Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Goblins series

Arbiter

Scholar
I played Goblins 2 and 3 in the 90s and enjoyed both.
Are Goblins 1 and Adventures of Woodruff still worth playing?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Goblins 1 is very good, but the health bar it has kind of makes things annoying. I can't think of why they would have one, outside of padding the game. Doing actions that are wrong in each level hurts you. Which is a problem since you can't restore health, and there are a lot of things that can hurt you. When combined with the game not having a real save function, only level codes, playing the game completely legitimately can go badly. Because level codes save the amount of health you have. As cheap as it sounds, I suggest playing it normally, but using level codes somewhere off the internet instead of the ones you'll undoubtedly get half-dead.
Have yet to play Woodruff or Goblins 4, so I can't comment on those.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Woodruff is great, very recommended.

Otoh, while Goblins 2 and 3 are some of my favourite adventure games ever, I think Goblins 1 is best avoided. The health bar mentioned above is already an annoyance, but what makes it utterly frustrating is the fact that the game also has bullshit traps that you can't see coming. Example - there are three stalactites that you can pick to swing over a gap and all of them look identical. However, two of them are traps and will hurt you. Hoho bet you didn't see that coming.

Plus, the thing is that, as in all Goblins games, the various ways in which you can fail and the torment this makes your dudes go through is more often than not downright hilarious, so being punished for seeing it simply runs contrary to the spirit of the game.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Goblins 1 is best enjoyed with a walkthrough, primary reason being the health bar. It's still thoroughly enjoyable in this way, well worth your time. Played it through with my stepkids last year, well worth it

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong

GOBLiiiNS5 Kickstarter​

Not sure if this is in addition to the French Kickstarter that happened earlier this year, or if that one failed..

Gobliiins5 is an an adventure game, full of details, animations, sounds and music. There are many characters, and the background is full of details. There are many things to do in each level. The level of difficulty is not too high, so you can’t get stuck very long in the same area. The main concern is to favor the discovery of the game world and the pleasure of participating in a big adventure.

dc8285cf50d46319991600853507dfb5_original.png

I am Pierre Gilhodes, author and graphic designer of a series of video games from the 90s, Gobliiins, Gobliins2, Goblins3 and Woodruff & the Schnibble of Azimuth. A few years ago, I made a 3d sequel, Gobliiins4. But, I think that the gamers prefer my 2d world, so here it is again, the new 2 D Gobliiins, just like before, for PC, 640 pixels by 480.

66d21db426d7ebc562ac594c7c28cd37_original.jpg

I worked in the field of video games for a long time, often as a 2d and 3d animator. I also did comics, illustrations and humorous drawings.
The use of the excellent "Adventure Game Studio" software, which offers the possibility of programming its own adventure games, the old school way, allows me to relaunch the series and be at work from A to Z to refine the game play of the game.
The display is 640 by 480 pixels but the backgrounds are much bigger, the scenery moves with the characters. The game will be in French and English, other languages under study.

7794663a8ff1054f23fddca8479d6f63_original.jpg

The music is made by Cris, Philipp Alexander Marguerre and Thierry Teodori.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom