Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

AndyS

Augur
As I write the script and collect the footage for my first analysis video, new subjects keep coming to mind. I have so much covered now that the video will be longer that even I am normally willing to watch (such a video).

Another just came to mind: the implied pacifism in these Batman games. Batman won't kill Joker, even after losing Talia, but is perfectly happy dropping goons on their heads from several meters up and exploding them with gel and their own mines. They're all fine, apparently. Just unconscious, probably. I don't think it can be done in a video game about him. Maybe I'll suggest scoring the player at the end of the game and subtracting points for "accidents." A kill count. Use footage of Batman blowing up all those people in Burton's movies (several in the first, at least one in Returns). I don't know the comics from before the strict pacifism.
A lot of this is particular to modern, post-1980s Batman. Previous to that, Batman killing the Joker was never a debate because the Joker wasn't a mass serial killer (nor was any other Batman villain), just a sort of belligerent prankster, and the tone was more in line with classical adventure/swashbuckling instead of bone-crushing violence. Batman was basically a nice guy who got into being a masked crimefighter because of a tragic childhood incident, not some kind of sphinctered up child-man who was obsessed with his parents' deaths. Although I think the Arkham games are fun to play, I don't take them very seriously as Batman stories because they just take themselves a bit too seriously.

Hell Swarm

Educated
As I write the script and collect the footage for my first analysis video, new subjects keep coming to mind. I have so much covered now that the video will be longer that even I am normally willing to watch (such a video).

Another just came to mind: the implied pacifism in these Batman games. Batman won't kill Joker, even after losing Talia, but is perfectly happy dropping goons on their heads from several meters up and exploding them with gel and their own mines. They're all fine, apparently. Just unconscious, probably. I don't think it can be done in a video game about him. Maybe I'll suggest scoring the player at the end of the game and subtracting points for "accidents." A kill count. Use footage of Batman blowing up all those people in Burton's movies (several in the first, at least one in Returns). I don't know the comics from before the strict pacifism.
A lot of this is particular to modern, post-1980s Batman. Previous to that, Batman killing the Joker was never a debate because the Joker wasn't a mass serial killer (nor was any other Batman villain), just a sort of belligerent prankster, and the tone was more in line with classical adventure/swashbuckling instead of bone-crushing violence. Batman was basically a nice guy who got into being a masked crimefighter because of a tragic childhood incident, not some kind of sphinctered up child-man who was obsessed with his parents' deaths. Although I think the Arkham games are fun to play, I don't take them very seriously as Batman stories because they just take themselves a bit too seriously.
No no, you must like our GRIM DARK GRAPHIC NOVEL about a man dressing like a bat. It's a GRAPHIC NOVEL So it's for adults

Spike

Educated

They're written by Paul Dini so they're quality.

Spike

Educated
Of course, one of the reasons why these videos are so long, is that the YouTube monetization system encourages people to write like they are trying to reach the required word count for a school essay.

I don't think after 30m or so it makes much of a difference as far as the YouTube algorithm is concerned.

I haven't watched PatricianTV's more recent videos since the games he has covered aren't of interest to me (aside from Starfield but i want to play it first myself before watching anything about it) but i did watch his Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim videos and IMO while a few things here and there could be shortened, the difference wouldn't be that big because the videos try to cover everything, from story, to mechanics to the game's development history and try to do this in a way that shows in practice (in the video itself) how things are affected - and where appropriate also show how doing things differently affects things too (he made multiple playthroughs with different characters doing different things).

I have watched shorter videos by other people and they always leave a lot of things out and/or are vague whereas Patrician tries to cover most things and do it in detail. At the end of the day these aren't reviews (the titles are just for clickbaity engagement, if it wasn't already obvious), these are analysis videos and the games have a lot of things to discuss/show in them.

One of the many retarded Superhero tropes.
The good guy can't kill the bad guy because..."reasons".
"We are better than them!!"
Joker is a character that is incredibly popular, losing him won't sit well with the fans.
Imagine how much damage Batman has caused by NOT killing Joker and allowing him to rampage through Gotham...
Joker died in the game, but it was because he tried to take the cure to the mutated Titan virus from Batman and the vial fell on the floor.

"You wanna know something funny? Even after everything you've done, I would have saved you."

"That actually is **cough, cough** pretty funny!" **Dead**

Yeah, didn't work for me, after everything I had done to my opponents. You wouldn't want them to bounce off invisible walls when you're on a rooftop or high catwalk. Having Batman automatically catch them with a rope would only disrupt the action. Since there is no way to believably save every opponent, the story should ignore that aspect of Batman. Like you said, if he kills a few, it's for a greater good.
Batman is the ultimate Kantian.

lightbane

Arcane
Imagine how much damage Batman has caused by NOT killing Joker and allowing him to rampage through Gotham...
Status quo is a bitch! I like how The Punisher does just that and wokes hated him enough to destroy his character, turn him into a crying pussy that went into literal hell (for extra lulz he died in a story arc earlier and Heaven recruited him cuz he was good enough to be repurposed to kill demons, I guess, but that one was retconned) and then retconned him with a black guy that follows a girlboss. The new Punisher barely lasted 10 issues.

No no, you must like our GRIM DARK GRAPHIC NOVEL about a man dressing like a bat. It's a GRAPHIC NOVEL So it's for adults
"SEE ME HOW I OFFER YOU A RANDOM GARBAGE BIN! THREATENINGLY!"

911 Jumper

Educated
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Exposes The Industry (8 minutes)

Description
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Launched to a host of impressive review scores matching some of the industries best. A high the series hasn't hit in over a decade. Their success in the open world genre exposes the one of the industries weak points. Fashion over function. Development times in AAA keep getting longer. Square Enix had other plans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom