Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good/cheap RPGs available via digital distribution?

Severian Silk

Can anyone recommend some good deals on RPGs that are available for purchase (and download) over the Net? I got Star Wolves for $9.99 at GamersGate, but that's all I've been able to find so far. Everything on Steam seems to be mostly $19.99 or above (except for Sacred Plus).

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Crispy said:
http://www.direct2drive.com/3/78/product/Buy-Deus-Ex:-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-Download

Ten bucks for a decent game. Can't beat it.

Not really an RPG.

The best bet for cheap downloadable RPG's is GOG.com, but I'm sure you've already looked at it.
Steam doesn't really have anything good in the RPG department that's not in the overpriced Diablo clone catregory

Silellak

Cipher
phanboy_iv said:
Crispy said:
http://www.direct2drive.com/3/78/product/Buy-Deus-Ex:-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-Download

Not really on RPG.

The best bet for cheap downloadable RPG's is GOG.com, but I'm sure you've already looked at it.
Steam doesn't really have anything good in the RPG department that's not in the overpriced Diablo clone catregory

Unfortunately he may not have access to GOG.com, since it's still in beta.

Gametap has some good RPGs, if I remember correctly, but I canceled my subscription awhile back. I doubt that'd be what you want, though, since you won't actually own the games in question.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Silellak said:
phanboy_iv said:
Crispy said:

Not really on RPG.

Gametap has some good RPGs, if I remember correctly, but I canceled my subscription awhile back. I doubt that'd be what you want, though, since you won't actually own the games in question.

If he wants to try, I've got an access code.

Totally agree about Gametap.

Silellak

Cipher
phanboy_iv said:
Silellak said:
phanboy_iv said:
Crispy said:

Not really on RPG.

If he wants to try, I've got an access code.

Totally agree about Gametap.

I canceled my subscription the first time they actually removed games from their library. I had quite a few games I wanted to go back and play "at some point", but the realization that they might be gone in a year made me decide the subscription just wasn't worth it.

If I'd thought about it, it would have been fairly obvious that the game library might shift over time due to contracts with game publishers, but it just hadn't occurred to me until some games I had wanted to play were removed.

Severian Silk

Yeah, I've been looking at Geneforge. WildTangent (WildGames) has this "WildCoins" deal where you apply "points" towards your purchases and get a discount to boot (or something like that). I'm not sure if it actually amounts to being a good deal, though. And they sell Bejeweled 2 as well, which I've been meaning to get

I'd like to avoid any subscription-based services (unless of course they don't have a time limit attached to them, like the WildTangent service).

I hadn't heard of GOG. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As for Deus Ex, I started playing that a few years ago but thought the story was to hackneyed to continue (it reminded me too much of South Park). I didn't get far enough in it to comment on the gameplay.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Assnuggets said:
As for Deus Ex, I started playing that a few years ago but thought the story was to hackneyed to continue (it reminded me too much of South Park). I didn't get far enough in it to comment on the gameplay.

WAT?

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
Assnuggets said:

WAT?

The story did have many holes, and was not particularly believable.
Conspiracy plots aren't new. But it was quite fun. Just not the "best game ever", as I've heard some people say.

Data4

Arcane
phanboy_iv said:
racofer said:
Any RPG is available through BitTorrent's digital distribution system. It's really cheap as well.

Price isn't everything. Almost everything, but not quite.

You have a point, but you'll find that the prices offered by BitTorrent are quite possibly the best around. If you're into such a thing.

Severian Silk

Jaesun said:
Assnuggets said:

WAT?

Well, I think they both have the same sort of "FUCK YOU" view of society.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom