Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. Toughts so far=shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
I love hard games, but the controls here just suck. The actual dodging controls (Protip: Controls relative to your character's facing with a camera that isn't is a stupid idea) are more effort than figuring out when to dodge.

Do the controls get less stupid farther in? Is the first boss in level 2 just meant to be stupid hard instead of actually hard? Am I supposed to grind mission 1?

KalosKagathos

Learned
Start with the Trickster style if you have trouble with R1+X dodging. That way you can dodge just by pressing O, and you'll get an air dash (a ton of invincibility frames on it) after you level up the style.

Controls are perfectly fine. You only need to change the default layout if you use the Gunslinger style, in which case mapping shooting to the shoulder button is a good idea, so you can keep charging all the time. That's on a gamepad. The default keyboard layout doesn't need to be changed at all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm good at Godhand but never had the patience for DMC 3. Never got used to the controls.

KalosKagathos

Learned
4 improved the basics a bit by allowing you to switch between the styles on the fly, but had worse enemy and boss design. Nero was a boring character to play. I'd say 3 is much better overall.

If you take the whole series, 3 > 1 > 4 >> 2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah I agree about Nero. His combat styles felt like they were trying too hard to add diversity. Dante was the shit.

But does DMC3 have the PC difficulty like in DMC4? The one which adds 4 times as many monsters to levels. Because that was like playing Diablo except with a good combat.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Nope. Heaven or Hell is the only gimmick difficulty in 3. The PC port is generally pretty shit. I think it was done by some mobile phone company, not in-house by Capcom, like the PC version of 4 was.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
deuxhero said:
Is the first boss in level 2 just meant to be stupid hard instead of actually hard?
You're stuck on the Hell Vanguard? On the SE normal difficulty? You're in for a lot of brick walls. Don't grind, eventually the patterns'll become clear and you'll take that thing in your sleep.
KalosKagathos said:
Nero was a boring character to play.
Hey, I hear he's Feargus Urquhart's favorite character...

If you think the boss of the second level is hard, tell us how the third level goes. Should be great fun, he's the most annoying boss in the game for me other than the 2nd to last one. If you die enough the game will let you go down a difficulty. :smug:

Controls are perfectly fine, but you might want to mess with the configs. I played the PC port so I can't help you with that. Get the double jump ability early to increase your mobility a ton. Once you get that double jump and some more weapons the game gets a lot more playable. No shame in a bit of grinding, just go back to the first level and A or S rank it a few times.

Trickster works for dodging but it's kind of a cop-out, its really better to learn the dodge/rolling invincibility frames and get to use gunslinger or swordmaster for more A-A-A-Awesome moves. Royal Guard is only for ridiculously good players who know the exact frame to parry every single enemy's hits, don't even bother with it.

As for DMC4, Dante's diminished weapon variety sucked even though opening up the styles was a good idea. No Nevan makes me cry. Nero was a total piece of shit. In exchange for any weapon variety at all, he gets an overpowered pistol, and overpowered cinematic starter (throws), and an overpowered QTE every time he makes an attack (weapon charge thing). He's basically the poster child for consoletarded decline. LDK mode on PC is an absolute blast with Dante though.

deuxhero

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Jasede said:
I'm good at Godhand but never had the patience for DMC 3. Never got used to the controls.
Wha? God Hand controls have a much steeper learning curve.

"tap the right stick in the direction to dodge" vs "while locked onto an enemy, hold the analog stick in a direction dependent upon Dante's facing, press x". God Hand's controls were really easy to figure out.

The paterns are alreddy clear. Getting the bloody controls to work is the hard part.

KalosKagathos

Learned
God Hand is more intuitive, but it requires you to move your hand away from face buttons. No such problem in DMC. Besides, it's not like jumping instead of rolling is a big deal: jumps have invincibility frames too.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Near the beginning of the animation. You can get around a second of invincibility if you use Trickster or Royal Guard by combining defensive moves: cancelling a jump into an air dash or a roll into the guarding stance. Takes some practice, obviously.

The Trickster wall run is completely invincible for the whole duration, I think, but you need, you know, a wall to do it.

deuxhero said:
OK, with trickster's easy dodge the boss went from annoying to piss easy.

Trickster is equipped by default for a reason...it's helpful for beginners, and really good in general. I find the offensive styles (Swordmaster, Gunslinger, and *spoiler1*) to be tricky to use because defense is grounded in things like jumps and rolls. Basically, trying to get your hitbox out of the way. Jumps and rolls don't grant as generous an amount of invincibility-frames as Trickster dodges do. When you are starting out, you also can't use air hikes to make for additional dodging ability, making Trickster almost necessary for defense. Royal Guard is great for defense, but it requires frame-perfect timing, and a knowledge of enemy animations and attacks; it's tough to use. I've never really mastered it much, and I play a lot. I mostly only use Trickster, a little bit of Swordmaster for combo-fun, and the third defensive style *spoiler2* for a few select situations.

Also, once Trickster is Level 2, you get a fun move called Sky Star, which allows you to dodge in the air. Try seeing what happens when you use it to dodge "through" certain attacks, and check out the i-frames you can pick up. Then learn to do low-altitude jumps plus sky stars for a great dodging regimen. Kind of broken, but fun, and very helpful in many scenarios.

1. Doppelganger style; never use it much except for the secret "co-op" feature if you have the best unlockable costume.

2. Quicksilver style: Time manipulation is fun. So are massive amounts of i-frames on activating it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom