years from now.

Last edited:
I remember there were parts of IV where you're basically forced to perform cold blooded executions. That turns murder into a deliberate choice. Again, that's fine in an RPG where you can roleplay a guy who murders people for all sorts of reasons, but here it's already established that Nico is a good guy. I found it very distasteful at the time.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I remember there were parts of IV where you're basically forced to perform cold blooded executions. That turns murder into a deliberate choice. Again, that's fine in an RPG where you can roleplay a guy who murders people for all sorts of reasons, but here it's already established that Nico is a good guy. I found it very distasteful at the time.
I never got the impression that he was a "good guy". But I guess it depends on what we classify as good in this context(aka GTA context). And there were a couple of murder choices, you either killed or let go.

Häyhä

Arbiter
If we ignore the sandbox murdering, isn't Nico just killing as a defense? I mean, his cousin got attacked by crazed Albanians, and then Russians or something.

It's been many years since I played the game, but yes if I remember correctly it starts out with Niko defending Roman and therefore his first killings are quite justified, but the game quickly devolves into Niko killing people left and right for whatever reasons the developers put in to have something for the player to do. By trying to make GTA main character more human, sympathetic and relatable it actually works counter to that and backfires for me. Now if you want to make a game about criminal amending their ways, that's well and good but it would need different gameplay than GTA, maybe an adventure game for example.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I meant Niko's character and his seeming motivations don't work with the context of the gameplay, he wants to forget violence and his past and yet he'll quite happily almost immediately forgets all this and goes along with any murdering come his way.
I mean, it's his internal conflict, it could go both ways
He wants to move on from the war and his past sins, but he also wants revenge and he's shown from the start to be a thoroughly cynic bastard (an aspect of him, which is always presented in contrast with his cousin)
Even the endings are somewhat binary - Niko either finally makes a real effort to cut ties with crime and because of it the final cutscene shows a glimmer of hope - or compromises yet again and final cutscene makes it clear he will never change

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

-The game will be very critical of Woke culture
doubt-press-x.gif

Massive cope, the game will be filled with jabs towards DeSantis and the other Florida republicans. And I say this while not being a fan of the guy. The game was on full production during Covid and the height of the BLM riots, I'll eat my shoes if I see an AAA game produced during those times that was anti woke. I wouldnt be surprised if we have an obvious DeSantis stand in, like Family Guy did with Trump:

images

Rock "six pointed" Star is extremely jewish, DeShabbos is extremely jewish, pressing X

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom