Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gog fanboys are the worst fanboys on earth!

larpingdude18

Educated
http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_star_control_1_2

ArbitraryWater: Can't you totally get Star Control 2 for free, legally?

Petrell: Yes, the 3DO source based "The Ur-Quan Masters" is free, open source (GPL) and completely legal. What GOG offers is the original PC (DOS?) version.

Ultrace: And that's why I'll be picking this up. I enjoyed the PC version of the game; I'm not interested in the Ur-Quan Masters; as an enhancement (of a different platform of the game, even), it's not the game I once played. To those who enjoy UQM, more power to you--I've never seen a version of SC2 that you could go wrong with, but SC2 was one of the three games I really wanted to see on GOG that I feared they would never get; this bundle makes me quite happy.

Smannesman: Cute, but why would I buy it when the superior remake can be downloaded for free?

snap-d:Regardless - do you not agree that a game of this quality belongs on GOG?

GOG - I'm very happy to find another reason to give you my money.

Damn good work GOG! If this keeps up, you certainly delivered on your promise.

For me, SC2 is what GOG is all about - delivering good old classics to a modern audience.

I'll definitely be buying this. Thanks GOG!

5.99 is even more kudos :)

Ok guys you sold me bought along with alone in the dark. Now to hide my credit card from my wife :)

Yes, I still have the original SC1 & 2 bundle (complete with poster), and yes, I also have UCM, but I'm still dropping six bucks on this package for the following reasons:

1) SC2 is one of the best "shooter" games ever made and if the creators might get more of my money, fine.
2) GOG is a kick-ass distributor and deserves my continued support.
3) Atari put its neck out to redistribute its old games, so I don't mind rewarding them for it.
4) I can't imagine all of GOG's work on these games resulting in something I wouldn't enjoy playing.
5) It's only six, frigging bucks for two great games and I'm not a "Scrooge."

ass_licker.gif
ass_licker.gif
ass_licker.gif

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
On the topic of remakes, just try http://www.openttd.org/en/ (a remake of transport tycoon). Some time ago I just wanted to check if it runs on my Ubuntu in a big resolution. Just check. Checking if it runs took me an hour, it's so addictive.

Still, if someone wants to play the oiriginal game, which for all we know might do something better than the remake, what's the problem with that?

larpingdude18

Educated
It's not a remake. It's a port (based on source-code and game resources released by Toys for Bob in 2002) with OPTIONAL extra features.

EDIT:

Let me just try to clear up a few misunderstandings regarding The Ur-Quan Masters. It has been referred to in this thread variously as a "remake", an "updated version" and a "3DO-based version". All three are essentially correct, but don't say much about what it actually is.

What it is, is a source port of the game. The port is based on the 3DO code, because the PC code has been lost in the mists of time. However, the differences between the two versions are not very large, and, and this is the cruncher, every feature that differs between the two versions can be configured to use either the PC style or the 3DO style. All the assets are the original ones, so it is not what is traditionally considered a remake. It is simply a hassle-free way of playing the original game, with the added bonus that you get the best of both worlds. For instance, the 3DO version had voice acting, while the PC version did not. You can choose to play with the voices or not, as you see fit. Thus, you can play the game exactly as it was originally on the PC, or you can mix and match the features as you want. And because it is a source port, there is no emulation involved. No DOSBox, nothing.

That being said, I do encourage people to buy the game here, but play The Ur-Quan Masters instead. Here, you will also get SC1, and hopefully send a signal that these games still have lots of commercial value. The original creators have been trying to get permission to make a new game in the series for a few years now. Hopefully, this release will be a step towards that end.

DakaSha

Arcane
Matrix (the publisher) fanboys are the worst. trust me on this

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, I still have the original SC1 & 2 bundle (complete with poster), and yes, I also have UCM, but I'm still dropping six bucks on this package for the following reasons:

1) SC2 is one of the best "shooter" games ever made and if the creators might get more of my money, fine.
2) GOG is a kick-ass distributor and deserves my continued support.
3) Atari put its neck out to redistribute its old games, so I don't mind rewarding them for it.
4) I can't imagine all of GOG's work on these games resulting in something I wouldn't enjoy playing.
5) It's only six, frigging bucks for two great games and I'm not a "Scrooge."

So people are blowing gaskets over 3 bucks here? Star Control 1 is definetely worth 3 bucks on its own, but even I have to agree that 3 bucks is a bit too much for one of the most stable pieces of code ever to come out of the 1990s, especially when a superior version is available for free.

That said, there are still minor features from the DOS version that are missing. The occasional bit of dialogue (including the important one that hints that you may not have all the time in the world to play), the lander "bug" that I can use when and if I don't feel like scouring dead systems for minerals/biologicals, and the end credit dialogues were missing the last time I played UQM. So... yeah, feel free to "support the creators" if you're a puritan. Since I ignore GOG, I'm not sure if the money goes to Atari or Toys for Bob. Anyone know which party gets it?

(I own all three Star Control games, original boxes and all. No, I wouldn't dream of buying them "again" for 3 bucks each through a digital distribution vendor. That's one of the big reasons I don't use GOG: I already own every game I want to own.)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They could have put on a free repository for the opensource, superior version, so that misinformed hipsters could play the definitive version.

But they didn't.

MetalCraze

Arcane
From the company that was selling you DOSBox, scene cracks and fan patches...

...comes an open source game for money

This bring GoG much potato

Zeus

Cipher
But... Star Control 1 & 2 were Abandonware!!!

:x

Seriously, though, it is funny to see this much whining directed towards the two-game bundle, just because the second game--or at least, a port of the 3DO (console!) version of the game--has been available for free.

It's $6. At that price, consider SC2 a free bonus to SC1, the game whose source code was lost and was never ported to 3DO (and then back again as Ur-Quan Masters).

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
From the company that was selling you DOSBox, scene cracks and fan patches...

...comes an open source game for money

This bring GoG much potato
Open source doesn't necessarily mean free.

larpingdude18

Educated
Ur-Quan Masters 0.7.0 released!

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

changelog said:
NEW FEATURES

- Added the missing bits to the no-voice versions of Mycon, Syreen and
Utwig dialogue
- New lander reports for Supox ruins and Ultron. The reports text
is new content from TFB.
- Added spoken Slylandro probe coordinates
- Remixes are now selectable from the setup menu
- Added a "safe mode", which will ignore settings. Useful if you've somehow
wrecked your configuration files.
- Added --addondir commandline option
- Added --keepaspectratio to keep correct aspect ratio when using
custom resolutions in OpenGL mode
- New addon machanism allows greater flexibility for selecting which
resource goes with which game element.
- Joystick text input improved
- Unicode strings now could theoretically support UCS-4 on all platforms
- Experimental support for Symbian S60 3rd edition
- Support for Windows CE
- Added fullscreen/windowed toggle key F11
- Support for 3DO "ship spin" videos
- Better location description in savegame summaries
- Cancel key will now quit out of the Manifest Menu
- Error boxes on MacOSX are now actually native to the OS - no need to check
Console.app anymore.

BUGFIXES

- Properly account for simultaneous destruction in SuperMelee.
- Ending a battle with a simultaneous death no longer triggers an
assertion
- Druuge no longer turn hostile after attempting a salvage
- Fixed Mmrnmhrm's X-Form transformation without energy use
- Fuel and distance estimates are now more accurate
- Analog joysticks less sensitive to jitter
- Cannot talk to Ilwrath with a 'caster anymore after they die off
- Fixed enemy ships getting recrewed between encounters in HyperSpace
- Old Windows installer was horribly obsolete; fixed now.
- Fixed rendering error when entering the orbit of a shielded planet
- Fixed planet blinking when exiting scan
- Menu sounds restored after editing a control set name.
- Fixed a freeze when quickly escaping melee.
- Fixed misaligned cargo count
- Fixed a crash when filling fuel tanks over 10
- Comm code rewrite, fixing a lot of minor annoyances
- Team configuration in netplay no longer desyncs
- Fixed Melee menu timeout when both sides are Cyborgs
- Fixed AI ship not moving on warp in
- Revert gfx settings entirely when a mode switch fails
- Fix for weird colors problem on MacOSX with SDL 1.2.14
- Lander will no longer hang when killed on planets with a lot of
natural disasters
- Fixed crash when saving a game into the last slot while having
too many devices on board
- Fixed crashes and potential weirdness when loading savegames from
a Homeworld encounter screen
- Fixed a crash when conversing with music disabled
- Extremely busy battle sequences (Orz vs. Orz with many space marines
out, for instance) no longer introduces graphical glitches
- Fixed rendering bug that would occasionally make a ship just be solid
blue all the time
- Objects in melee made of multiple "parts" no longer jitter during zoom
- Fixed a crash on startup if uqm.cfg did not exist
- Extremely rapid key presses will no longer be lost at low framerates
- 3DO videos now work after a resolution change
- OpenGL texture loading uses surface pitch instead of screen width,
improving compatibility across older graphics cards.
- Miscellaneous conversational typo and timing fixes
- 999.9:999.9 is now reachable in HyperSpace
- Do not match singular stars when given a prefix in star search
- Fixed wrong Sa-Matra guards icons after Kohr-Ah win
- Canceling load from the main menu returns to main menu
- Gas giants can no longer have negative masses

INTERNAL CHANGES

- Code cleanup; many warnings removed
- Massive changes to the way the resource system works. This is
mostly interesting in that 3DO voices, 3DO videos, and 3DO music
are now addon packs like any other.
- Code reorganization; old stuff removed, new stuff better set-up
- 32-bit graphics everywhere internally.
- Refactored universe generation
- Pthread support
- Removed the 256-frame limit on .ani files

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom